IGNORED

Who Would You Have Light The Olympic Cauldron?

Fordy62

My 3 day old daughter Jemima and i are sat here having a cuddle and we started chatting about the lighting of the cauldron at the opening ceremony.

Now, who exactly is going to do the honours? Dame Kelly Holmes? Sir Steve Redgrave?

For us there is simply only one answer...

Shaun Taylor.

Just kidding, we'd be terribly disappointed if it was anyone other than HRH Queen Elizabeth II. Surely it cannot be anyone else? So who would you have?

(By the way, wasn't watching Team GB football like watching a schoolboy international? No atmosphere, no team togetherness. And I still think Jamal Campbell Ryce should have been picked ahead of Danny Rose.)

Would love it to be Bez, but unlikely. Will probably be someone like Boris Johnson or David Dimpleby FFS.

What would be your best and worst out of interest?

For me: best would be Sir Brian Tinnion, worst would be President Assad. Couldn't see that going down well in the current political climate, but the organisers might manage to out-do their Korean gaff.

My 3 day old daughter Jemima and i are sat here having a cuddle and we started chatting about the lighting of the cauldron at the opening ceremony.

Now, who exactly is going to do the honours? Dame Kelly Holmes? Sir Steve Redgrave?

For us there is simply only one answer...

Shaun Taylor.

Just kidding, we'd be terribly disappointed if it was anyone other than HRH Queen Elizabeth II. Surely it cannot be anyone else? So who would you have?

(By the way, wasn't watching Team GB football like watching a schoolboy international? No atmosphere, no team togetherness. And I still think Jamal Campbell Ryce should have been picked ahead of Danny Rose.)

Wow and I thought MY kids were precocious!

Seriously, Sir Steve would fit the bill - but will it be somebody who has already carried it? He has, so have many of the other candidates I can think of (Kelly Holmes, Daley Thompson, etc.)

Only one candidate imo. Sir Steve Regrave.

That said I heard on the radio the other day that outside of Britain Sir Steve is not that well known and the powers that be want someone with a higher international profile.

Dame Kelly or Sir Chris Hoy

My guess is that whoever lights the cauldron will be a Knight of the Realm.

• Admin

Only one candidate imo. Sir Steve Regrave.

That said I heard on the radio the other day that outside of Britain Sir Steve is not that well known and the powers that be want someone with a higher international profile.

Dame Kelly or Sir Chris Hoy

My guess is that whoever lights the cauldron will be a Knight of the Realm.

Purely on Olympic history would agree with Stevie doing it.

My worst fears would be Beckham, on the radio they said he was kicking a "lit football" during the ceremony !

Remember the guy the other year with the bow and arrow, that fired up to light the flame ?

Beckham to kick the ball up and light it ?

I hope not !

My worst fears would be Beckham, on the radio they said he was kicking a "lit football" during the ceremony !

Remember the guy the other year with the bow and arrow, that fired up to light the flame ?

I hope not !

Cant remember which one but i read that in one of the papers yesterday, beckham to light it by kicking a lit ball into it. About a week or two ago now though i saw an interview on sky sports news where beckham said he didnt want to light to cauldron as he felt it should be an olympian that does it.

I hope not !

Hope it's not a penalty shoot out or the flame will remain unlit.

I hope not !

That was Barcelona in '92 with the archer firing an arrow. Looked spectacular. Though apparently he actually missed, and someone just flicked a switch!

Muhammed Ali in 1996 was great also.

While kicking a flaming ball into the cauldron sounds pretty cool, surely too risky. And the person who lights the flame is traditionally an Olympian. Redgrave is a pretty obvious choice, though maybe the best one.

Isn't there 1 British gold medalist alive from 1948 Olympics?

Daley Thompson a good shout also.

From the BBC - and this does actually sound like a decent idea:

One potential scenario is spanning the generations with an old and young combination.

"A name that was bandied around but seems to have gone a bit quieter now perhaps because it is quite close to his event is 18-year-old diver Tom Daley, who epitomises the youth side and the promise," said BBC Sport commentator Barry Davies.

At the other end of the age spectrum is 92-year-old Dorothy Tyler, Britain's oldest surviving Olympic double medallist. She won high jump silver medals at Berlin in 1936 and the 1948 Games in London.

Archived