IGNORED

Fifa To Trial "hitting The Woodwork Counts As A Goal" Idea.

Fordy62

I'm so bored with the lack of incoming transfers that I thought I'd regale everyone with my favourite post of last season where Jordan Tansley suggested that hitting the woodwork should count as a goal when defending King Kenny and suggesting Liverpool's finishing position in the PL was OK.

It makes me laugh just thinking about it...

I'd like serious consideration given to bigger goals.

Their size was set over 100 years ago when 6' was bloody tall and the goal height and width was set proportionately.

Keepers now are often well over 6' and do pretty much fill the goal making it much harder, in particular, to lob the ball over them. The size of the goals should be increased to reflect this.

Their size was set over 100 years ago when 6' was bloody tall and the goal height and width was set proportionately.

Keepers now are often well over 6' and do pretty much fill the goal making it much harder, in particular, to lob the ball over them. The size of the goals should be increased to reflect this.

Lewis Carey is 5"11!! God help us!!

Whilst up in Edinburgh a few years ago I watched a TV programme where they experimented by increasing the goalmouth proportionaly in size to reflect the increase in heights and reaches of modern day goalkeepers compared to those when the goal dimensions were originally set. Can not recall the goal sizes but they looked huge. During the first half of the game that was played the players continued to try to get in or around the penalty area before shooting. Then they realised the size of the goals and the shots started raining in from all over with quite a number of goals being scored.

Further experiments were carried out inside taking penalties using the enlarged goals. Not one was saved or put wide or over.

Would not prefer to see this introduced though as games would just turn into a shooting gallery.

Yeah, index linked to the world's growth !

But then footballs were mud-soddened canon balls not the light things that fly, bend and dip like today. Boots were heavy leather things that covered the whole ankle and were nearly into leather fetishist territory - not anything as technically advanced as preditors. Goalkeepers weren't the lithe athletes they are now - mainly they were just big and fat.

I know all this because I grew up in this age when you had to put up with all this rubbish and you would try and avoid heading the ball if you could - because it hurt a lot. (Some even suffered brain damage as a result of a career heading the ball).

Goals are ok the size that they are (IMO) but before we change we should first try and bring back the old balls, boots and fat goalies.

Jumpers for goalposts anyone?

But then footballs were mud-soddened canon balls not the light things that fly, bend and dip like today. Boots were heavy leather things that covered the whole ankle and were nearly into leather fetishist territory - not anything as technically advanced as preditors. Goalkeepers weren't the lithe athletes they are now - mainly they were just big and fat.

I know all this because I grew up in this age when you had to put up with all this rubbish and you would try and avoid heading the ball if you could - because it hurt a lot. (Some even suffered brain damage as a result of a career heading the ball).

Goals are ok the size that they are (IMO) but before we change we should first try and bring back the old balls, boots and fat goalies.

Jumpers for goalposts anyone?

and not forgetting drop back goalies, or whoever is nearest makes the save !...mmmmmmmmmm now theres a thought, no keepers

A friend of mine is convinced that players should be pleased when they hit the woodwork in football or rugby as it's a smaller target than the goal.

If you aim for the post or bar then fair enough, but surely if youve aimed for the goal and hit the post youve missed your target... nothing to be proud of

Archived