IGNORED

Ferdinand Charged For 'choc Ice' Comment

Bryans Left Peg

rio should be allowed to say what he likes when he likes, its crap like this that makes it impossible to talk about different races and immigration etc in this country, god forbid we could have an intelligent open conversation without people going oohhh thats discrimination. being disciplined for calling someone a choc ice shows how ******* soft as a species we are becoming, the greek athlete getting banned last week was bad enough but this is just pathetic. also hearing scumbags like clarke carlisle and stan collymore speak on these matters makes me furious because of their power to cause shifts in peoples opinions, i am not asking for much here just free speech but it seems to be slowly evaporating.

rio should be allowed to say what he likes when he likes, its crap like this that makes it impossible to talk about different races and immigration etc in this country, god forbid we could have an intelligent open conversation without people going oohhh thats discrimination. being disciplined for calling someone a choc ice shows how ******* soft as a species we are becoming, the greek athlete getting banned last week was bad enough but this is just pathetic. also hearing scumbags like clarke carlisle and stan collymore speak on these matters makes me furious because of their power to cause shifts in peoples opinions, i am not asking for much here just free speech but it seems to be slowly evaporating.

Welcome back to the 1960s everybody.

If anything this is racist towards white people, saying Cole is not good enough to be black.

Either way, I will reiterate, Ferdinand did not call Cole anything, just laughed when someone else did.

Seems racism towards whites doesn't count though, as the stance seems Cole has been racially abused, but in some kind of reverse fashion.

Yes Basso. Why can't you be free to go around sprouting your racist views? It's ridiculous isn't it?!

Just so everyone else is clear, Clarke Carlisle and Stan Collymore are 'scumbags' for trying to cause a shift in racial discrimination.

On this forum today I have read at least five racist and/or homophobic comments.

they are scumbags for trying to suppress peoples right to have a voice and to express their opinion. i really don't see how rio not being allowed to call someone a choc ice a positive shift when its not even racist.

So you think that people should be allowed to voice their opinion no-matter what that opinion is?

they are scumbags for trying to suppress peoples right to have a voice and to express their opinion. i really don't see how rio not being allowed to call someone a choc ice a positive shift when its not even racist.

Which is not what's in question, your original post was ridiculous.

If anything this is racist towards white people, saying Cole is not good enough to be black.

Either way, I will reiterate, Ferdinand did not call Cole anything, just laughed when someone else did.

Seems racism towards whites doesn't count though, as the stance seems Cole has been racially abused, but in some kind of reverse fashion.

Bar the second paragraph, this seems slightly confused It's not racial abuse in reverse - it's stereotyping how black people should act and present themselves. The underlying logic of the comment is that any black person who sides with a white person in a dispute between a black person or a white person, or (in how the term is often applies) gets a job which is traditionally seen as the side of authority (policeman, lawyer etc.) is somehow betraying their race. The consequence of which is that it implies there's only certain ways black people 'should' be allowed to act, jobs they 'should' do or attitudes they 'should' take and, if they fail to behave in the way which black people 'should' behave then they somehow aren't really black at all.

I think racist is the wrong term for it (or at least a loaded term that people tend to understand in a certain way) but it perpetuates stereotypes and potentially either dissuades young black people from aspiring to certain jobs or demeans those black people who do those jobs already. So it is fairly offensive and its perfectly reasonable for the FA to pull Ferdinand up on it.

All i know is that Titter, as it should be called, needs to be banned for footballers with low IQ's. Which means about half of all professional players.

They get paid enough so its hardly going be a hardship sacrifice for them.

The evidence is pretty compelling these past few months and since every defendant is entitled a lawyer paid for by the Crown which is funded by the tax payer I have every right to suggest such a ban.

What utter waste of public funds bringing such nonsense to court; put them in a ring and let em slog it out.

It pretty much is racist though isn't it? Let's not pretend we don't know what calling someone a choc ice means. In addition, if said person is offended by being called a choc ice, I'm pretty sure prohibiting players from calling them that might just be a shift in the right direction.

Rio should be allowed to say what he is like? So its ok for him to endorse a racist comment? Especially after all his outspoken comments regarding JT. Should JT be allowed to say what he likes, when he likes? Or is it only ok for Rio because he's black?

Choc Ice is a rascist comment, it is implying that Ashley Cole has betrayed his skin colour by defending John Terry. Rio is a complete tool for his response to that comment, if he was as anti-rascist as he likes to make out then he would have told that person that his comment was not acceptable.

Rio should be allowed to say what he is like? So its ok for him to endorse a racist comment? Especially after all his outspoken comments regarding JT. Should JT be allowed to say what he likes, when he likes? Or is it only ok for Rio because he's black?

Choc Ice is a rascist comment, it is implying that Ashley Cole has betrayed his skin colour by defending John Terry. Rio is a complete tool for his response to that comment, if he was as anti-rascist as he likes to make out then he would have told that person that his comment was not acceptable.

I think this line here, has just won the entire argument on the matter. Spot on, Nobody can disagree

Let's hope the FA give him an absolute Rocket, and fine him Hundreds and Thousands............. That would be Fab..

After John Terry walked away from court an innocent man (rightly or wrongly) didn't Black footballers call for their own "Black Footballers" Union?

I guess that's ok?

But what if White footballers wanted to set up a "White footballers" Union?

Let's hope the FA give him an absolute Rocket, and fine him Hundreds and Thousands............. That would be Fab..

After John Terry walked away from court an innocent man (rightly or wrongly) didn't Black footballers call for their own "Black Footballers" Union?

I guess that's ok?

That is very true, not very inclusive, by those who want to be treated as one. Same goes for the mobo awards, why not the Mowo's. Big big calls for people to stop racism, and the inclusivity that goes with that. But then separation by peoples own doing and choice is okay.

I have no issue with Blacks whites, pasians etc etc starting up their own awards, councils, Unnons etc etc. But it just flies in the face of what people are trying to promote.

Oh well!

As for Choc Ice, someone said it wasn't racist, it is the same as calling a White a Whigger. Both racist, as both would insult others with the colour conitation attached to it

I guess that's ok?

Interesting point.

At work we have clubs for black and Asian, lesbians, gays and transgender, and women.

It baffles me every day. I don't fit into any of those groups.

Physically attacking someone of a different race is definitely racist. Discriminating against someone of a different race is racist. calling someone a choc ice? Hmmmm. Sometimes I think people with the best intentions can actually make things worse.

I guess that's ok?

Whilst I agree a black footballers' union would be divisive and counter-productive, there is a clear difference in so far as that black footballers would (hypothetically) be setting up as a minority group whose interests weren't being adequately represented due to the existing footballers' union being too generally focused and not focussing on their specific needs. In a similar way to the fact that the MOBO awards exist because music critics (and hence the Brit Awards) tend to historically predominantly favour rock and indie music, which tends to be made by white musicians. Admittedly it's improved now but when the MOBOs were set up there was a clear need for them.

A white footballers' union or a Music of White Origin awards would simply be redundant more than anything else. Especially when you've got the Q awards and the NME awards unofficially covering the latter...

Physically attacking someone of a different race is definitely racist. Discriminating against someone of a different race is racist. calling someone a choc ice? Hmmmm. Sometimes I think people with the best intentions can actually make things worse.

I think the problem is a lot of people don't understand the connotations of phrases like 'coconut' and 'choc ice' and the effect that they have, particularly in that they tend to be used in a way that attempts to ostracise any black person who doesn't conform to an idea of a homogenous black community. I actually think in some ways it's an insult that's probably a lot harder for a lot of people to brush off than a racist comment from someone of a different race to themselves.

Archived