IGNORED

Andy Carroll Transfer

screech

Just reading on the Beeb site about Liverpool striker Andy Carroll's supposedly attracting a West Ham bid of £15m. First of all I don't believe West Ham have anywhere near £10m to spend on one player let alone £15, and everybody knows at £15m Carroll is still about £5m overpriced. So, It got me thinking, we are usually dreadful in the transfer market, and always seem to get the worst value from most deals, so who would you class as City's most expensive striker flop?

Recent times I would go for David Clarkson, at £800k for a slow, crap striker it summed up just how bad Gary Johnson was at signing strikers.

A little further back and Steve Jones at £500k takes the title, a bigger tart you will not find.

Ray Atteveld, for £250k I think it was at the time.

Bad Injury, didn't figure, on big wages, Osman eventually paid a youth teamer to keep hacking him down, to provoke a reaction, so we could remove him from his contract.

He could have turned out to be decent! But we will never know

Hugh Mclmoyle, Rambo Johnson, Ian Baird, Bobby Gould, Liam Robinson, Tony Caldwell, David Seal and Scott Partridge off the top of my head.

Poor old Seal. Banging in for fun from 20-30 yards, at ludicrous angles, Then Jordan in his wisdom says.... Seal, you ain't scoring from 5 or 6 yards out, he gets dropped, and the season nose dives as none of his replacements can score! Kind of summed up Jordan's second spell in charge!

Who was that poor bar steward who came down from Rangers, played about 10 minutes, got seriously injured and we had to pay his wages for the entire season?!!

Velicka.

A legend in his village, apparently.

Stewart faiir enuf but thorpe? If u luk at his goal record I dnt think u can call him a 'flop'

Thorpe was a lot of money for his return to be fair. A pretty good striker, but people seem to remember him as some 20 league goal a season striker, I don't believe he once hit 20 league goals for us. For the outlay, i think we could have got better, especially considering the division we were in when he actually played.

Not a bad player, but massively overated, and a huge transfer fee for us at the time.

Who was that poor bar steward who came down from Rangers, played about 10 minutes, got seriously injured and we had to pay his wages for the entire season?!!

To be fair BCFC probably didn't pay his wages assuming the club had a suitable insurance policy. If it didnt then lesson learnt.

To be fair BCFC probably didn't pay his wages assuming the club had a suitable insurance policy. If it didnt then lesson learnt.

Well fingers crossed we had an insurance policy, because we were liable for his wages and medical care for the entirety of the loan!

Tony Thorpe and Marcus Stewart ...enough said

FFS! What is the matter with some people?

Tony Thorpe was a VERY intelligent footballer.

His signing was so understated such was the £1M media frenzy surrounding the signing of Akinbyi, but whereas Akinbyi frequently was caught offside and needed seemingly several chances before scoring, Thorpe was rarely caught offside and scored with fewer chances.

Even at the end of his career Stewart was still making intelligent runs, his problem was his team mates weren't as gifted as him.

Witness the season opener against Donny where Stewart and Bridges oozed class for 30 minutes with their interplay and sharpness but requiring quick passes and ball to feet was beyond the capabilities of the rest of their team mates.

But for that brief moment you could clearly see what might have been.

Enough said .

I can't agree with these two being flops.

I think you might be suffering with old timers disease mate. Mcilmoyle came to us as probably the most prolific striker in the lower leagues, I can remember thinking at last a striker worthy of replacing Big John Atyeo. in reality he came with an attitude problem, was lazy and never really tried to make it work here in short he didn't want to be with us in around a season and a half he scored just 4 goals in 20 games, I was glad to see the back of him.

Bobby Gould I agree could never be classed as a flop, 15 goals in 35 games prove that. My problem was he was hugely unpopular not only with the fans he was not over popular with the squad, he was arrogant and argumentative, I clearly remember Gerry Gow chinning Gould during a game, it was the best move of the game.

FFS! What is the matter with some people?

Tony Thorpe was a VERY intelligent footballer.

His signing was so understated such was the £1M media frenzy surrounding the signing of Akinbyi, but whereas Akinbyi frequently was caught offside and needed seemingly several chances before scoring, Thorpe was rarely caught offside and scored with fewer chances.

Even at the end of his career Stewart was still making intelligent runs, his problem was his team mates weren't as gifted as him.

Witness the season opener against Donny where Stewart and Bridges oozed class for 30 minutes with their interplay and sharpness but requiring quick passes and ball to feet was beyond the capabilities of the rest of their team mates.

But for that brief moment you could clearly see what might have been.

Enough said .

Have to agree with Angels.

If thorpe was such a good player why would he never head the ball - frightended of damaging a few brain cells I suspect. Couldn't score penalties and the number of times I saw him fail to beat the goalie one on one in fronte of the Atyeo was enormous.

Granted Stewart against donny was good but that was a huge outlay for 30 mins of decent effort - the rest of the time him and bridges were absent.

Enough said.

Tony Thorpe thats a shocking call he was a great goal scorer when given the chance (which he didn't get in Div 1 cus of Akinbiye)

I'd say ~Ian Baird Carl ******* hutching (God I hated him) Mark Lever (the girmsby player) Bridges Partridge Steve Jones (Pre Loan spell away)

Archived