IGNORED

All Time Brstol City Xi

Southport Red

OK, so this is VERY unoriginal, but nothing much else is happening so let's entertain ourselves with this good old chestnut.

What would be your all-time Bristol City first team? You can pick players from any era and you do not have to limit yourself to only those you have seen play. I'd go with

Mike Gibson

Jim Brennan

Norman Hunter

Louis Carey

Terry Cooper

Brian Tinnion

Jackie

Peter Cormack

Trevor Tainton

John Galley*

John Ateyo

Subs

Paul Cheesley

Geoff Merrick

Paul Hartley

Chris Garland

John Shaw

* Cheese is probably better than Galley but big John was my boyhood hero and heart beats head on this one

OK, so this is VERY unoriginal, but nothing much else is happening so let's entertain ourselves with this good old chestnut.

What would be your all-time Bristol City first team? You can pick players from any era and you do not have to limit yourself to only those you have seen play. I'd go with

Mike Gibson

Jim Brennan

Norman Hunter

Louis Carey

Terry Cooper

Brian Tinnion

Jackie

Peter Cormack

Trevor Tainton

John Galley*

John Ateyo

Subs

Paul Cheesley

Geoff Merrick

Paul Hartley

Chris Garland

John Shaw

* Cheese is probably better than Galley but big John was my boyhood hero and heart beats head on this one

No Gerry Gow?

No Gerry Gow?

Or Billy Wedlock or Ginger Peacock?

These XIs always need a timeframe, unless somebody here is very old and remembers our defeated FA cup finalist team and can compare and contrast that with the late 70s top flight team.

Oops, forgot Gow. Gow instead of Cormack.

Thought about Fatty, Louis got his place. Ginger Peacock WhoTF???

Dunno Eddie, you could do one per decade or pair of decades but my intention wasn't that specific or precise ( which is why the wonderful John Galley gets into my team, objectively, he wouldn't get near the all time, much as I worshipped him

Oops, forgot Gow. Gow instead of Cormack.

Thought about Fatty, Louis got his place. Ginger Peacock WhoTF???

Dunno Eddie, you could do one per decade or pair of decades but my intention wasn't that specific or precise ( which is why the wonderful John Galley gets into my team, objectively, he wouldn't get near the all time, much as I worshipped him

True, they can get a bit anorak.

Ernie Ginger Peacock:

1946–1959 Bristol City 343 (7)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Peacock

My mum used to watch the g*s with her family, and always remembers the gas hatred of "Dirty" Ginger Peacock, the only City player she can name (not into football at all but the family went when she was a kid so she went).

True, they can get a bit anorak.

Ernie Ginger Peacock:

1946–1959 Bristol City 343 (7)

http://en.wikipedia....i/Ernie_Peacock

My mum used to watch the g*s with her family, and always remembers the gas hatred of "Dirty" Ginger Peacock, the only City player she can name (not into football at all but the family went when she was a kid so she went).

Well despite the fact that I had never heard of him until just now, Ginger Peacock is now a legend in my eyes.

Thanks Eddie for the info.

One Ginger Peacock, there's only one Ginger Peacock, one Ginger Peacock, there's only one Ginger Peacock.

Well despite the fact that I had never heard of him until just now, Ginger Peacock is now a legend in my eyes.

One Ginger Peacock, there's only one Ginger Peacock, one Ginger Peacock, there's only one Ginger Peacock.

I got the impression he was Billy Bremner's badly behaved distant cousin!

Ginger Peacock's battles with Jackie Pitt of Bristol Rovers are legendary and very enterrtaining to watch. See wikipedia reference under Jack Pitt.

Just don't get it with Tinnion, spent practically his whole career in the 3rd division, greatly over-rated, personally i lost all respect for him due to his sulky behaviour after he quit playing, has he ever been to AG since he left us?

Good topic, but I can't comment on any of the greats. So, going purely on players I've seen (1990 onwards), and based on sustained quality (rather than inconsistency).

Basso

Barnard

Shaun Taylor

Caulker

Carey

Tinnion

Hartley

Doherty

Murray

Bob Taylor

Cole

Honourable mentions to Jackie, Junior, Donowa, Wayne, Goater, Agostino, Wilkshere, Orr, Bell, Brennan, Aaron Brown.

