IGNORED

The Fratton Park Eight V The Ashton Gate Eight

havanatopia

Does today's regurgitated news of imminent closure of Portsmouth Football Club have many similarities with our own financial meltdown of 30 years ago?

The most obvious coincidence, of course, is the 8 players contracted who could, like our City heroes, save their club.

How have times changed from then to now?

Can The mega rich players of today stomach the thought of tearing up their contracts and emulating what far less wealthy players did for Bristol City?

The signs, so far, do not look promising.

Players likr kanu and kitson could easily find another club.

It makes me sick to the stomach thinking about how much money players are on and the fact some players would rather see a club close down instead of cutting thier wages.

Granted its not thier faults but the fact they could stop the rott and probably make a bigger name for themselves by doing the deed then they have on the pitch is there for all to see.

All hail the ashton gate 8.

Edited by Sidebet

I don't know if the eight Pompey players tearing up their contracts will be enough to keep Portsmouth in business as I haven't really followed the situation in great detail. However, if the opportunity is there for them to become heroes at the expense of personal gain it will be fascinating to see what option they choose.

Will they conform to the stereotype of modern footballers being greedy b*stards?

Edited by Ted Sheed

If the players don't leave or take cuts then they shouldn't be allowed another club.

I would personally boo any of them who don't take cuts and move to another club due to Pompeys collapse.

Sickening.

What exactly have the players done wrong? They signed contracts for money, the clubs should never have offered it, not putting in any relegation clauses is asking for trouble.

Ben Haim and Kitson have both said to SSN that the club are slating them to the press but not actually talking to the players about any compromise.

Ben Haim did say since the first administration he's already written of £2.5m!!! Sometimes clubs just take the piss, the way the club have acted since the first administration, with the signings of Lawrence and Kitson on silly money, it doesn't surprise me that the are trying to publically pressure players to write off more money, like Rangers think they should be wound up if cant pay their debts.

What exactly have the players done wrong? They signed contracts for money, the clubs should never have offered it, not putting in any relegation clauses is asking for trouble.

Ben Haim and Kitson have both said to SSN that the club are slating them to the press but not actually talking to the players about any compromise.

Ben Haim did say since the first administration he's already written of £2.5m!!! Sometimes clubs just take the piss, the way the club have acted since the first administration, with the signings of Lawrence and Kitson on silly money, it doesn't surprise me that the are trying to publically pressure players to write off more money, like Rangers think they should be wound up if cant pay their debts.

By taking massive fee's when they know the club is in problems and families are being ruined because of it.

Small business's are shutting down and people are going out of work.

Do the already millionaires care? No they keep taking more money and don't care about the consequences.

portsmouth are using the players as a scapegoat at the moment, telling the paper Ben haim 36k a week is killing the club is a breach of contract as it is and they are opening up themselfs to all sorts of legal trouble,

The sad thing is the fans, also you can't compare the two situation we actually had players that loved our club these are just more pampered millionaires football produce now a days

Actually agree with you here (for once) I blame the club, the administrators and to some degree the fans who should have been more vocal the second time around about the wages being paid to players and was it sustainable.

I don't know if the eight Pompey players tearing up their contracts will be enough to keep Portsmouth in business as I haven't really followed the situation in great detail. However, if the opportunity is there for them to become heroes at the expense of personal gain it will be fascinating to see what option they choose.

Will they conform to the stereotype of modern footballers being greedy b*stards?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

By taking massive fee's when they know the club is in problems and families are being ruined because of it.

Small business's are shutting down and people are going out of work.

Do the already millionaires care? No they keep taking more money and don't care about the consequences.

But isnt it the responsiblity of the club, not too offer packages they can't afford to actually pay? Regardless of how much some of them earn or have earned.

picture Ben Haim....he's effectively been told....come here instead of somewhere else and we'll give you 40k per week for 4 years, instead of another clubs £30k, if they then look up and say two years later.....actually we can't afford to pay you everything, can you help save the club and write off £2m we owe, but then we will be fine.....you'd say.....ok fair enough, not happy but fair enough saves the club and we can rebuild, if another year later the same thing happens again and the club start publically hammering you as killing the club, wouldnt you get you back up and say....actually no your taking the piss now,

I would be livid.

But isnt it the responsiblity of the club, not too offer packages they can't afford to actually pay? Regardless of how much some of them earn or have earned.

picture Ben Haim....he's effectively been told....come here instead of somewhere else and we'll give you 40k per week for 4 years, instead of another clubs £30k, if they then look up and say two years later.....actually we can't afford to pay you everything, can you help save the club and write off £2m we owe, but then we will be fine.....you'd say.....ok fair enough, not happy but fair enough saves the club and we can rebuild, if another year later the same thing happens again and the club start publically hammering you as killing the club, wouldnt you get you back up and say....actually no your taking the piss now,

I would be livid.

