IGNORED

Midfield, Midfield, Midfield!

headhunter

Thierry Henry at his peak would find it difficult to score with the woeful service that continues to come from midfield that, IMHO, is the route cause of most of our problems and has been since the play off failure in 08.

Yesterday's quartet just doesn't have the right blend:

Foster / Skuse / Pearson / Woolford

Skuse is the only one worthy of a place amongst that lot. Pearson and Woolford just don't, to coin a GJ phrase, do enough to "affect the game". Woolford has i improved but that is from a ground zero base and I can't see the point of Pearson - someone tell me why I am wrong with this view.

Our promotion to this league in 07 really has to be down to GJ's ability to mould a team and create a spirit as even his side lacked a bit of balance so to see what a midfield should really look like let's go back to the last two BCFC sides that were promoted :

89/90

GAVIN / RENNIE / SHELTON / SMITH

Gavin didn't have pace but he had guile and could send in a wicked corner

Smith was an out and out pacy winger

Rennie was the ball winner

Shelton had the class

They provided 20 goals (Shelton 9) of the 76 scored in 46 league games.

97/98

John Ward's team chopped and changed a bit but this is how that midfield shaped up.

MURRAY or GOODRIDGE / 2 from OWERS, EDWARDS or DOHERTY / TINNION

Pace on the right, nothing needs to be said about Tinns and then a workmanlike central midfield from what was available.

From what we have on staff now Adomah should play the wide role, Skuse the holder, Elliott on his 07/08 form, but that ain't gonna be repeated so you are left with two men down those roles being filled by Woolford & Pearson - that's the problem .... simples!!!

Discuss

I have been very supportive of McInnes and pretty positive thus far, I would hope that the midfield 4 selected yesterday is not going to be a regular occurrence. It was clear we had set up for a point and although it wasn't a poor performance and certainly not the worst result we will have, I think sends out the wrong message straight away.

I'm sure we will set up more positively and with far more intent on Tuesday night. I hope we will see Morris playing with Adomah back on the right hand side.

Personally I would like to see us set up like this: More of a 4-3-3 when attacking.

------------------------Heaton-------------------------------

Wilson----Carey--------------Fonts-------Cunningham

----------------Skuse------------Elliott---------------------

-------------------------Morris-------------------------------

Adomah-----------------------------------------Anderson

------------------------Stead--------------------------------

You're comparing midfields from a League below. IMHO, we have a midfield of a similar ability that would do ok in that League.

We've been going backwards every year since promotion. I don't see this year being any different. Hopefully i'm wrong...but just look at the track record of the majority of our playing staff. We are a bottom 5 team at best.

Very unfair on Skuse, who apart from Cunningham was probably our best player yesterday. Certainly the best out of the front 6 players by a long way!

I have to admit, I personally think that's maybe the best line up we have. I agree completely that leaving out Skuse is a difficult decision but then I don't think you can play Skuse AND Morris in central midfield together, imo. Neither are the really attacking, creative midfielder that we need and therefore Marv probably complements either Skuse or Morris better than each other or Pearson would.

If DJ signs, DJ in place of Pitman.

This is the team that I will go with.

----------------Skuse------------Morris---------------------

-------------------------Pearson-------------------------------

This is the team that I will go with.

----------------Skuse------------Morris---------------------

-------------------------Pearson-------------------------------

I'd be surprised if Louis plays 2 games in 4 days. Likely to be either Nyatangle or Wilson. Can't see us starting 2 strikers unless we have Taylor fit as cover or have signed a new striker.

Archived