Of our current lot, Elliott would be in if he had sustained the highs of his first season with us, and Fontaine, Adomah & Skuse have the potential.

1 Basso (now in place of Moller)

2 Donnie Gillies

3 Micky Bell

5 Gary Collier

6 Norman Hunter

7 Scott Murray

4 Gerry Gow

8 Tommy Doherty

11 Brian Tinnion

9 Andy Cole

10 jacki Dziekanowski

Swede

you have a pic of gary shelton yet you pick

Tommy Doc in front of him!!!! How the duck

Shelton was ten fold better than doc

This question comes up every season, or so it seems. Mods! Please opena page for frequentlyasked questions such as this.

Back on thread, Greatest City team of all time? The team of 1906 with Atyeo replacing Fisher so he could play alongside Maxwell Gilligan.

Good topic, but I can't comment on any of the greats. So, going purely on players I've seen (1990 onwards), and based on sustained quality (rather than inconsistency).

Basso

Barnard

Shaun Taylor

Caulker

Carey

Tinnion

Hartley

Doherty

Murray

Bob Taylor

Cole

Honourable mentions to Jackie, Junior, Donowa, Wayne, Goater, Agostino, Wilkshere, Orr, Bell, Brennan, Aaron Brown.

Of our current lot, Elliott would be in if he had sustained the highs of his first season with us, and Fontaine, Adomah & Skuse have the potential.

This goes back as far as I can remember as well.

Great team that, I'd make room for Jackie though by swapping him with Doherty (which would be no easy decision).

Swede

you have a pic of gary shelton yet you pick

Tommy Doc in front of him!!!! How the duck

Shelton was ten fold better than doc

You are right, I humbly apologise.

I loved Shelts, A brilliant player with the right attitude. Hence my homage.

I suppose we all fall into the trap with the usual suspects.

You rarely see him get a mention nowadays. I wonder what he's doing now.

How about Mike Thresher of the same era ?

Going on my post-84 career watching City (saw them a few times as a kid in the 70s but too few to make a judgement):

No loanees allowed, natch (so that's Caulker out!)

Standard 4-4-2

GK: Ivan Basso - we're not exactly blessed with a huge history here, I liked Sinclair as well mind

RB: Jim Brennan - unlike at LB, we've never had that many super RBs - mind you, Orr comes close

CB: Shaun Taylor - just ahead of John MacPhail

CB: Keith Curle - just for his speed!!!

LB: Martin Scott - so many to choose from, honourable mention to Bell

RM: Scott Murray - Mark Gavin came close (1990 version)

CM: Ivan Testimetanu - Class act, losing him condemned us to relegation

CM: Gary Shelton - what a player. Swapped him for powder-puff Shteve

LM: Alan Walsh - not fast but the BEST left foot ever that I've seen at the Gate

ST: God Taylor - well, durrh

ST: Jacki - see above

Subs x7:

Rob Newman - covers so many positions!

Ronnie Sinclair

Micky Bell

Tinman

Andy Cole

Dave Rennie

Joe Jordan (player manager)

Get in.

Going on my post-84 career watching City (saw them a few times as a kid in the 70s but too few to make a judgement):

No loanees allowed, natch (so that's Caulker out!)

Standard 4-4-2

GK: Ivan Basso - we're not exactly blessed with a huge history here, I liked Sinclair as well mind

RB: Jim Brennan - unlike at LB, we've never had that many super RBs - mind you, Orr comes close

CB: Shaun Taylor - just ahead of John MacPhail

CB: Keith Curle - just for his speed!!!

LB: Martin Scott - so many to choose from, honourable mention to Bell

RM: Scott Murray - Mark Gavin came close (1990 version)

CM: Ivan Testimetanu - Class act, losing him condemned us to relegation

CM: Gary Shelton - what a player. Swapped him for powder-puff Shteve

LM: Alan Walsh - not fast but the BEST left foot ever that I've seen at the Gate

ST: God Taylor - well, durrh

ST: Jacki - see above

Subs x7:

Rob Newman - covers so many positions!

Ronnie Sinclair

Micky Bell

Tinman

Andy Cole

Dave Rennie

Joe Jordan (player manager)

Get in.

Gotta say that is an awsom team having seen them all play over the years, my only change dare i say would put cheesley up front, play jacki in midfield, but dunno who to drop !!!

Archived