IGNORED

Del's Signings (So Far)

Harry

Before McInnes was appointed, a lot of people were calling for a Manager who had Championship experience, one who knew this division etc etc.

Now - I'm not getting carried away as there is a long hard season ahead of us, but so far I am pleased with Del's acquisitions and I think he has firmly put to bed those who doubted his nouse about this level of football.

I am also extremely pleased with type of character and the age of his recruits. I believe he is really beginning to make his mark on this squad, getting in the players he wants and trusts, and potentially building a squad that can stay together for a few years and grow together.

As Lloyd Grossman used to say.... Lets look at the evidence :

Tom Heaton - 26 years old, 50 appearances at Championship level. Good experience already, still young for a keeper and yet to reach his prime, lots of potential and upside to this.

Ricky Foster - 27 years old, 240 SPL appearances (15 for Rangers). Experienced, versatile, still young. Was brought in initially as a quick fix but in my opinion has done enough to deserve a place in the squad, although perhaps not to be deemed a first XI.

Mark Wilson - 28 years old, 215 SPL appearances (98 for Celtic). Experienced, versatile, still a good age and plenty more to see from this lad.

Greg Cunningham - 21 years old, 2 Prem and 40 Championship appearances. Young, bags of upside, served his apprenticeship in this division.

Paul Anderson - 24 years old, 149 Championship appearances. Young, served his apprenticeship in this division, loads of potential.

Steve Davies - 24 years old, 83 Championship appearances. Young, best years ahead of him and has shown an eye for a goal when fit.

Stephen Pearson - 29 years old, 24 Prem, 91 Championship & 136 SPL appearances. Experienced, versatile. Brought in initially to do a job and arguably earned himself a contract. Still a good couple of years left in him yet, but does need to produce more.

Jody Morris - 33 years old, 124 Prem and 12 Championship appearances. Experienced head, leader, organiser, trusted former player. In spite of the age, I firmly believe this one will turn out to be a shrewd signing.

So, as the evidence tells us Lloyd, Del certainly knows his Championship players. Those who perhaps purported that he didn't know this division have hopefully been proven wrong (again, I know there's a long way to go).

Forget the signings made last year - he was buying for the battle raging at the time. The war still goes on and he's now assembling his RED ARMY. There is plentiful Championship experience in there, a smattering of Prem experience & a shed of SPL experience. There is also a good balance between youth and experience, and plenty of future potential. Morris and probably Pearson aside, this set of signings can stay together for a number of years and really build a good future for our club.

I for one, am liking what I see so far.

Before McInnes was appointed, a lot of people were calling for a Manager who had Championship experience, one who knew this division etc etc.

Now - I'm not getting carried away as there is a long hard season ahead of us, but so far I am pleased with Del's acquisitions and I think he has firmly put to bed those who doubted his nouse about this level of football.

I am also extremely pleased with type of character and the age of his recruits. I believe he is really beginning to make his mark on this squad, getting in the players he wants and trusts, and potentially building a squad that can stay together for a few years and grow together.

Tom Heaton - 26 years old, 50 appearances at Championship level. Good experience already, still young for a keeper and yet to reach his prime, lots of potential and upside to this.

Ricky Foster - 27 years old, 240 SPL appearances (15 for Rangers). Experienced, versatile, still young. Was brought in initially as a quick fix but in my opinion has done enough to deserve a place in the squad, although perhaps not to be deemed a first XI.

Mark Wilson - 28 years old, 215 SPL appearances (98 for Celtic). Experienced, versatile, still a good age and plenty more to see from this lad.

Greg Cunningham - 21 years old, 2 Prem and 40 Championship appearances. Young, bags of upside, served his apprenticeship in this division.

Paul Anderson - 24 years old, 149 Championship appearances. Young, served his apprenticeship in this division, loads of potential.

Steve Davies - 24 years old, 83 Championship appearances. Young, best years ahead of him and has shown an eye for a goal when fit.

