IGNORED

Driving To Scotland. How Mental Is It?

Kid in the Riot

Thinking of driving up to Perth on Saturday for the game. Leave Bristol about 4am then back on the Sunday. Got a pretty quick diesel motor.

Goes without saying will be out on the smash Sat night. Is this doable or a ####ing stupid idea?

I,m doing it and planning a canoeing trip on the Tuesday before the game Wednesday. From Bristol to Edinburgh, only 5 and a bit hours.(i,m from Melton Mowbray so an hour closer.

Ten pints of 5% cider/beer is 28 units. The driving limit for an average bloke is somewhere between 4 and 5 units - less than two pints at that strength. The average bloke clears a unit an hour from an hour after you've started drinking. Eating/sleeping/red bull, none of it affects how quickly the alcohol gets out of your bloodstream. If you go out on the smash on a Saturday you won't be under the limit until at least late Sunday evening.

I drove Bristol - Glasgow and back about two weeks ago, it's a lovely drive once you are north of Lancaster but hell no would I consider driving back after any sort of session. I didn't even drive back after working for most of the day, kicked back and rested before driving back in morning. The M6 requires the upmost concentration between Preston and Brum at even off peak hours

Wow, the way the replies have been on here is like he is asking if he should drive immediately after having 12 pints and just exiting a night club.

It depends on how much you drink, and what time you plan to leave on the Sunday.

He said he's goIng out on the smash on the Saturday night. It ain't rocket science.

Well. I. Never. OTIB a caring community afterall!

Nibor your prediction of 10 gliders is probably accurate however a few would be prior to 3pm and most drinking would be done early evening. Given the early start i'd expect to hit the hay before midnight and leave approx midday Sunday. We have two drivers.

It sounds like a war of attrition, but this is Bristol City so it's nearly always worth it!

depends how late you leave it on Sunday before driving back. leave at 2pm after some grub and should be fine.

It takes 2 hours for a pint of normal strength lager (4%) to leave your system and more like 2.5 hours for anything 5%ish. So if you have ten pints you'll be roughly ok to drive back 19 hours after you finish drinking.

Well. I. Never. OTIB a caring community afterall!

Nibor your prediction of 10 gliders is probably accurate however a few would be prior to 3pm and most drinking would be done early evening. Given the early start i'd expect to hit the hay before midnight and leave approx midday Sunday. We have two drivers.

It sounds like a war of attrition, but this is Bristol City so it's nearly always worth it!

You'll almost certainly be over the limit at midday, and bear in mind that if you're drinking say, 6% cider, that's 10 extra units and 10 more hours.

It takes 2 hours for a pint of normal strength lager (4%) to leave your system and more like 2.5 hours for anything 5%ish. So if you have ten pints you'll be roughly ok to drive back 19 hours after you finish drinking.

Not quite. A pint of 4% has 2.2 units in, and the alcohol doesn't start to leave your system for about an hour after you start.

These figures are on average and the only thing that affects how close to average you are is the amount of an enzyme in your liver. You can't train yourself to be better at breaking down alcohol, just more familiar with the effects. You can't find out how far off the average you are.

Also, surprisingly little on the bar is 4% these days.

Basically, don't try and do these calculations, especially when pissed. Just plan more time to recover.

Archived