IGNORED

Are We In A Better Or Worse Position Than This Time Last Year?

Robin101

Its not quite that simple.

We are in a better position now simply because the squad size has been reduced and McInnes has some funds in terms of a war chest and wages. McInnes only just kept City up and we'll never know whether Millen would have done the same and to simply compare managers as the reason we are in a better position now is a one-eyed view.

Millen took charge two games into a season where we had a decent amount of investment in players that he would have had a hand in bringing in and a squad that he would know the strengths and weeknesses of in a league he was familier with. His mission? - To challenge for a play off spot or at least a top 10 finish and to build a squad to challenge in the following season. Lets be honest, he failed and put us in strong contention to get relegated.

McIness took charge of a club cut a-drift at the bottom of the table without a home win all season. Little knowledge of the squad he inherited and a league he had been away from for a good few years. He had to manage the Maynard situation and eventually lost his top scorer. His mission? - To keep us up. He succeded.

Having done that he now is in (almost) the same position Millen was (ie knows his players and has some recent experience of this league) but admittedly due to the losses incurred by other managers this seasons expectations and budgets are that bit lower. For me the hope is to keep us away from the dogfight at the bottom, look to build for the following season and get us playing atractive football. The jury is obviously out for the time being, but i feel more confident that he can achieve these goals than i did about Millens and more importantly it seems the players do aswel.

You maybe a stubborn old sod Robbered but you are loyal to those you like, i'll give you that. Please give Del and his staff the chance to impress you instead of looking for every oppurtunity to criticise

The club as a whole is in a much better state. The Management is far superior IMO (I base this opinion on a few things: The fact that we stayed up, the comments about him from players/ex players and the fact that Millen still doesn't have a management job). He has also begun to bring in his own staff and restructure elements of the club, all of which look positive.

On the playing side if things I'm not too worried, I think Morris will surprise a few of you and Cunningham looks a good bit of business. Was also pleased to see Pearson re-sign. We do need 2 or 3 more but I've got the belief that McInnes will do what's best for the club. He can't do it all overnight.

Convinced we will be okay next season, we may not set the world alight but for a club like us, I'll be quite content if we are anywhere in the middle third.

Can't believe how much people are panicking over a couple of players. Glad the club aren't.

Better.

The infrastructure seems much better, and the management team clearly is.

In terms of getting players in, I think we're suffering from the hangover of mistakes made by previous regimes. Quite rightly, the belt is being tightened and with FFP coming into play, we're not the only one's in that boat.

My worry over the past couple of years is just how few of our players are ever coveted by other teams in the division. That definitely hamstrings us in terms of the transfer market.

But, I think with a good pre-season behind them, especially not one stuck in the West Country, and we'll be seen OK.

That said, I'd feel more comfortable with a couple more in but still think that'll happen.

For Better or Worse.

I think overall we are worse off.

Let me explain

1.) McInnes, is still an unknown quantity. Initial success and then a worse run than Millen got binned for, followed by a late surge of good results despite playing not very well in the main. Does not give us a clue as to how it will go. On the pitch there is some tactically baffling stuff including subs and formations and it remains to be seen if, he can convert potential into actuality.

2.)The reshuffling behind the scenes, could be good, but at this stage we just dont know, it's too early to comment. That it has been done, does not equate to immediate positivity because there are no results

3.) The playing squad is worse off. Thus far in the pre season, Mcinnes has set about only doing like for like signings replacing those who have left previously Morris for CIsse, Cunningham for McAllister and then resigning Pearson and Carey amongst others. There hasnt been any real improvements per se, because we have yet to see the new signings play. They could be better, they could be worse. However there are several long standing issues that have yet to be addressed and the core of the team is the same that would have potentially seen us relegated without other teams messing up and Amougou coming in on load

4.) Transfer policy is still to whack, this is clear by the confusion over signings and the players that we do sign permanently being capable or worse rather than adding to the team. Pearson and Foster are gubbins, cant comment on the newbies yet. Loan signings last year were mixed. Amougou was great but Davies, McManus, Ephraim and Keinan were awful and near enough a complete waste

5.) Lowered expectations, I've not seen the 'brass' come out and say that we are aiming high this season, if they have, I've missed it, however, it's clear that we are aiming much much lower this time around and that surely has to be a bad thing. Im not suggesting we say Champions, but something along the lines of we will do our best to finish the best we can would be better than zip all.