Stephen Pearson - 29 years old, 24 Prem, 91 Championship & 136 SPL appearances. Experienced, versatile. Brought in initially to do a job and arguably earned himself a contract. Still a good couple of years left in him yet, but does need to produce more.

Jody Morris - 33 years old, 124 Prem and 12 Championship appearances. Experienced head, leader, organiser, trusted former player. In spite of the age, I firmly believe this one will turn out to be a shrewd signing.

So, as the evidence tells us Lloyd, Del certainly knows his Championship players. Those who perhaps purported that he didn't know this division have hopefully been proven wrong (again, I know there's a long way to go).

Forget the signings made last year - he was buying for the battle raging at the time. The war still goes on and he's now assembling his red army. There is plentiful Championship experience in there, a smattering of Prem experience & a shed of SPL experience. There is also a good balance between youth and experience, and plenty of future potential. Morris and probably Pearson aside, this set of signings can stay together for a number of years and really build a good future for our club.

24 year yr olds young??? agree that del has bought well for the money spent

I'm happy with what he has brought in, with our supposed cutbacks and relatively small budget, he has attracted some good players and I'm looking forward to a couple more coming in.

It's all good on paper but the proof will be in the pudding - as they say.

Forget the signings made last year - he was buying for the battle raging at the time. The war still goes on and he's now assembling his RED ARMY. There is plentiful Championship experience in there, a smattering of Prem experience & a shed of SPL experience. There is also a good balance between youth and experience, and plenty of future potential. Morris and probably Pearson aside, this set of signings can stay together for a number of years and really build a good future for our club.

I agree 100%. I would like to see a dominant Centre-Half though, before the deadline.

I agree 100%. I would like to see a dominant Centre-Half though, before the deadline.

I concur also. I'm reasonably happy with the signings. As Harry points out, they generally have experience and youth which is good.

However, the key position that needed sorting was (is!) centre back. I'm sure Del is still working on this but I hope Amougou isn't the outcome.

My other two worries so far this season include the absolutely woeful Gillingham performance. I don't mind the players losing or playing badly (I'm a City fan; I'm used to it). I do mind the seeming lack of urgency in the Cup game. We aren't in the Cup any more because various players just couldn't be arsed. This worries me that Del allows this attitude to pervade.

Finally, I'm concerned that he made Fontaine captain. I'd be a better choice for captain than Fontaine.

I hope these are forgotten by Christmas though.

While i think del has put a few doubters out; i dont see the harm of getting plays from the lower leagues, after all, considering players that have made it at this level, have tended to come from the lower leagues, ie. Graham, Doyle, Austin, Adomah, and Le Fondre (who we puldve had) to name a few.

Theres no harm for going for the targets he has done, as it is less of a risk, can still get a gem from the lower leagues if our scouting were improved (which im hoping it will be).

I agree with Kibs, on paper looks very good and I'm excited by the prospect of what this squad could do assuming we do get a cd and a pacy striker (and Buzsaky, tho looking very unlikely now). But how often do teams on paper not live up to expectations. Let's hope this isn't one of them. Time will tell. Let's get going with a win tonight. Come on city!

My other two worries so far this season include the absolutely woeful Gillingham performance. I don't mind the players losing or playing badly (I'm a City fan; I'm used to it). I do mind the seeming lack of urgency in the Cup game. We aren't in the Cup any more because various players just couldn't be arsed. This worries me that Del allows this attitude to pervade.

Well, he bollocked the players at HT and FT and got them in for training first thing the next morning so I would say the players were well aware that he wasn't happy with that performance.

There was quite significant changes to the team Saturday and the attitude was much better.

For whatever reason, we just don't do cup matches.

Alot of fans @ this club doubted him. Even thought throughout the football community he is regarded as one of the most promising young coaches in the country.

Yes he got us into the play off final but that doesnt say that he didnt waste a large chunk of pennies on the likes of styvar

So let's pick out the only manager to give us any bit of success in the past 10 years, because of course some forum users believe it to be cool, bur totally forget the utter crap Millen left us with and don't get me started on that ***** Coppell, who by the way both achieved absolutely **** all.

