IGNORED

The League Cup - Time To Ditch It?

Barrs Court Red

I agree I find it very boring and pointless.

We could have something like a regional cup or local cup tournament. So it would be vs teams who are local, the gas, swindon, cheltenham, yeovil etc etc. maybe add cardiff/swansea too. (note i said maybe)

It would be a short tournament so it doesn't drag on too long getting in the way of league games, that brings excitement of local derby games, competition and rivalry.

Teams that are lucky enough to draw top clubs or even go on a decent cup run would see differently. 89' was our last decent run in the competition and Man City or Everton were the two biggest teams I can remember coming down. I see the point of the OP as our history in the league cup is pretty poor.

Teams that are lucky enough to draw top clubs or even go on a decent cup run would see differently. 89' was our last decent run in the competition and Man City or Everton were the two biggest teams I can remember coming down. I see the point of the OP as our history in the league cup is pretty poor.

Reached the semis in 1970, what more do you want !

Tend to agree with getting rid of it. I can't really see it getting decent crowds with any kind of format change.

The Prem teams would happily see it gone, and it might help the international side a bit. Only without the big clubs there is not so much incentive for the other divisions. I can't see how a home nations cup would get crowds either in the main.

Maybe it could be replaced with an under-23 competition or something. Gives the first team squad a less clogged calendar but doesn't take the match practise away from the youngsters?

i liked the idea of a british cup that was talked about a few months ago

could be a good laugh, away at clyde, east stirling etc

or if lucky celtic or rangers

I quite like that idea as well, although there would be some absolutely hilarious travelling crowds!

One thing I've thought about during the last few seasons is maybe taking out the Premier League teams and just having Championship, League 1 and League 2 teams competing in it. I'm not suggesting that it is a particularly brilliant plan, but you would have to think that the clubs involved would take it seriously as teams like City would surely feel they had a decent chance of a day at Wembley and possibly winning a trophy. This would surely make for a better competition than the shambles the League Cup usually is. All the Premier League teams do is moan about having to play in it every year so they would probably be happier out of it.

Of course you are removing the chance for a team to do what Palace did last year and win at Old Trafford and removing the 'big boys' may actually lead to the competition being scrapped completely, but I just feel they need to experiment with it a bit as otherwise it will continue being an afterthought of a cup and to many teams a nuisance.

And given that the top clubs dislike the FA Cup - ditch the lot .. All that matters is the Premier League ..

I don't think any of them dislike the FA cup really, quite the reverse. They just think the calendar is too full and when some clubs are playing 60+ competitive games a season I tend to agree, that's why you get relegation battlers and Euro competitors not fielding strong sides in the League cup and very occasionally in the FA cup.

I think the game would be better off having one cup competition that's taken seriously (i.e. has a Champion's League place for a prize) than two that get sacrificed to preserve league form.

One thing I've thought about during the last few seasons is maybe taking out the Premier League teams and just having Championship, League 1 and League 2 teams competing in it. I'm not suggesting that it is a particularly brilliant plan, but you would have to think that the clubs involved would take it seriously as teams like City would surely feel they had a decent chance of a day at Wembley and possibly winning a trophy. This would surely make for a better competition than the shambles the League Cup usually is. All the Premier League teams do is moan about having to play in it every year so they would probably be happier out of it.

I thought about that but would it get crowds without Prem clubs?

You'd probably want to bin the JPT if you did that too.

I thought about that but would it get crowds without Prem clubs?

You'd probably want to bin the JPT if you did that too.

Yeah I did forget to add that the JPT would also be scrapped.

The issue with the crowds is a fair one and obviously I don't really have any clue of how the majority would feel, but I think it does have the ability to grab the attention of fans, certainly from the Championship, if they feel their clubs have a genuine chance of getting to Wembley and winning a cup. That certainly appeals much more to me than winning a couple of games and then losing to a Premier League reserve team which is the best case scenario at the moment. Having said that, them from over the bridge managed to get to Wembley last year!

Although not just losing to lower league opposition would be a start for us!

Yeah I did forget to add that the JPT would also be scrapped.

The issue with the crowds is a fair one and obviously I don't really have any clue of how the majority would feel, but I think it does have the ability to grab the attention of fans, certainly from the Championship, if they feel their clubs have a genuine chance of getting to Wembley and winning a cup. That certainly appeals much more to me than winning a couple of games and then losing to a Premier League reserve team which is the best case scenario at the moment. Having said that, them from over the bridge managed to get to Wembley last year!

Although not just losing to lower league opposition would be a start for us!

Have said this before...

...scrap the Johnstones Paint Auto Windscreen b*ll*cks and make the Football League Cup for the Football League...

...also, save the last English Champions League place for the winners of the F.A. Cup and bring the magic back to it...

...would like to see Wenger, Ferguson et al put out a second-string F.A. Cup side then!

Are we just calling for it to be ditched cause we are so bad in this competition? I am fed up getting turned over by division 4 teams year after year, but remember 1989 and how close we were to Wembley Forest away in the first leg was one of my favourite games! whatever happended to Paul Mardon?

Are we just calling for it to be ditched cause we are so bad in this competition? I am fed up getting turned over by division 4 teams year after year, but remember 1989 and how close we were to Wembley Forest away in the first leg was one of my favourite games! whatever happended to Paul Mardon?

Exactly. If we went on a run to the quarters or semis this year (not out of the question, we can't be much worse than Palace last season who did this), then we'd all be excited about the League Cup again.

I really don't think a cup involving the Championship, League 1 and League 2 would get much interest. Yes, it would offer a better chance of winning it, or getting to the final. But would fans care about winning something in which the big teams couldnt compete? It's bascially the JPT, plus the Championship. And the JPT only gets fans interested come the final. The earlier rounds would have much smaller gates than the League Cup now.

Archived