IGNORED

Who Feels Priviliged?

Rich

Very few in the last six or seven years, Carey, Caulker, Maynard, Skuse, Noble and Trundle (for the Palace goals).

As well as Carey, the likes of Tinnion, Barnard, Bell, Goater, Brooker and Goodridge are my all-time favourites, which probably gives you a good indication of when I started watching City. I did think Junior Bent was a good laugh as well.

Like others have said, I wouldn't swap BCFC for any team, we seem to get it all, from great moments, to horrible ones, to the outright crazy (Wolves at home a few years ago where it was raining sideways). The players that always stick out for me are Goater, Tinnion, Murray, Adebola, Hartley, Caulker. They just oozed class, and it was great seeing them in a red shirt. Honerable mentions to players like Bell, Orr, Carey, and Jon Stead as well, they've been in some big moments for the club.

Me... and I tell all the glory-hunters the same.

It's not just the players Galley, Walshy, Whitehead, Scotty, Super Bob, Norman et al but having followed them from the late 60's we've experienced everything English football can offer - all divisions, cup finals, rivalries, highly respected mob, great ground/pubs, sell-outs ... just brilliant and genuinely don't think I could have picked a better club to follow.

Brings a tear to the eye reading that!

I've been going since 86 / 87 - far too many players to mention, but the last 6 or 7 seasons have been pretty average I would suggest, or am I letting the last 3 seasons cloud my judgement of a very good unit that GJ built, regardless of what certain people here think about the fella

Maybe it's just football in general right now, it's not the same game as it was when I was a kid. I remember my Dad telling me that Jimmy Greaves was the best player ever, and I could never understand how he didn't rate someone from the present day. Now I get it......

Last 6 or 7 years is a struggle, I'd go with Caulker for sure just for quality...for grit I'd have Carey and for most over-rated I'd have Trundle, his name said it all - sorry to all you Trundle fans out there, but I could have found better ways of lashing £1M at that time

Over my "n" years of watching City, players that I've loved include Tom Richie, Tinman, Jordan, God Taylor, Jacki (with reservations), Walshy and his shuffle, Rob Newman and Gary Shelton, top players all.

Last 6 or 7 years...

Murray - all time favourite player watching City since the mid-90s, Carey, Tinman, Caulker (a class act), Hartley, David Noble, Basso, Maynard (when he had that season of wonder goals), Brooker (an absolute menace before all his injury problems), Orr, Alex Russell, Jamie McCombe (will never forget his header at Doncaster in the promotion season).

Going further back - Goater, Cramb, Bell, Barnard, Brennan, Doherty, Tistimetanu were all quality footballers who I loved watching at their best.

For me the real mark of class is watching a player do the business for us knowing full well that you'll see them go on to do it a higher, if not the highest, level.

Players that have gone onwards & upwards must include : (in my time of watching, not exhaustive. . . )

Super Bob (WBA & Bolton)

Rob Newman (Norwich in the prem?)

Andy Cole (nuff said)

Jim Brennan (Forest & Norwich) (still never forget the Pulis exclusive at St George School for the AGM)

the Goat (Man C)

Paul Agostino (1860 Munich)

Stephen Caulker (surely an England CB for years to come)

Alan Walsh (Besiktas)

Oh, and obviously Steve Phillips . . . :tumbleweed:

Interesting that lots of the players mentioned are from L1 days, when team spirit was high and we were winning more often than not. Arguably, our current team is better, although names like Barnard, Shaun Taylor, Murray and Bell are far more commonly mentioned than McAllister, Skuse, Elliott, Fontaine and several other of our Championship regulars.

Guess it proves that winning helps to form a bond with the crowd, and to some extent may cloud our judgement of a player's abilities.

For what it's worth, my best remembered players would be Tinnion, Murray, Stead, Sno, Bell, Orr and going further back, Adam Locke and Keith Welch.

The only reason I asked about the last six or seven years, is because this included our promotion year and has been our most sustained successful period for an awfully long time.

I'm sure that if we did falter again (heaven forbid), we would look upon these years more fondly.

So forget the distant past for a while, it's not about that. Think of the recent past, the first night match against WBA, Wembley, or how we somehow held our own, or even beat more gifted sides, then think of the pleasure we got in doing so and the players that achieved that.

scott murray of course my favourite player becoming a city fan and all round best winger iv seen in a city shirt in my time , lee trundle not really given a chance but still gave great moments! , christian roberts for the playoff semi final and mansfield games never celebrated so hard and amasing goals!! um.......... leroy lita had great potential if he had a better attitude, david noble, basso, stead, tinnion and hartley............

. . . And Dave Rennie for Coventry in the Prem - very under-rated in BS3 I thought

up until Brian Mitchell and the Russell Osman gang turned up I thought rennie was pretty much the most unpopular player we'd had. i do remember him though scoring a 30 yarder at twerton in my first away game i think???? mists of time have fogged the memory a little :/

up until Brian Mitchell and the Russell Osman gang turned up I thought rennie was pretty much the most unpopular player we'd had. i do remember him though scoring a 30 yarder at twerton in my first away game i think???? mists of time have fogged the memory a little :/

Not even close!

I remember in one of our promotion seasons going away to Notts County and they were right behind us in the table. We lost one of centrebacks early in the game and Rennie slotted straight in and we ground out a 0-0 draw. Good player that went to player at a higher level.

Spot on!

But only by the clueless element who can't recognise a decent player when they see one. Unfortunately, we have plenty of those. If he'd done nothing but run around like an eejit for 90 minutes they'd think he was great but because his style was understated and considered his value to the team went Whooosh over rather a lot of heads. Him and Shelton were a top combo IMHO.

I usually have a good memory or two of every season. Last season it will be a team one rather than an individual; the way we went from being a joke team of individuals who would look poor in a Sunday League and then the complete reversal when MacInnes was appointed and the effort and team play that was shown on the initial run that pulled us out of the relegation zone. Such a contrast and such a pleasure.

Archived