How can anyone be happy with the signings that McInnes has made when City are one game ( a defeat ) into the new season?

None of us have no idea how effective any of his signings will be so this thread praising the manager is a bit premature. I was hoping for an aggressive and dominant midfield performance from Morris against the Gills but he was shocking.

Plus........he still hasn't signed a right sided commanding centre half or a pacey striker.

Lets get at least 10 games into the new campaign before pass judgement on players we've barely seen play.

Of course you can be happy with the signings. It can be based on what they've done previously in their career and what we think they may help us to achieve but as many of us have said at this stage it is just happiness and excitement of the prospect. Of course we have to wait and see if they turn out to be good signings or not. You would hope that at least half of them (4/8 by the time he's finished) would be good 'uns.

How can anyone be happy with the signings that McInnes has made when City are one game ( a defeat ) into the new season?

None of us have no idea how effective any of his signings will be so this thread praising the manager is a bit premature. I was hoping for an aggressive and dominant midfield performance from Morris against the Gills but he was shocking.

Plus........he still hasn't signed a right sided commanding centre half or a pacey striker.

Lets get at least 10 games into the new campaign before pass judgement on players we've barely seen play.

After the last couple of seasons, and everyone hopeing there would be a clear out of some of the overpaid dross accumulated under Millen and Coppell surely you have to allow fellow fans a degree of positive optimism now that McInnes has done that and is building his own team.

However, your "praising the manager is a bit premature " tone is remeniscent of posts you were making about Gary Johnson while we were all walking up Wembley Way in 2008.

After the last couple of seasons, and everyone hopeing there would be a clear out of some of the overpaid dross accumulated under Millen and Coppell surely you have to allow fellow fans a degree of positive optimism now that McInnes has done that and is building his own team.

My point is that whilst Mcinnes has had a squad clear out and started to bring in some new blood, we as fans have no idea yet whether these new players will prove to be good signings. Let be honest we have seen some very poor additions to the squad over recent years.

Lets not get carried away with baseless optimism and give these new players time to see how they shape up.The proof of the pudding is in the eating....

Lets not get carried away with baseless optimism and give these new players time to see how they shape up.The proof of the pudding is in the eating....

I actually agree, let's wait and see. I have a feeling Davies could be a hit here though.

In response to the OP, Nyatanga joined us at 21 years old with over 100 appearances at C'ship level and a full Welsh international yet he gets his fair share of stick on here.

Nyatanga is out of contract next summer, out of interest who would offer him a new one?

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another,

with no loss of enthusiam

WINSTON SPENCER CHURCHILL

To be fair this is what some/a lot of us are saying. As you said, any judgement should be reserved until at least 10 games down the line. But we can still be happy that it looks like we have a better, more balanced squad under Del than we did under Keith, strong cd being the main weak point now.

However, your "praising the manager is a bit premature " tone is remeniscent of posts you were making about Gary Johnson while we were all walking up Wembley Way in 2008.

Mcinnes has been lucky, most of that dross had their contracts run out this year. I notice he hadn't done so well moving dross on that is still in contract.

Let's not get carried away here, he just let contracts run out. We didn't make any money back, no matter how small on any of them.

I think the damage caused by Coppell & Keef to the club was so severe, it might take more than one summer to repair.

But unlike under Keef, there seems to be real room for optimism.

And yes, you should know more than anyone that it is prudent to allow at least 10 games or so before passing judgement on a manager! :yahoo:

Mcinnes has been lucky, most of that dross had their contracts run out this year. I notice he hadn't done so well moving dross on that is still in contract.

Let's not get carried away here, he just let contracts run out. We didn't make any money back, no matter how small on any of them.

So many players were out of contract I don't think it's been so essential to sell. He was also pro-active in paying up the contracts of Lee Johnson and Nicky Hunt in January.

So many players were out of contract I don't think it's been so essential to sell. He was also pro-active in paying up the contracts of Lee Johnson and Nicky Hunt in January.

So expect to see Stewart gone in January?

Archived