IGNORED

Derek Still After A Midfielder?

Ian M

• Admin

Many saw his interview on Player this week and took him at his word that we will bring in 1 or 2 more players. Combine that with the positions he has regularly said need replacing and it's not a stretch to believe those signings to be a CB & a ST.

However, he didn't ever say left wing was a position he wanted to strengthen yet did & last night said in an interview in Perth that he was hoping for 2 or 3 new signings.

Notice also how in all interviews about next season he is just looking to progress from last season and I believe we have a manager who knows the importance of managing expectations.

Many saw his interview on Player this week and took him at his word that we will bring in 1 or 2 more players. Combine that with the positions he has regularly said need replacing and it's not a stretch to believe those signings to be a CB & a ST.

However, he didn't ever say left wing was a position he wanted to strengthen yet did & last night said in an interview in Perth that he was hoping for 2 or 3 new signings.

Notice also how in all interviews about next season he is just looking to progress from last season and I believe we have a manager who knows the importance of managing expectations.

Completely agree and I would not be surprised to see a surprise signing!!

If he does bring in another midfielder than I can see 2 going the other way, that is if he can offload them. I think Dels being honest when he's looking for an improvement and leaving it at that. Saying anything more than that would be very silly and I doubt if he expects anything more than a mid table finish.

I believe we will require a CB, CM and ideally another decent striker to be competitive.

If somehow DM could do this business in the coming weeks, l would be very optimistic for the coming season.

NB: by optimistic l mean not in a relegation dogfight!

I concur

Its been obvious to us fans for ages that City need a CB along with a another midfielder then it must have been obvious to McInnes for even longer and I've no doubt that we'll see both positions covered before the 18th August. Like others I'm optimistic that we'll also see another striker who has pace.

As for managing expectations. Its common sense to be modest and even downbeat about how City will do this season. Its a win win situation. Should City be disappointing then no-one expected much anyway and if City are flying then everyone's delighted.

Personally I just want see some flair and attacking football, something that's been missing at AG for so long that I can hardly remember the last time I saw City really flying and playing well. I'd much rather see a 4-3 win that a 1-0 win. Wouldn't we all?

Its been obvious to us fans for ages that City need a CB along with a another midfielder then it must have been obvious to McInnes for even longer and I've no doubt that we'll see both positions covered before the 18th August. Like others I'm optimistic that we'll also see another striker who has pace.

As for managing expectations. Its common sense to be modest and even downbeat about how City will do this season. Its a win win situation. Should City be disappointing then no-one expected much anyway and if City are flying then everyone's delighted.

Personally I just want see some flair and attacking football, something that's been missing at AG for so long that I can hardly remember the last time I saw City really flying and playing well. I'd much rather see a 4-3 win that a 1-0 win. Wouldn't we all?

Agree, although I have missed a few seasons, the need for a commanding centre half is clear.

But more importantly is the need for a creative midfielder...

Manager after manager have failed to fill this void..

Maybe Del will bring in the 2-3 players that will make the difference..

These additions will certainly raise expectations..

Agree, although I have missed a few seasons, the need for a commanding centre half is clear.

But more importantly is the need for a creative midfielder...

Manager after manager have failed to fill this void..

Maybe Del will bring in the 2-3 players that will make the difference..

These additions will certainly raise expectations..

If only we could find another Shaun Taylor praying%20smiley.gif

My suspicion is that only a CB and a Striker will come in. My suspicion is that good creative midfielders are incredibly hard to come by in the Championship and the signing of Anderson is a compromise to get a player in who can play behind the strikers or can play on the left to allow Pearson to play in the middle.

It's not ideal, and I'd hope a midfielder would come into but it might just be that, Buzsaky aside, nobody's really come available at a price and wage that makes sense for the club. If that's the case then it's a shame but, especially given how many midfielders we have, I'd rather McInnes waited for the right player in the future than signed for a signing's sake.

I personally think a commanding centre-back and another striker should be our priorities for this season as we're clearly weak in both those two areas. If we can get those players in, I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to keep our heads above water this season.

We'd have to offload for sure to bring in another midfielder and with Pearson, Elliot, Skuse, Morris, Kilkenny there for more central roles and Woolford, Anderson, Adomah and Bolasie who can play wide we have way too many on the wage bill already. I'd say we need to offload one already, with another one having to go if we bring in one.

If only we could find another Shaun Taylor praying%20smiley.gif

Shaun Taylor was an awesome leader on the pitch. A real hard case and as tough as they come. A great first ball winner who bagged over 50 goals in his career but sadly lacking in pace. On the deck he was easily mystified by nippy strikers with quick feet.

If McInnes could find a CB with Taylor's leadership qualities, toughness and ability to win the aerial ball then we'd all be delighted. Amougou reminded me of him and is probably the closest we've come to finding that type of CB.

