IGNORED

Brechin V Rangers

22A

Yet of course if this had happened to city I'm sure you would have all been saying the same

Right?

There was/is a HUGE difference between why City almost went under and the reasons behind both Portsmouth and Rangers going/nearly going to the wall.

Rangers, whilst I don't treat them with the same level of disdain as multiple offenders Portsmouth, sought to avoid tax payments to OUR government of between 70 and £100m by using an illegal monetary loan system(tax evasion) . City were foolish in offering ridiculous length contracts to players because of changes in the game at that time, not necessarily spending beyond our means like Rangers, or chasing the dream like Pompey, but unfortunately we were caught out by relegation upon relegation from the top flight.

Unlike Pompey, after the restructuring of our club, we played kids, including the fabulously named Forbes Phiilipson-Masters(has to be the greatest name of any player in our history), accepted our fate and knuckled down, not sign players on contracts worth £20-£35k PER WEEK.

FWIW, it is well known that Rangers are not the only club to use this method of paying its players to evade tax, and like Rangers I shall have no sympathy for any other club that is found to have breached this payment method and is ordered to pay the back tax.

Archived