I would be livid.

I'd be like well OK, I was lucky to be earning more than many people get a year every week.

I understand the club is in problems and if I don''t take a cut I'd get nothing at all. Also many business's are being closed down as we can't pay them, so my wage can go towards that instead.

I would just be happy that i was overpaid for the 2 years before.

Its not like a normal job is it. Other people are affected.

Edited by Tins

EBM might be able to anwser this out of the 8 pro's they have left how many were signed after they came out of administration last time, I have a feeling it was all 8

I'm fairly sure that Kanu and Ben Haim were there for the first one, all the rest have joined since and should have known what they were walking into.

portsmouth are using the players as a scapegoat at the moment, telling the paper Ben haim 36k a week is killing the club is a breach of contract as it is and they are opening up themselfs to all sorts of legal trouble,

The sad thing is the fans, also you can't compare the two situation we actually had players that loved our club these are just more pampered millionaires football produce now a days

Thats the way I see it too.

I'd be like well OK, I was lucky to be earning more than many people get a year every week.

I understand the club is in problems and if I don''t take a cut I'd get nothing at all. Also many business's are being closed down as we can't pay them, so my wage can go towards that instead.

This whole club could close and you'll get nothing at all though.....is that really the case?

The club have buyers lined up and ready to go, but doesn't don't want to deal with the past debts, ironically one person involved trying to buy the club is the man who put Pompey into first place a few seasons ago?

Sorry, but I've got little sympathy

Edited by Phil78

I'm fairly sure that Kanu and Ben Haim were there for the first one, all the rest have joined since and should have known what they were walking into.

Kanu for sure. Ben Haim joined in August 2009 and they went into Admin early in 2010... that was the pen-ultimate time. These are the two highest paid players, the latter by some margin..36k a week with Kanu on 10k a week. The rest are on similar or less than Kanu.

Little bit more background...

Kitson and Lawrence arrived in the summer of 2010 with a certain Marc Wilson going the other way.. to Stoke. Norris arrived in June 2011 on a free from Ipswich, Pearce, Varney, Henderson and Halford followed soon after. Henderson of course has gone to West Ham. Huselklepp came in August 2011 and, astonishingly, a fee of £1.5 million was 'paid' to Bari.. debuting against us in a 0-0 niller. Although he did subsequently agree to a loan move to Brum until the end of last season.

All in all a right mess.

Edited by havanatopia

The players aren't to blame as others have stated they have been offered contracts and those should be honored look at rangers, they had to form a newco and the players and staff who refused to tupe across are free agents, the same will happen at portsmouth, accept the bottom of our structure isn't sfl3 its way down about 12 tiers which where they should of been sent after the the second admin hit

I feel sorry for the fans but the way that club has been run in recent years is absolutely shocking. If it were a proper business and not a football club (spot the irony) then it'd have been wound down months and perhaps even years ago. Of course I sympathise and I'd hate it it if were us (again) but considering their repeated policy of handing out big contracts and generally taking the Michael it is my view they should have gone already.

It would be a lovely gesture if some of the bigger earners walked away, but to label them a disgrace for not doing so is incredibly harsh, it is the club's fault for continually handing out high value contracts.

We were incredibly lucky when it was us. It was an exceptionally selfless gesture from a exceptional group of people and it is not fair to use that as the yardstick by which to measure others against.

What happens then, does another club come up from League Two (like what happened in Scotland) ie Cheltenham?

Or do they play with 23 teams and one less team goes down next season?

Someone has to come up otherwise it makes a right mess of the fixtures... equally from conference into football league I would suggest.

What happens then, does another club come up from League Two (like what happened in Scotland) ie Cheltenham?

Or do they play with 23 teams and one less team goes down next season?

I'm not sure, I doubt another club will come up as the fixtures hae been produced and we are well into pre-season, Scotland knew what was coming we didn't see it with pompy as the administrater had announce that it was sold only for the FL to punish them again,

Somthing is not right down there

Don't forget this kind of thing happened again quite recently at Plymouth Argyle. Everybody took a loss to keep the club afloat and though brought to a lowly state of affairs just like City all those years ago, they're still in there playing league football next season. With goodwill and co-operation clubs can keep going. Maybe the likes of Rangers & Portsmouth think they're above that sort of thing!