IGNORED

West Ham Striker Potentially Available For Loan

bexhill reds

Youreds- he was also pretty crap at one on ones and absolutely shit at penalties.

I don't think he was necessarily crap at headers, just frightened of them.

You're bang on there eastonboy, he went to pieces when he had time to think about scoring. He was much better at making his own goals.

People who are saying they'd have him back, surely cannot of been at Brighton away last season, the most disgraceful 'performance' i've ever seen and not worthy of representing this great club, good riddance.

I've no interest in judging any player in one game (or even one month of football). He made mistakes and he'd have work to do building bridges but, if he was willing to come back on loan (doubt he would be), keep his head down and work hard, I'd let bygones be bygones and I bet most of the other fans (including his most vociferous critics) would too.

Would never want him back, his lack of honesty cost this club millions!!

Don't want to go back over old ground but our club's failure to tie our best player to a long-term contract or press him sufficiently on his intentions cost the club millions. Maynard's position all along was that he didn't want to make a decision on the signing the contract. We knew that with 18 months left, we knew that with a year left and then we knew it again with seven months go when we decided to sell him. There was no lack of honesty over his intentions but rather a lack of commitment which (whilst perfectly legitimate to criticise) is a different thing.

But players have the right to do that and the mistake was the club waited to see what he'd decide to do rather than cashing in last summer. IT was a gamble that didn't pay off.

Don't want to go back over old ground but our club's failure to tie our best player to a long-term contract or press him sufficiently on his intentions cost the club millions. Maynard's position all along was that he didn't want to make a decision on the signing the contract. We knew that with 18 months left, we knew that with a year left and then we knew it again with seven months go when we decided to sell him. There was no lack of honesty over his intentions but rather a lack of commitment which (whilst perfectly legitimate to criticise) is a different thing.

But players have the right to do that and the mistake was the club waited to see what he'd decide to do rather than cashing in last summer. IT was a gamble that didn't pay off.

No lack of honesty, are you for real???

Even Lansdown said he strung us along.

No lack of honesty, are you for real???

Even Lansdown said he strung us along.

I suspect there was a lack of honesty over certain bits (why he ultimately quit and some of the details of the fans' reactions) but I don't actually believe that he was dishonest about his intentions (he never said he was going to stay) and I don't believe that's what cost us money. He strung us along, for sure, in so far as that he repeatedly refused to make a final decision on staying and tried to keep his options open as long as possible. But he had every right to do that under the transfer rules and ultimately it was the club who made the decision to hope (despite the seeming lack of any evidence) that he'd stay rather than to try to find a buyer last Summer.

I'm not saying Maynard comes out of the whole affair with a great deal of credit but I certainly think it's disingenuous for the club to blame him, rather than our failure to deal with the issue out of contract players firmly enough, for us failing to get the money we should've for him.

What utter crap, the club did try to cash in and he didn't want to go to Leiecester, because they weren't in the prem and nobody in the prem actually wanted him until he also turned Wigan down because they weren't designer enough for him and then ended up at West Ham who as we know ended up in the prem (only because Blackpool couldn't score in a brothel on the day).

and you know for sure the club never pressed him over his intentions, of course they did why wouldn't they?.

The clubs best player?, as we know he had one good season, the description should be the most valuable asset (and that's only because he is a striker).

I suspect there was a lack of honesty over certain bits (why he ultimately quit and some of the details of the fans' reactions) but I don't actually believe that he was dishonest about his intentions (he never said he was going to stay) and I don't believe that's what cost us money. He strung us along, for sure, in so far as that he repeatedly refused to make a final decision on staying and tried to keep his options open as long as possible. But he had every right to do that under the transfer rules and ultimately it was the club who made the decision to hope (despite the seeming lack of any evidence) that he'd stay rather than to try to find a buyer last Summer.

I'm not saying Maynard comes out of the whole affair with a great deal of credit but I certainly think it's disingenuous for the club to blame him, rather than our failure to deal with the issue out of contract players firmly enough, for us failing to get the money we should've for him.

I agree, it was for the so say bright sparks, in charge of city, to call his bluff, at at least 1 year out, to say, sign for us or we transfer list you.

As it is these hard nosed "business men" let it drag, and went on to say he wasn't available for transfer.

The only people at fault for not getting better money, or for Maynard not signing an extension, are those in charge. You call the players bluff, and leave it in their court with a limited time frame. They didn't, their mistake.

They have bristol city at heart, like us fans, the players will look after themselves, and rightly so.

So people can bitch and moan all they like about Maynard and rightly so, but I would be more worried about how the directors let it play out. Hopefully they have learnt a valuable lesson.

