IGNORED

It's Gerry Gow Day

bristolcitysweden

Anyone know what the crowd was, or a rough idea?

There were still a fair few empty seats at the ends of the Williams, so my guess would be something around 5k

Good atmosphere and a great reception from the crowd for Gerry Gow. Jackie was another who was particularly well received.

I unfortunately, due to my age, never got to see a lot of todays players in their prime but it was a pleasure to watch them today. Nobody took the game itself too seriously with City sneaking an extra 3 players on at one point and playing the last ten minutes with 12 men.

For me today was about raising a bit of money for some good causes and showing my respect for a man who played for the club i love during one of the most successful spells in its history. I don't care if the attendence wasn't huge or the refreshments were too expensive, it was a good afternoons entertainment and we certainly left having had a laugh.

Also, i thought it was great that Tinman got a good reception on his first return to the club - a legend as a player here.

matthews was very funny, Rotund lad bombed down the wing, out pacing the man city defence, got in the box, looked up for a pass I think it was Thorpe, thought buggerit, cut back inside and smacked it home. Must have thought, that was a long run, i feel out off puff, thenimmediately ran off to be subbed. Nice, can't believe how big he has become.

Tinman looks like he has kept himself in good shape. Jackie, well, apart from a few extra pounds (he was always overweight when playing for us anyway) looked just as i remember him, stood there, looking disinterested, long shirt hung out of his shirts, socks rolled down, occasionally bursting into action.

Now Crambo looked a man possesed, is he still playing? And how old is he, he looked like he still had it to some degree.

As someone else said, Russell could have bossed that game on his own, he looked very fit.

And biff put in a lovely sliding challenge, he has not lost any pace :)

A good afternoon apart from the farce that was getting tickets. Massive queue to the ticket office - out to the main road - then re-directed to the club shop - then re-directed to the ticket office. And it all took so long what with having to choose what seats to buy and also a few questions such as name, address, telephone number, etc. Junior Bent didn't appear to have changed at all whilst Gerry Sweeney looked in fine shape for a 67 year old. First time in the Williams - apart from when I used to stand in the enclosure there - and it shows just how much City need a new ground. Double row of pillars, old fashioned wooden seats and the same toilets I'm sure that used to be there back in the day ... ditto with the catering facilities apart from it's re-branding. That accusation about Man City cheating with 12 players on the pitch - City also had the same number ... I might be mistaken but I think City had a 'Payne' and a 'Jacobs' playing. Surely not Trevor Jacobs? And who was 'Payne'? Overall, not a bad way to spend a sunny summer afternoon.

I could be wrong but i think it was along the lines of 'Thankyou to all the Bristol City fans, you have been fantastic. This is going to be the last time i play football here because of my age, thankyou all very much for supporting me and i hope Bristol City win the league/get promoted this season!' or something similar!

Totally what he said. Both Gow and Jackie are ALL TIME BCFC LEGENDS.

It was a fun day. It was great to see youngsters' enthusiasm for Gerry Gow (what an icon he is) and amazing to be sat in an (almost) full Williams stand watching him play and singing his name again. Tinnion is a few pounds heavier, but still has a quality left foot. No one has mentioned Gerry Sweeney (I think he's 66 now) - incredible for his age. Also, great to see Jackie D, Tony T, the goat etc etc...... there were too many memories evoked to mention all of them. In my previous post, I mentioned "Field of Dreams" - there was an enormous queue for pay on the day .... well done everyone ... you built it and they did come.

Nice to see the number of Manchester City fans there today given that they can see the multi millionaires who won the Premier League for them this season every week they still have time for their history and the players that got them to that point.

matthews was very funny, Rotund lad bombed down the wing, out pacing the man city defence, got in the box, looked up for a pass I think it was Thorpe, thought buggerit, cut back inside and smacked it home. Must have thought, that was a long run, i feel out off puff, thenimmediately ran off to be subbed. Nice, can't believe how big he has become.

Tinman looks like he has kept himself in good shape. Jackie, well, apart from a few extra pounds (he was always overweight when playing for us anyway) looked just as i remember him, stood there, looking disinterested, long shirt hung out of his shirts, socks rolled down, occasionally bursting into action.

Now Crambo looked a man possesed, is he still playing? And how old is he, he looked like he still had it to some degree.

As someone else said, Russell could have bossed that game on his own, he looked very fit.

And biff put in a lovely sliding challenge, he has not lost any pace :)

Yeah but wish Matthews had played and scored like that when he was on City's books!!

That photo on the ~OS~ is that Steve L standing and clapping... looks very much like him.

A return to coming away from the Gate with good memories and a smile Rob Newman,King Bob,Speedy Drysdale,John Shaw,Gary Owers.......Jackie,Tinman,Goater,Sween,Junior real old fashioned testimonial stuff......The Goat scoring for the Manc's ok but Gerry Gow wearing a Man City shirt and playing against us was wierd,good to see a good sprinkling of Blues fans present...The ref counting how many players were on the pitch then giving up classic Lee Matthews goal worth 8 quid alone brought home why i enjoyed the football more in those days.......

I know when I mentioned the game to him, he said no, I'm going to Cornwall. He also said testimonial! I loved Gow, but we make our own way in life. He should have been made in life. I earnt peanuts compared to him, I scrimped and saved all my life, to prepare for old age, I'll be buggered if I am giving gow any of my hard earned money, when he chose to piss his away.

Fair enough I guess, I wouldn't be surprised if other of out oap felt the same.

Yes, well put. Never ever thought about it like that really. We all are fighting to pay our way in this life.. Why further line the pockets of those who have been privileged enough to have had a special life as a professional footballer - a dream for most of us. To say thank you for the memories perhaps? Hmmm. I don't know, would be more comfortable with it were no money involved.

Dunno what happened with the money, personally I don't mind if he kept it or gave it to charity.

I was under the impression from a article written a few years back, he had fallen on hard times.

I took my 11 year old son and it was great to reminise with him some of these great players.

He now understands a little better what Gow, Tinnion, Jacki & Goater means to older supporters.

I was so pleased to see Tony Thorpe as well, what a quality striker he was. I was telling my son how clever he was at creating space and sure enough when Matthews was about to score, Thorpe had peeled off and was unmarked on the penalty spot waiting for the pass.

Absolute class, thank you Tony

I went today and thought it was a pretty special moment when Gerry Gow clapped the fans before KO. That's what it was about for me.

Thats why the whole day was a success IMO.

I think that anyone who didn't go missed out on something special.

Tinnion was class, great to see him again. Never saw Jacki play but so wish I had.

Who was the blonde on the pitch before the game, with the short blue dress and legs up to her ears? Someone said it was Stacey Penton??!!

Hubba Hubba

Saw her walking/gliding past the shop at half time

Double gert lush

Yes, who was it?

Archived