IGNORED

Rumours Concerning Redevelopment And Rugby

Rinkadink

Being a rugby man (Bristol, of course), I'd be very interested to know if there's anything you can add to these rumours doing the rounds on the Gas' fan's forum; http://www.brfcforum...om-ashton-gate/.

There's been a lot of talk regarding Bristol Rugby's future recently on our unoffy forum (found here if anyone wants to join us, you'd be most welcome) - and I'm of the opinion we've always felt much more welcome by City fans and would be much better served with a move in with you at Vale or a redeveloped Gate. Especially considering our new majority shareholder, Mr. Lansdown, surely the long-term goal will be having two Premier League sides playing under one roof sharing the fanbase and putting Bristol back on the sporting map. Bristol Rugby playing second fiddle to a fourth teir football side, with the rugby pulling in similar-sized crowds despite being in the Championship (where some clubs only manage a sub-1000 gate) which will swell with success in the Aviva Premier League and potentially be one, if not the biggest supported rugby club in the country, it seems somewhat backwards to remain the Gas' lackey.

As I've recently stated, I don't trust the Gas not particularly like their conduct - they obtained our home in a very questionable manner, are about to flog off a war memorial to a supermarket chain, completely removed all our honours boards and all traces of Bristol RFC from the clubhouse and ground in general, not to mention rinsing us dry financially and taking all bar receipts, etc. Oh yes, can't forget all the bile and hatred regarding us allegedly ruining the pitch thus causing them to loose all the time, despite the only occasion it resembled a mud-bath in the previous season was after their juniors played a midweek game following some truly atrocious weather.

Of course if you can't add anything to the rumours it'd be interesting to hear your opinions too, good or bad. :cool2:

Being a rugby man (Bristol, of course), I'd be very interested to know if there's anything you can add to these rumours doing the rounds on the Gas' fan's forum; http://www.brfcforum...om-ashton-gate/.

There's been a lot of talk regarding Bristol Rugby's future recently on our unoffy forum (found here if anyone wants to join us, you'd be most welcome) - and I'm of the opinion we've always felt much more welcome by City fans and would be much better served with a move in with you at Vale or a redeveloped Gate. Especially considering our new majority shareholder, Mr. Lansdown, surely the long-term goal will be having two Premier League sides playing under one roof sharing the fanbase and putting Bristol back on the sporting map. Bristol Rugby playing second fiddle to a fourth teir football side, with the rugby pulling in similar-sized crowds despite being in the Championship (where some clubs only manage a sub-1000 gate) which will swell with success in the Aviva Premier League and potentially be one, if not the biggest supported rugby club in the country, it seems somewhat backwards to remain the Gas' lackey.

As I've recently stated, I don't trust the Gas not particularly like their conduct - they obtained our home in a very questionable manner, are about to flog off a war memorial to a supermarket chain, completely removed all our honours boards and all traces of Bristol RFC from the clubhouse and ground in general, not to mention rinsing us dry financially and taking all bar receipts, etc. Oh yes, can't forget all the bile and hatred regarding us allegedly ruining the pitch thus causing them to loose all the time, despite the only occasion it resembled a mud-bath in the previous season was after their juniors played a midweek game following some truly atrocious weather.

Of course if you can't add anything to the rumours it'd be interesting to hear your opinions too, good or bad. :cool2:

The rugby coming to city is a no brainer LAnsdown is a shroud business man and won't pay the gas rent if he can move them and play at citys ground for no rent also meaning the ground would be in use every weekend not just once or twice a fortnight,

As for the redvlopment City have had planning permission for it for a long time now its plan B incase the vale doesn't happen,

Rumours are he's brought land around the ground so it can be devloped, how true thouse are I have no idea,

If the vale doesn't happen I fully expect the williams stand to be torn down and redevloped first as it has the most space behind it

Given the state of play with the Ashton Vale redevelopment I doubt any plans could be any more than rumours. It appears perfeclty feasible to lay a pitch for both sports on one ground. Swansea managed to play an impressive passing game on a pitch shared with the Ospreys. As both a Bristol Rugby and Bristol City Season Ticket holder I have high hopes of a loyalty discount at some point ;-) As to venues: I think the joys of the Mem are overplayed (but then being in the South Stand - officially the coldest place on earth - I may be biased). It is certainly the spiritual home of Rugby in Bristol - but a lot of that spirit was debased with the financial nonsense a few years back. The games played at the Gate a few years back were very well attended and I did not detect a loss of atmosphere - indeed the opposite. I suspect if Rovers do move from the Mem the willingness of the rugby crowd to relocate becomes ratehr moot - we will have to go - to UWE/Gloucester or to Ashton Gate/Vale.

If the pitch issues can be resolved then the latter would be much preferable - having a single ownder of the clubs in one venue allows cross marketing/promotions to a much greater extent than having them split over two sites. Imagine an Xmas promotion where City have no home games over the xmas period (like every year recently bar this one!) but Bris do - City season ticket holders get into the rugby for a tenner? Would potentially double the punterage for the rugby - if not more.

