IGNORED

Sporting Put-Downs

Southport Red

Not exactly a 'put down', but in the last Ashes Mitchell Johnson was heard on the stump mic saying to Jimmy Anderson 'Why you chirping now mate? Not getting any wickets?'. Next ball Jimmy runs in and clean bowls Ryan Harris, not really any better way to shut someone up.

love it

Actions speak louder than words. Notably Pieterson's "gesture" afterward

Merv Hughes was probably the most enthusiastic cricket sledger and one day targeted Graeme Hick for his venom, viewing him as weak at the mental side of the game. ....."Mate," he would say, "if you just turn the bat over, you'll find the instructions on the other side." Or: "Does your husband play cricket as well?

Best one of Mervs was when he said "You've got some sh*t on the end of the bat, thats why you keep swinging and missing"

Batsman looked at the bottom of his bat

"Wrong end mate"

Love that one

• Admin

Not exactly a 'put down', but in the last Ashes Mitchell Johnson was heard on the stump mic saying to Jimmy Anderson 'Why you chirping now mate? Not getting any wickets?'. Next ball Jimmy runs in and clean bowls Ryan Harris, not really any better way to shut someone up.

Along the same lines back in 1994, when facing South Africa's Fanie de Villiers, Devon Malcolm was struck on the head by a bouncer much to the amusement of the slip cordon. Malcolm turned to them and announced "you guys are history" before putting in the best figures of an English fast bowler in the 20th century by getting 9-57 :)

Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne:As Cullinan was on

his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had Been waiting 2 years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.

Slightly off topic but as someone has already mentioned a Churchill quote I thought I would share my favourite.

Lady Nancy Astor "Sir if you were my husband, I would give you poison."

Churchill "If I were your husband I would take it"

No idea if true, but there was a story going about regarding Norman Whiteside, Niall Quinn and a couple of Sunderland youth players having a drink. Neither of the lads knew who Whiteside was, and one asked him if he ever played. Whiteside replied he had, and the lad followed up with "were you any good?". Whiteside noted "well you know Pele, Brazilian player, 2nd youngest player in the world cup finals". Lad went "yes, obviously", Whiteside followed up with "well, I'm the youngest".

Played in vase game at 34 and our manager was a ex forest player..he managed to get the great Brian Clough to give us a pep at HT in the game against Burton...

I stupidly criticised the manager at HT cus we were 2 nil down and only playing 1 up front...

The great man rounded on me and said "and what position do you play"?...

"centre half"... "well you cant be much ****ing good cus youve still got your own teeth...!"

The other one I always find amusing....

"If i have a disagreement with a player, we sit down and talk about it for half an hour and then agree I was right "

Alan Mullally was walking out to bat for England in Australia during an Ashes Test when an Aussie fan shouted out:

"Hey Alan, I've been looking at your last few scores, what are you trying to build, an Audi logo or the Olympics logo?"

Classic!

And Trescothick batting against Stuart Magill of Australia. Magaill (Warne's replacement when Shane was out injured) said to Tresco, "is that lead in your boots or are you just pleased to see me?" quick as a flash Tresco came back with "Stu, you aint fit to lace Warney's drinks!"

Classic stuff!

Archived