I agree, it was for the so say bright sparks, in charge of city, to call his bluff, at at least 1 year out, to say, sign for us or we transfer list you.

As it is these hard nosed "business men" let it drag, and went on to say he wasn't available for transfer.

The only people at fault for not getting better money, or for Maynard not signing an extension, are those in charge. You call the players bluff, and leave it in their court with a limited time frame. They didn't, their mistake.

They have bristol city at heart, like us fans, the players will look after themselves, and rightly so.

So people can bitch and moan all they like about Maynard and rightly so, but I would be more worried about how the directors let it play out. Hopefully they have learnt a valuable lesson.

Umm short memory and all that remember the Basso fiasco?.

Umm short memory and all that remember the Basso fiasco?.

Why is that?

Basso from everything I have heard, was lied to by gj. Now that may or may not be true, that info is obviously 2nd hand.

He chose to leave looking for prem football, and was basically dropped from the team, much like Orr was. From what I remember, from that point he said he was letting his contract run out.

Have I remembered incorrectly?

Why is that?

Basso from everything I have heard, was lied to by gj. Now that may or may not be true, that info is obviously 2nd hand.

He chose to leave looking for prem football, and was basically dropped from the team, much like Orr was. From what I remember, from that point he said he was letting his contract run out.

Have I remembered incorrectly?

Youv'e remembered correctly apart from the rumour bit, but the fiasco proves my point, look what happens when a club plays hardball, the power in modern day football is and will always be with the player, especially one prepared to sit out a contract and take the money on the less than sane whim that he was good enough to play in the prem.

Youv'e remembered correctly apart from the rumour bit, but the fiasco proves my point, look what happens when a club plays hardball, the power in modern day football is and will always be with the player, especially one prepared to sit out a contract and take the money on the less than sane whim that he was good enough to play in the prem.

That sums up my point though, they played hard ball, but far too late in the day. These things should be done before the last year of your contract.

I agree to some extent, the player has a bit more power, as they can choose to move or not, but it is also in their interests to some extent, as the club have to pay compensation to the player if they put them up for sale.

Likewise, if the club refuse to play the player, lots of clubs will not go near said player if they have not been playing for months. And there is nothing the player can do about it as long as they are getting paid. One thing is for sure, they won't be getting win draw and goal bonuses either.

Things can be forced if they need to go down that route. So it is not quite so clear cut as everything being in the players favour. They have to play it right, and directors have to be a little wet behind the ears to give complete control to the player.

Double post

What utter crap, the club did try to cash in and he didn't want to go to Leiecester, because they weren't in the prem and nobody in the prem actually wanted him until he also turned Wigan down because they weren't designer enough for him and then ended up at West Ham who as we know ended up in the prem (only because Blackpool couldn't score in a brothel on the day).

The club denied he was available for transfer. I know he didn't want to go to Leicester and I'm not suggesting that's what should have happened. But the club should have circulated his details, stated an acceptable price and made it clear that, if he wasn't going to sign, we were going to see what we could recoup on him.

and you know for sure the club never pressed him over his intentions, of course they did why wouldn't they?.

I know for sure they didn't press him enough to demand a signature or transfer list him 'cos last Summer he didn't sign the contract and wasn't transfer-listed. They left the ball in his court. Which is a reasonable enough gamble but the gamble didn't pay off, hence us losing the money.

The clubs best player?, as we know he had one good season, the description should be the most valuable asset (and that's only because he is a striker).

This time last season (which is when the decision should have been made) I think fans would have near-unanimously claimed he was our key player.

What happened with Basso had nothing to do with what happens when a club players hardball and everything to do with a club playing hardball in an inept fashion. With both Basso and Orr, it was correct to circulate their details and try to get offers but silly to exclude them from the team as some form of punishment. That's where the fiasco kicked in.

What happened with Basso had nothing to do with what happens when a club players hardball and everything to do with a club playing hardball in an inept fashion. With both Basso and Orr, it was correct to circulate their details and try to get offers but silly to exclude them from the team as some form of punishment. That's where the fiasco kicked in.

of course then all you get is sulky couldn't care less, I don't want to get injured i'm going to play in the prem type performances, I just love the way many BCFC fans are always quick to blame the club and believe all of ego busting crap from players like Saint Basso and Little Nicky, Bradley Orr at least he was a man about it, saw the light signed a new contract and eventually got the sort of move he desired.

I think you are being naive with all of the media hype surrounding Little Nicky pre-season I suspect that clubs knew he might be available at the right price and the fact that he was probably unsettled, trouble was nobody really wanted him and I suspect that his attitude and performances might have had something to do with that, a little like the reason clubs shied away from Saint Basso.