As to the 'Memorial' Ground - would there not be some way to build something into Ashton Vale as tribute to the local sportsmen who died in the Great War and WWII - can't imagine anyone would possibly object. Why not name the new Stadium the Memorial Ground? if we did it properly we could do what the rugby club failed to and Rovers seem not to have wanted to do - protect the memory of those lost inthe Great War - beats seeing the gates used as the entrance to a Sainsbury's car park?

Given the state of play with the Ashton Vale redevelopment I doubt any plans could be any more than rumours. It appears perfeclty feasible to lay a pitch for both sports on one ground. Swansea managed to play an impressive passing game on a pitch shared with the Ospreys. As both a Bristol Rugby and Bristol City Season Ticket holder I have high hopes of a loyalty discount at some point ;-) As to venues: I think the joys of the Mem are overplayed (but then being in the South Stand - officially the coldest place on earth - I may be biased). It is certainly the spiritual home of Rugby in Bristol - but a lot of that spirit was debased with the financial nonsense a few years back. The games played at the Gate a few years back were very well attended and I did not detect a loss of atmosphere - indeed the opposite. I suspect if Rovers do move from the Mem the willingness of the rugby crowd to relocate becomes ratehr moot - we will have to go - to UWE/Gloucester or to Ashton Gate/Vale.

If the pitch issues can be resolved then the latter would be much preferable - having a single ownder of the clubs in one venue allows cross marketing/promotions to a much greater extent than having them split over two sites. Imagine an Xmas promotion where City have no home games over the xmas period (like every year recently bar this one!) but Bris do - City season ticket holders get into the rugby for a tenner? Would potentially double the punterage for the rugby - if not more.

As to the 'Memorial' Ground - would there not be some way to build something into Ashton Vale as tribute to the local sportsmen who died in the Great War and WWII - can't imagine anyone would possibly object. Why not name the new Stadium the Memorial Ground? if we did it properly we could do what the rugby club failed to and Rovers seem not to have wanted to do - protect the memory of those lost inthe Great War - beats seeing the gates used as the entrance to a Sainsbury's car park?

The gates are the important part, its a shame if the rugby moved they couldn't bring the gates with them but it would lose alot of the meaning if they do that, a bit like the twin towers at the old wembely

As I've recently stated, I don't trust the Gas not particularly like their conduct - they obtained our home in a very questionable manner,

And what do you think would have happened to the ground had we not stepped in? Amtrak were planning to build on it. It has been said many times before, BRFC gave you favourable terms on the rent and gave you back a lot of the %s for bar taking etc. Didn't have to do that and could have turfed you out. The £10k if either club went bust worked both ways, and I'm sure you lot would have done things differently, right?

if we did it properly we could do what the rugby club failed to and Rovers seem not to have wanted to do - protect the memory of those lost inthe Great War - beats seeing the gates used as the entrance to a Sainsbury's car park?

Funny how people are now going mad about the Memorial aspect of the stadium, when little was heard about that when Amtrak wanted to demolish it before the days when it would affect Rovers' new stadium.

It's not just the gates, its a memorial square. And one that has been well thought out and praised by many.

OP, after reading the rugby forum I would suggest that the majority of Bristol Rugby fans would prefer to stay in their heartlands and play at the UWE stadium, although with SL running things on your side there is little chance of that happening.

I would certainly consider attending Bristol rugby games if they moved in with BCFC, I used to go years ago when rugby was played on a friendly basis.

At the moment I refuse to go anywhere near that Whorefield dump.

BCAGFC

name the new stadium "The memorial Ground"? never happen.

And what do you think would have happened to the ground had we not stepped in? Amtrak were planning to build on it. It has been said many times before, BRFC gave you favourable terms on the rent and gave you back a lot of the %s for bar taking etc. Didn't have to do that and could have turfed you out. The £10k if either club went bust worked both ways, and I'm sure you lot would have done things differently, right?

Funny how people are now going mad about the Memorial aspect of the stadium, when little was heard about that when Amtrak wanted to demolish it before the days when it would affect Rovers' new stadium.

It's not just the gates, its a memorial square. And one that has been well thought out and praised by many.

OP, after reading the rugby forum I would suggest that the majority of Bristol Rugby fans would prefer to stay in their heartlands and play at the UWE stadium, although with SL running things on your side there is little chance of that happening.

Oi, this thread from a rugby fan was adressed to City fans. I thought it wouldn't take long before a gash stuck his dirty little nose in here.

We're talking about you, NOT to you !

And what do you think would have happened to the ground had we not stepped in?

To the contrary, many fans believe it was engineered - after all the plans for the £10,000 buy out were only in place for a month or so before it happened, weren't they? Not to mention the cross-membership of board members, the refusal to make account details available to shareholders, etc... the whole thing stinks.