With so much still up in the air and the season creeping ever closer, plus irregularities such as starting friendlies late compared to others(fitness has been an issue for a number of seasons and given the amount of injuries last time around, still an issue) then I cant see how it is better. We have a smaller squad, with potentially 2 better new players (Im not holding out for Morris to do the business) and nothing else. The longstanding squad issues really have yet to be addressed and tactically we got horribly found out last year. Going forward with a lesser squad and with so many unknowns means that it cannot be anything other than worse off.

Of course it could all come good, however this is City, how often does that actually happen?

We could have signed a world class player in every position and you'd still be complaining.

The loan signings were based on who was available. Ephraim had a hand in the second goal against Coventry, which was a massive turning point. Wood took the penalty that beat Forest. Amougou was a rock. Take Pearson's goals out and calculate our points tally. McManus was far from awful.

Davis was injured, and Keinan was cover. Not all that awful, in my opinion.

I know, why don't we compare where we are at the same point this season, to where we were last season at the point Millen went. can't remember how many games that was?

That may give us half an idea as to whether or not we are any better off!!

Aw yes, the same Peterborough who battered us home and away last season.

Unless I'm mistaken both these teams COMFORTABLY finished above us.

You are. Posh finished 1 point ahead of us last year. Millwall did finish 8 points clear of us (and we beat them twice) but I reckon we will finish above both next season.

Better or worse..... Neither really.

Club as a whole - BETTER, state than 12 months ago , lower wage, new board are mostly settled however another change would been nice to avoid.

Team - worse, we've lost a established goal scorer, ok we have a smaller squad but right now their is a distinct lack of numbers when you take Youth players out of equation

Manager - about the same, still relatively unknown manager who has done the same as Millen in keeping club up after taking over mid-season, people declare he did a wonderful job but had 34games to do and made a bit of a meal of it in all honesty, we were out the relegation zone in november but slipped back into it, once Derek had made some signings, lack of quality incoming is a serious concern at the moment and must be addressed.

Overall, feelings about the same as last season, nothing more nothing less, will likely flirt with relegation zone again over the course of the season, who knows if we will sink or swim.

Better I think. DM had put a better attitude in to the club, last 8 games we were unbeaten last season. Every player worked hard and we played like a good team. Taylor? Who knows, he can have a good season. Maybe Wolly can sucsess. Defence was strong at the end of the season and this season we have Cunningham and hpefully another defender coming in. Cisse is gone and thats no good Imo. Morris could be the answer in midfield, I have never seen him play but DM has. Stead, Pitman if they get the right passes from the mf they will score. Pearson good player will probablyhit the net more than last season.. Elliot not a big fan but hope he can cme back and be a strong player. Skuse, Kilkenny good players, we will see if Kilkenny will be in the starting 11. Albert and Bolasi we know what they can make. Gerken good keeper. Its only speculations but I think we atlest be in midtable. Think Bristol City are equal with most of the teams in this leauge. Think DM and his staf has a structure in their mind and therefore Im optimistic for this season. Hope my vibes are right. Time will tell.

For Better or Worse.

I think overall we are worse off.

Let me explain

1.) McInnes, is still an unknown quantity. Initial success and then a worse run than Millen got binned for, followed by a late surge of good results despite playing not very well in the main. Does not give us a clue as to how it will go. On the pitch there is some tactically baffling stuff including subs and formations and it remains to be seen if, he can convert potential into actuality.