Although I agree with you regarding wanting to see attacking, entertaining football first and foremost I prefer to see a solid defence just to give my nerves a break this season. 4-3's maybe entertaining but 1-0 earns you the same amount of points and any defence that ships goals can concede more than we can score. As you say it's good Del isn't building us up as potential promotion material as dear old Keith did last season but is happy to let the results speak for themselves. So far I'm pleased with the signings he's made, 3 youngish lads with points to prove and a genuine leader in the form of Jody Morris. I'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in as a Centre half and striker and these could be key to the entertainment we all desire. Should he also bring in a quality midfield ball player (unlikely I know) then I'll be more than quietly confident of a decent season.

Don't disagree with any of this. I'm just confused at the "ST" acronym! Is this a striker?

Our highest priority is a commanding centre back (preferably one who can captain the team also e.g. McManus) but beyond that I'd like to see some pace up front. If we achieve both of those in the next two weeks I'll be a very happy bunny.

I know I'm in the minority but I don't get this "we badly need another creative midfielder" stuff.

Firstly what are Kilkenny, Morris (and in my view) Skuse if not "creative"? plus Del has brought in Pearson and we also have Elliott, that's 5 senior central midfielders already, with FFP such an obvious concern that's a more than large enough chunk of our playing budget, I'd have thought.

We also have 4 wingers in Albert, Bolasie, Woolford and now Anderson, so that's 9 midfielders on our books.

When I read posts that talk about "2 midfielders moving on", do they not know that in the last year only Maynard has left us when under contract without us having to pay them off?

Look at the players that we've let go in May, none of them have contracts with Championship clubs.

I just can't see another midfielder coming in now.

If we could, I'd get shot of Elliott, Skuse, Woolford and Kilkenny, and replace them with a couple of quality midfielders worthy of the name. Pie in the sky obviously, but that would be my wish.

It is 'pie the sky'. Midfield is the one area where every team needs depth and quality and I'd agree that Elliot doesn't have that quality but should the other three be played in their best positions then all of them could be a vital part of next season's midfield. Add Morris ( I have no idea how useful he is ) Pearson and possibly Anderson and City would appear to be well covered.

Problem will be when suspensions and injuries kick in. What quality cover is there? Thats why I think we'll see another midfielder arrive.

That said, I have feeling that Woolford will come good. We saw signs of his real ability towards the end of last season. If Kilkenny is played higher up the pitch he would be far more effective than when he slows everything down by passing sideways when further back. Cole 'Mr Versatile' should be allowed a free midfield role imo. He has a terrific engine, is pacey, great tackler and can pick a pass. If Morris is as useful as the Saintees say then he'd be the perfect protection for the back four.

That said, I have feeling that Woolford will come good. We saw signs of his real ability towards the end of last season. If Kilkenny is played higher up the pitch he would be far more effective than when he slows everything down by passing sideways when further back. Cole 'Mr Versatile' should be allowed a free midfield role imo. He has a terrific engine, is pacey, great tackler and can pick a pass. If Morris is as useful as the Saintees say then he'd be the perfect protection for the back four.

What did Wooly show towards the end of the season which makes you think that?

All i saw was work rate which is minimum requirement from any player. For a winger when he does get himself in good positions his end product is poor. Rabbit in headlights when he has a chance to score himelf. He has had more than enough chances to show what he can do whilst he's been here.

With Andersons preferred position being left wing along with the fact Pearson, Bolasie and Bryan all can play their too i see no reason why Woolford should still be here. Last year of hs contract i believe so tranfer list with immediate effect and get something back on him.

All i saw was work rate which is minimum requirement from any player. For a winger when he does get himself in good positions his end product is poor. Rabbit in headlights when he has a chance to score himelf. He has had more than enough chances to show what he can do whilst he's been here.

With Andersons preferred position being left wing along with the fact Pearson, Bolasie and Bryan all can play their too i see no reason why Woolford should still be here. Last year of hs contract i believe so tranfer list with immediate effect and get something back on him.

Totally agree. There's just no product from Woolford whatsoever. I'd be looking to move him on and I'd consider offers on Elliott too, and have a real long look for a goalscoring midfielder with some craft.

He had a couple of much better spells in games when he was much more positive and more involved. He showed glimpses of what made him such a hit at Scunny. It sometimes take players a while to settle in at a new club and maybe thats why we've seen so little of Woolfords true ability. Drogba did very little in his first season at Chelsea......

Last year of his contract i believe so tranfer list with immediate effect and get something back on him.

Totally agree. There's just no product from Woolford whatsoever. I'd be looking to move him on and I'd consider offers on Elliott too, and have a real long look for a goalscoring midfielder with some craft.

He has two years left, as he signed a three and a half year contract when he arrived.

No reason to suggest that there would be any interest in him or in Elliott if we made them available, see my earlier post- we've only been able to move on one contracted player (Maynard) in the last 12 months without paying them off.

Archived