OP, after reading the rugby forum I would suggest that the majority of Bristol Rugby fans would prefer to stay in their heartlands and play at the UWE stadium

Speaking of suspect goings on, the recent posts from previously unknown members heavily in favour of a UWE move could almost be put into that category. I think you'll find it's far from the majority view as older threads will demonstrate (feel free to dig through, the search is broken and I don't have the time), as will talking to people at the ground itself. I mean, you must be living in cloud cuckoo land if you think the following quote from your favoured posters is representative of the majority of Bristol Rugby fans;

Furriner]

The 1st World War ended nearly a century ago and I fail to grasp how so many people can use that angle as the main plank of their argument for remaining where we are. (We don't need a set of gates to remind us of the carnage of that and later wars.

I'd go if they switched to league.......

Bristol Rugby are hosting an international League World Cup match in 2013, can't remember the teams offhand. Think the Pacific Islands are one.

There are the Bristol Sonics too if you're interested, I like RL a lot but where I live in Somerset now it's a bit of a trek when there's another team a bit closer.

Bristol Rugby are hosting an international League World Cup match in 2013, can't remember the teams offhand. Think the Pacific Islands are one.

There are the Bristol Sonics too if you're interested, I like RL a lot but where I live in Somerset now it's a bit of a trek when there's another team a bit closer.

England V the convicts in Cardiff should be good.

Keep meaning to watch Sonics. They got their first win on the weekend

• Admin

I would certainly consider attending Bristol rugby games if they moved in with BCFC,

At the moment I refuse to go anywhere near that Whorefield dump.

Exactly my point of view, I would not go near that dump unless we were playing there !

If I want to watch live rugby Bath would be the obvious option, also easier to get to by train....

Was there not some mention that there was only one year left on the tenancy, so the rugby club could moved freely next seeason ?

Exactly my point of view, I would not go near that dump unless we were playing there !

If I want to watch live rugby Bath would be the obvious option, also easier to get to by train....

Was there not some mention that there was only one year left on the tenancy, so the rugby club could moved freely next seeason ?

I've been told that it's not a great experience at bath, unless being told to sit down by some arrogant posh **** is your thing.

Apparently next season will be the last for Bris at the mem.....but I suspect the rugby club will stay there untill UWE is built

To the contrary, many fans believe it was engineered - after all the plans for the £10,000 buy out were only in place for a month or so before it happened, weren't they? Not to mention the cross-membership of board members, the refusal to make account details available to shareholders, etc... the whole thing stinks.

The Memorial Stadium Company bought the ground for £2.3m. Each club held 50 per cent of the shares at a value of £10,000 and became tenants of their own company. The clause you refer to was there from the beginning and was to avoid the loss of the ground if one club folded. Most Bristol fans are well aware that the mess they found themselves in was down to incompetent management not Rovers. As is usual in these cases some people find a conspiracy theory of history more attractive than the cock up one.

I've been told that it's not a great experience at bath, unless being told to sit down by some arrogant posh **** is your thing.

Apparently next season will be the last for Bris at the mem.....but I suspect the rugby club will stay there untill UWE is built

Bang on. For a proper rugby experience get to Gloucester. Have a friendly, but incredibly enjoyable rivalry with Bristol - united by the fact we both hate Barf

I will admit that I was unaware that Amtrak bought the Mem at some stage in the past and officially submitted plans to have it demolished. Shame on me!

When did this happen Centenary Gas?

Did you canvas everyone's opinions at the time to be able to make such an accusation now?

This is just a theory I have, next year Financial Fair Play kicks in, Bristol Rugby moving into Ashton Gate and paying rent will boost turnover for BCFC, thus hopefully reducing the impact of ffp. Eventually the administrations of both clubs will be amalgamated, of this I have no doubts what so ever. SL wouldn't of purchased the majority of shares in Bris without a business plan. I do wonder how much the Sags were/are hoping for Bris to move to UWE with them, and if they don't will it have any impact on the development?

Steve Lansdown as publicly stated the Bristol Rugby will keep playing at the Mem. If Rovers build there new ground I sure the Rugby Club will then share with City be it at Ashton Gate or Ashton Vale.

you forgot vital part of that I think he said for the time being, and they only contracted to play their until the end of this season

Perhaps then you like the conduct of a club that alledgedly uses intimidation and cash to get a new ground or fans that vandalise your war memorial and burn down stands or invade the pitch to attack the opposition.

Perhaps you perceive you are going with a hugely successful business man, is this the same man that has made a huge mess of getting a new ground, lost millions getting City just a few places up the league, personally signed James who was a complete disaster and would have taken City down had he not been dropped.

Perhaps you are even him in yet another secret diguise. Must do better.

Perhaps then you like the conduct of a club that alledgedly uses intimidation and cash to get a new ground or fans that vandalise your war memorial and burn down stands or invade the pitch to attack the opposition.

Perhaps you perceive you are going with a hugely successful business man, is this the same man that has made a huge mess of getting a new ground, lost millions getting City just a few places up the league, personally signed James who was a complete disaster and would have taken City down had he not been dropped.

al the c unt more like.

Ha ha. The club whose fans beat up families, sing through minutes silence etc etc.

Must be all that excitement of signing a Faroe islands international.

Archived