IGNORED

Are We In A Better Or Worse Position Than This Time Last Year?

Robin101

Not having a moan, just interested to see what you think!

On paper, we've replaced Maynard with no one.

McAllister --> Cunningham

Cisse --> Morris

James --> Heaton (??)

Foster has also come in. And a whole host of players have departed.

In terms of feeling, everyone (well, nearly) seems to be more confident of at least a mid-table finish. I guess this is because Millen has been replaced by McInnes. (Personally, I think McInnes will have to work wonders.).

I'd actually say that with 3 weeks to go we're looking worse. But I'm quietly confident that a couple of shrewd loan signings could swing it the other way. City to finish 20th as it stands! (sorry!)

Cisse --> Morris

James --> Heaton (??)

In terms of feeling, everyone (well, nearly) seems to be more confident of at least a mid-table finish. I guess this is because Millen has been replaced by McInnes. (Personally, I think McInnes will have to work wonders.).

I'd actually say that with 3 weeks to go we're looking worse. But I'm quietly confident that a couple of shrewd loan signings could swing it the other way. City to finish 20th as it stands! (sorry!)

I think we're in a better position, as we have a much better manager than this time last year. I still think as it stands we will struggle as I don't see how we're going to score many goals and we still don't have a commanding centre back. A creative midfielder is essential too. I hope we can pull off some signings or I fear we'll be in for another tough season.

I still have confidence that the manager can steer us clear of trouble, but I don't see us finishing higher than mid-way down the bottom half with the current squad.

Good post.

Likely to bring some actual debate, which can only be good!

I think we're in a better position as a club - due to reduction in wage bill, more faith (personally) in management team, but I think there can be little argument that, while inflated, we had a stronger squad at this time last year.

Although its clearly nowhere near as fun as extravagant signings, I'm happy with the direction the club is going in through what we've done this summer. And considering we certainly will strengthen before the window closes, I'm far more comfortable with where we are right now.

Without doubt were in a better position. Much better manager who actually has a clue what he's doing, financially we are much better having got rid of high wage players and dead wood as well as bringing in a couple of good players most likely on lower wages. All that is needed is the quick striker and central defender and maybe an attacking midfielder to complete the squad. Then people will stop questioning the club and actually start supporting everything that's going on

Cisse --> Morris

James --> Heaton (??)

Are you suggesting McAllister is better than Cunningham? I've not seen Cunningham play personally, so would say the jury's out (although reports from Forest are encouraging).

To answer the question, I'd suggest that on a direct comparison we look much better than last season as a club.

• Better Manager
  • What looks on the face of it to be a far more focussed and professionalised youth set-up.
  • New coaching set-up.
  • Lower wage bill. Clarkson, JCR, Hunt, James, Maynard, Johnson, McAllister, Cisse all gone. Carey on reduced wages (I presume).

I'd even say that in a direct comparison with where we actually were last year (rather than thought we were at this time last year) we look slightly better as a playing squad

• Goal: James was a bigger name but he wasn't brilliant last season. We know Gerken can outperform him so we're not in a worse position.
  • Defence: We still have a huge need for a centre back. But we did at this time last season as well and didn't fix it until McManus / Amougou. Our full-backs may be better (although need to see Cunningham play). Last season we had Spence, McGivern, McAllister.
  • Midfielders: both Skuse and Elliott looked better in April / May last year than either had for a couple of years. If McInnes can get either player performing regularly at their best, this would cover the loss of Cisse. Morris, we'll see, but the more positive reports suggest an improvement on Lee Johnson.
  • Attack: Last year we had a grumpy striker who had an overinflated view of himself, failed to perform for the season and put the club in limbo. This season we have Brett Pitman.
  • Youth players. Edwards, Wilson, Nyatanga, Bolasie (even Albert and Taylor) are one year older and are improving more than deteriorating. Bryan, Amadi-Holloway and Reid may be knocking on the door.

Will we push for the play-offs? No chance. Are we in a better position than this time last season? Almost certainly.

McInnes is in a different class to Millen. Foster will prove to be a good signing as will Cunningham. Beaton will be a better keeper for us than James and Morris wants to be here as opposed to Cisse, who does not. In addition, we have Pearson who is also a very good footballer at this level. With a couple more signings before the season I believe we will be in a better position than under Millen. In Derek we trust.

2011: Manager- Keith Millen

2012: Manager - Derek McInnes

Are we in a better position? Yes.

Its not quite that simple.

We are in a better position now simply because the squad size has been reduced and McInnes has some funds in terms of a war chest and wages. McInnes only just kept City up and we'll never know whether Millen would have done the same and to simply compare managers as the reason we are in a better position now is a one-eyed view.

Are you suggesting McAllister is better than Cunningham? I've not seen Cunningham play personally, so would say the jury's out (although reports from Forest are encouraging).

To answer the question, I'd suggest that on a direct comparison we look much better than last season as a club.

• Better Manager
  • What looks on the face of it to be a far more focussed and professionalised youth set-up.
  • New coaching set-up.
  • Lower wage bill. Clarkson, JCR, Hunt, James, Maynard, Johnson, McAllister, Cisse all gone. Carey on reduced wages (I presume).