2.)The reshuffling behind the scenes, could be good, but at this stage we just dont know, it's too early to comment. That it has been done, does not equate to immediate positivity because there are no results

3.) The playing squad is worse off. Thus far in the pre season, Mcinnes has set about only doing like for like signings replacing those who have left previously Morris for CIsse, Cunningham for McAllister and then resigning Pearson and Carey amongst others. There hasnt been any real improvements per se, because we have yet to see the new signings play. They could be better, they could be worse. However there are several long standing issues that have yet to be addressed and the core of the team is the same that would have potentially seen us relegated without other teams messing up and Amougou coming in on load

4.) Transfer policy is still to whack, this is clear by the confusion over signings and the players that we do sign permanently being capable or worse rather than adding to the team. Pearson and Foster are gubbins, cant comment on the newbies yet. Loan signings last year were mixed. Amougou was great but Davies, McManus, Ephraim and Keinan were awful and near enough a complete waste

5.) Lowered expectations, I've not seen the 'brass' come out and say that we are aiming high this season, if they have, I've missed it, however, it's clear that we are aiming much much lower this time around and that surely has to be a bad thing. Im not suggesting we say Champions, but something along the lines of we will do our best to finish the best we can would be better than zip all.

With so much still up in the air and the season creeping ever closer, plus irregularities such as starting friendlies late compared to others(fitness has been an issue for a number of seasons and given the amount of injuries last time around, still an issue) then I cant see how it is better. We have a smaller squad, with potentially 2 better new players (Im not holding out for Morris to do the business) and nothing else. The longstanding squad issues really have yet to be addressed and tactically we got horribly found out last year. Going forward with a lesser squad and with so many unknowns means that it cannot be anything other than worse off.

Of course it could all come good, however this is City, how often does that actually happen?

The points I have highlighted really do overshadow the rest of your post where you make some reasonable points. To suggest we didn't play well at the end of the season is quite clearly wrong, I was at all eight games of our unbeaten run at the end of the season and the only poor performance from City came in the Derby game at home.

To label Pearson 'gubbins' is arguably the most ridiculous thing I've read on here this summer, and that really is an impressive award to win! He was a consistent performer for us last year and was an extremely astute signing from McInnes in my opinion. I know I was far from alone in being happy to see him sign on this summer. Foster doesn't look a great player by any means, but I would suggest that it is too early to write him off.

McManus, once match fit, looked a good player for us and at the time it seemed a real shame that Boro had to recall him when they did. Luckily we managed to get Amougou and he was excellent, but McManus put in a couple of very decent performances for us so for you to label him 'awful' is once again mistaken. Ephraim did a decent job for us in a couple of games before falling out the side, again not exactly 'awful'. Davis as we all knew at the time was a gamble and due to injuries it didn't really work out, but I hardly think it deserves any real criticism. Keinan was quite clearly signed as protection and luckily Fontaine, Carey and Amougou stayed fit and he wasn't needed. It would have been foolish to enter such a crucial period of the season with games coming thick and fast with only three centre halves, so the need for Keinan to come in on a short term loan as back up on deadline day was quite evident.

The points I have highlighted really do overshadow the rest of your post where you make some reasonable points. To suggest we didn't play well at the end of the season is quite clearly wrong, I was at all eight games of our unbeaten run at the end of the season and the only poor performance from City came in the Derby game at home.

To label Pearson 'gubbins' is arguably the most ridiculous thing I've read on here this summer, and that really is an impressive award to win! He was a consistent performer for us last year and was an extremely astute signing from McInnes in my opinion. I know I was far from alone in being happy to see him sign on this summer. Foster doesn't look a great player by any means, but I would suggest that it is too early to write him off.

McManus, once match fit, looked a good player for us and at the time it seemed a real shame that Boro had to recall him when they did. Luckily we managed to get Amougou and he was excellent, but McManus put in a couple of very decent performances for us so for you to label him 'awful' is once again mistaken. Ephraim did a decent job for us in a couple of games before falling out the side, again not exactly 'awful'. Davis as we all knew at the time was a gamble and due to injuries it didn't really work out, but I hardly think it deserves any real criticism. Keinan was quite clearly signed as protection and luckily Fontaine, Carey and Amougou stayed fit and he wasn't needed. It would have been foolish to enter such a crucial period of the season with games coming thick and fast with only three centre halves, so the need for Keinan to come in on a short term loan as back up on deadline day was quite evident.

You forget, some people post negative things without actually attending games

After about 2 weeks in the job Del spent a weekend back in Scotland. A close friend asked him what the squad was like in Bristol and he replied 'Pish'. He clearly didn't know quite how bad things were and did a fantastic job to keep us up. This year it will be his team and he will be able to play his way. Are we in a better position......................................too right ! He will do us proud.