What I will say about the Maynard fiasco is it almost certainly did not help that our then deluded manager actually believed we were promotion candidates and that prospect might encourage Little Nicky to re-sign.

I don't like him but to say he's shite is ridiculous! One of the best goalscorers we've seen at Ashton Gate for God knows how long. He may have lost his form recently but we'd all kill for a player like an on form Nicky Maynard in our attack.

I don't like him but to say he's shite is ridiculous! One of the best goalscorers we've seen at Ashton Gate for God knows how long. He may have lost his form recently but we'd all kill for a player like an on form Nicky Maynard in our attack.

I agree with the highlighted sentence, the 2nd sentence, well he had 1 really good season and that inconsistency is probably the reason clubs didn't exactly fight over signing him.

of course then all you get is sulky couldn't care less, I don't want to get injured i'm going to play in the prem type performances, I just love the way many BCFC fans are always quick to blame the club and believe all of ego busting crap from players like Saint Basso and Little Nicky, Bradley Orr at least he was a man about it, saw the light signed a new contract and eventually got the sort of move he desired.

I think you are being naive with all of the media hype surrounding Little Nicky pre-season I suspect that clubs knew he might be available at the right price and the fact that he was probably unsettled, trouble was nobody really wanted him and I suspect that his attitude and performances might have had something to do with that, a little like the reason clubs shied away from Saint Basso.

What I will say about the Maynard fiasco is it almost certainly did not help that our then deluded manager actually believed we were promotion candidates and that prospect might encourage Little Nicky to re-sign.

It's not about believing Basso or Maynard. If you get to the point where one of your key players/most valuable assets is in the last year of their contract then it is the club's fault for not getting an extension or making a decision. That simple. Yes, maybe the players are egotists and want to further their own careers but it's not as if the Bosman ruling is some great mystery we don't understand. The club knew that, if we got to a year to go without Maynard having a new contract or being sold, we might lose him for nothing. That is the club's fault.

It's also not true to say that if you let a player play when you know their leaving at the end of the season you'll get sulking and rubbish performances. For one thing the player has a motivation to play well to attract the highest bidder. There's tonnes of examples (Sidwell at Reading and Flamini at Arsenal being two) of players who played out their skins despite deciding to leave at the end of their contracts.

I suspect why clubs didn't want Maynard last Summer is because he did have a price and it was unreasonably high. Certainly we know two clubs had concrete interest six months later so it wasn't teams shying away from signing him. We gambled with letting one of our better players get into the last year of his contract and lost. That's nobody but the club's fault.

It's not about believing Basso or Maynard. If you get to the point where one of your key players/most valuable assets is in the last year of their contract then it is the club's fault for not getting an extension or making a decision. That simple. Yes, maybe the players are egotists and want to further their own careers but it's not as if the Bosman ruling is some great mystery we don't understand. The club knew that, if we got to a year to go without Maynard having a new contract or being sold, we might lose him for nothing. That is the club's fault.

It's also not true to say that if you let a player play when you know their leaving at the end of the season you'll get sulking and rubbish performances. For one thing the player has a motivation to play well to attract the highest bidder. There's tonnes of examples (Sidwell at Reading and Flamini at Arsenal being two) of players who played out their skins despite deciding to leave at the end of their contracts.

I suspect why clubs didn't want Maynard last Summer is because he did have a price and it was unreasonably high. Certainly we know two clubs had concrete interest six months later so it wasn't teams shying away from signing him. We gambled with letting one of our better players get into the last year of his contract and lost. That's nobody but the club's fault.

i'm sorry we will have to agree to disagree on this one, between SL and Little Nicky, SL is more believable and more important to the club than an average championship striker and if SL says Little Nicky was disingenuous in his dealings with the club that is good enough for me.

As for your last paragraph 3 to 6mill to a lower prem team for a striker is not unreasonably high and as for the gamble going into his last year methinks you are conveniently forgetting that with 2 years left on his contract Little Nicky had a mysterious serious injury, fast forward 9 months he makes his comeback with nobody knowing how his long term fitness is going to pan out especially for a striker (the loss of a yard of pace is crucial) was that a good time to get a player to sign a long term highly paid contract?, my god we've been down that road before.

As i've said before the club is damned if they do and damned if they don't and many on OTIB are far too ready to believe the players and their twattering, the unsubstantiated rumours from tea ladies glass eye polisher, the plain made up or the Saint Basso told me so it must be true defence.

Anyway he's gone good riddance, I wish him no harm I hope he and his family and his Bristolian son have a good life.

Archived