I'd even say that in a direct comparison with where we actually were last year (rather than thought we were at this time last year) we look slightly better as a playing squad

• Goal: James was a bigger name but he wasn't brilliant last season. We know Gerken can outperform him so we're not in a worse position.
  • Defence: We still have a huge need for a centre back. But we did at this time last season as well and didn't fix it until McManus / Amougou. Our full-backs may be better (although need to see Cunningham play). Last season we had Spence, McGivern, McAllister.
  • Midfielders: both Skuse and Elliott looked better in April / May last year than either had for a couple of years. If McInnes can get either player performing regularly at their best, this would cover the loss of Cisse. Morris, we'll see, but the more positive reports suggest an improvement on Lee Johnson.
  • Attack: Last year we had a grumpy striker who had an overinflated view of himself, failed to perform for the season and put the club in limbo. This season we have Brett Pitman.
  • Youth players. Edwards, Wilson, Nyatanga, Bolasie (even Albert and Taylor) are one year older and are improving more than deteriorating. Bryan, Amadi-Holloway and Reid may be knocking on the door.

Will we push for the play-offs? No chance. Are we in a better position than this time last season? Almost certainly.

I wrote a similar to post to this one yesterday, agree completely!

We have also added Pearson to the squad and I think he was a great addition, on we did not have this time last year.

My only concern is, and regrettably at that, we don't have anyone to replace Nicky Maynard, yet. We have exactly the same strike force as last season bar our best proven goalscorer in the last ten years. Whilst Woody only score a few for us, even with him missing, we have a strike force that has scored relatively few goals.

Apart from that, the team in a much better position than last season, onwards and upwards!

We are in a better position now simply because the squad size has been reduced and McInnes has some funds in terms of a war chest and wages. McInnes only just kept City up and we'll never know whether Millen would have done the same and to simply compare managers as the reason we are in a better position now is a one-eyed view.

Seriously?

McInnes is in a different class to Millen. In Derek we trust.

Is he? How do you know?

Was the football any better after Millen left? Did City zoom up the league after McInnes took over? Didn't City have a near disasterous run of poor results in the new year with McInnes seemingly having no idea how to change things?

I said it last season that McInnes's true test will come this coming season after he's had a pre-season and been able to firstly trim the squad and add his own players to it. He's also brought several of his own new backroom staff.

I hope we don't see one up front at home as we did last season. I also hope we see some decent football for the first time in about 5 season's.

Is he? How do you know?

Was the football any better after Millen left? Did City zoom up the league after McInnes took over? Didn't City have a near disasterous run of poor results in the new year with McInnes seemingly having no idea how to change things?

I said it last season that McInnes's true test will come this coming season after he's had a pre-season and been able to firstly trim the squad and add his own players to it. He's also brought several of his own new backroom staff.

I hope we don't see one up front at home as we did last season. I also hope we see some decent football for the first time in about 5 season's.

err yes. The football wasn't always great but McInnes got us out of the hole that your boyfriend left us in (6 points was it?). McInnes's average points haul over the whole season would have seen us comfortably mid table.

It's a pity as some of your recent posts have been reasonable, but not when it comes to Teflon eh?

I agree we will never know.

Putting it slightly differently, am I more confident of the club's chances at this point in time with Mcinnes in charge rather than Millen? Yes.

This time last year, would I have been more confident of our chances had MCinnes been in charge rather than Millen? Yes - mind you at the beginning of last season I would have probably been more confident with David Brent in charge!!!.

That's my feeling although I respect that others will have a different viewpoint than I.

I think we would have gone down if Millen had stayed in charge, Robbo. That would have been disastrous. McInnes still has to prove himself, but I think he will.

I agree we will never know.

Putting it slightly differently, am I more confident of the club's chances at this point in time with Mcinnes in charge rather than Millen? Yes.

This time last year, would I have been more confident of our chances had MCinnes been in charge rather than Millen? Yes - mind you at the beginning of last season I would have probably been more confident with David Brent in charge!!!.

That's my feeling although I respect that others will have a different viewpoint than I.

I didn't see that coming

I think we would have gone down if Millen had stayed in charge, Robbo. That would have been disastrous. McInnes still has to prove himself, but I think he will.

We might well have gone down under Millen just as we almost went down under McInnes. Point being we'll never know.

I hope McInnes does turn out to the best thing since sliced bread and we saw some signs towards the end of last season that he just might have what it takes. As I said before - this coming season is the true test. No excuses now.

I think we're in a better position for the simple reason there's four weeks to go and we know McInnes wants to get people in. Our team at the moment is, centre-back aside, neither better nor worse than the one which kept us up in the last four games but, if we play like we did at the very end of the season, we will stay up.

As it stands without new players I don't think we'll finish much higher than 18th-20th but I think we'll stay up. I also think we will ultimately get the midfielder, striker and defender we need to push us up a couple of places.

To be clear, I think it'll be slow progress and I don't hope for much beyond a season where we steer clear of relegation but I think we will do that.

So....the point of this....despite many fans moaning that we haven't made any significant transfers is that the majority think we are in a better position this year than last??? Am I missing something??

I think that we are in a far better position than this time last year - main reason too is that we have somebody who knows what he is doing.

As I said before - this coming season is the true test. No excuses now.

Slightly confused by this.

Surely inheriting somebody else's squad, six (?) points adrift at the bottom of the table half way through a season, is a much sterner test?

One which he passed.

And also, what are the excuses you allude to?

Rather than 'excuses' do you mean reasons why he justifiably struggled?

Archived