After about 2 weeks in the job Del spent a weekend back in Scotland. A close friend asked him what the squad was like in Bristol and he replied 'Pish'. He clearly didn't know quite how bad things were and did a fantastic job to keep us up. This year it will be his team and he will be able to play his way. Are we in a better position......................................too right ! He will do us proud.

We beat Barnsley (a), made a draw against WH (a) and beat Burnley (h).

Must have been on the pish.

We might well have gone down under Millen just as we almost went down under McInnes. Point being we'll never know.

I hope McInnes does turn out to the best thing since sliced bread and we saw some signs towards the end of last season that he just might have what it takes. As I said before - this coming season is the true test. No excuses now.

No Robbored........ we do know that McInnes kept us up........ Millien, well that is the only speculation and not one we have to worry about regarding last season?

No Robbored........ we do know that McInnes kept us up........ Millien, well that is the only speculation and not one we have to worry about regarding last season?

Millen kept us in this division twice before, no reason why he wouldn't have been able to do it again.

However no one can prove it either way

Millen kept us in this division twice before, no reason why he wouldn't have been able to do it again.

However no one can prove it either way

Agreed.......... but mine was regarding Derk, a fact, and the point about Keith..... means nothing because it's all in the past....... unless we invent a time machine....... and I've seen 'back to the future'..... it was not pretty :)

Worse position

A keeper down

A relatively untried left back... Could be brilliant, could be poor time will tell.

Missing, possibly our best player from Last Year

Missing a top goal scorer... Yes this could be debatable :)

Gained a 33 year old midfielder

Gained a young left back.

Re-signed Pearson

Got rid of a whole host of deadwood

at this exact point in time, far worse of team wise, far better off wages wide.

I will revisit in a 2 or 3 weeks time, to see who we have signed, by which time, we may have a far better team..... I hope

Worse position

A keeper down

A relatively untried left back... Could be brilliant, could be poor time will tell.

Missing, possibly our best player from Last Year

Missing a top goal scorer... Yes this could be debatable :)

Gained a 33 year old midfielder

Gained a young left back.

Re-signed Pearson

Got rid of a whole host of deadwood

at this exact point in time, far worse of team wise, far better off wages wide.

I will revisit in a 2 or 3 weeks time, to see who we have signed, by which time, we may have a far better team..... I hope

keeper down - definitely a positive move, saving us a fortune and he will be replaced. Gerken came in and showed him up.

Young untried left back - Cannot be any worse than McGivern, no matter how bad he is.

Missing out best player - very debatable, I am assuming you mean Cisse? I'm a big Cisse fan but he was another big earner who although does a decent job, never set the world alight.

Missing our top scorer - well yes, he did go missing a lot.

Not even concerned. Morris will do the business, Marv is back - good squad player, Cunningham is a big improvement on McGivern. All my humble opinion of course!!.

keeper down - definitely a positive move, saving us a fortune and he will be replaced. Gerken came in and showed him up.

Young untried left back - Cannot be any worse than McGivern, no matter how bad he is.

Missing out best player - very debatable, I am assuming you mean Cisse? I'm a big Cisse fan but he was another big earner who although does a decent job, never set the world alight.

Missing our top scorer - well yes, he did go missing a lot.

Not even concerned. Morris will do the business, Marv is back - good squad player, Cunningham is a big improvement on McGivern. All my humble opinion of course!!.

I was talking about McAllister, but you are right about the left back :)

Definitely better off financially.

if we have a injury crisis, mmm well i won't be holding my breath! If our current squad, not one in one or two weeks time, but now, is what we go with, I think we are in trouble.

You are. Posh finished 1 point ahead of us last year. Millwall did finish 8 points clear of us (and we beat them twice) but I reckon we will finish above both next season.

I'm not so sure on Millwall but don't forget Barnsley's utter collapse post-Christmas. I think they've got more to fear than anyone for the coming season...

I am more confident for the coming season.

I just feel we have a far better Manager. Still hopeful we get a few more players in which I think we will.

On the downside I think the new stadium is not going to happen which is a massive set back for us and will have long term consequences for the club, some of which are unknown at the momment.

Archived