IGNORED

The Future Is Bright..

Lew-T

I see comments flying from some reminding us that we are going to suffer from the usual City syndrome, i.e. we have a bit of success and all of a sudden, we are going to run away with the league.

To be fair, this is not unreasonable given the number of times that the City have flattered to deceive in the past however a little while back, the mighty GJ did bring some stability and sustained success to the club and eventually even the most skeptical joined the believers.

However, GJ's style and philosophy of hard work and motivation of players over and above their natural ability was only valid for a limited lifespan and to a certain level of football and eventually, it failed and the club was allowed to drift for way too long resulting in the stagnation that we all witnessed over the last 3 seasons...

Now however, I believe we have a very different era to look forward to. In DM, we have a manager who is a winner and a leader both on and off the pitch. He has played for one of the top clubs in the land and knows what is required to make a team both successful and most importantly consistent.

We have a manager who knows what he is doing and is building us back up into a proper football team again for the first time in a very long time with the right structure and expectation of the players. The foundations are being laid as we speak and, thanks to Sir Lansdown, we have added a few unexpected gems to the mix and whilst I do expect it will take a little time for DM to find his best 11 and for the team to settle once it does, I think we will be a potent force again in this division.

I don't know how long it will take to finish this seasons recruitment and in the process, the likes of Cardiff may indeed turn us over in the short term but even if they do, I am not bothered because I can see the bigger picture....

So the message is that even if we do suffer a few early defeats, it will not be the same old City burst bubble as when DM has finished building this years squad and has ironed out the kinks, WATCH OUT!

I think you're right.

People would do well to remind themselves of what we were hoping for some 3/4 weeks ago and that was to finish outside of the bottom three. I think everyone would agree that we should do that comfortably now, but it's important that the new loook team is given time to gel.

Things certainly look a lot brighter than I think I've ever seen.

Good post, Lew. I especially concur with your point about seeing the bigger picture. Much as there seems to be an immediate improvement from what we've seen for three years it is the long term effect of having Derek in charge that makes me excited.

The only downside to that is, I can't imagine he will be here as long as I hope. In my humble opinion, Derek has the ability to go very far in the game and that will probably not be with us forever. In the mean time I'm enjoying the ride and hoping that he falls in love with this club to the point he doesn't leave us in the future.

Buzzing for this afternoon!

• Admin

Johnson's best season performance was based on a group of fairly limited players achieving greater results than they should have through great team spirit and work ethic (whilst still being shit in the cups!)

McInnes appears to be putting together a squad with similar team spirit/work ethic but with better footballing skills man-for-man.

Good post, Lew. I especially concur with your point about seeing the bigger picture. Much as there seems to be an immediate improvement from what we've seen for three years it is the long term effect of having Derek in charge that makes me excited.

The only downside to that is, I can't imagine he will be here as long as I hope. In my humble opinion, Derek has the ability to go very far in the game and that will probably not be with us forever. In the mean time I'm enjoying the ride and hoping that he falls in love with this club to the point he doesn't leave us in the future.

Aye, he'll be poached or sacked. I would have thought that would have been the same outlook for any manager.

Have we had a manager retire? I'm struggling to think of one

He will have to do very well for us to get a better job in theory so that's good enough for me.

Everyone was saying at the end of last season we haven't got the funds to buy top players in this league etc, well so far we've made seven signings and each one of them in my opinion is a top signing.

Derek McInnes is the man to take this club into potential challengers for premier league football, he's that good.

Aye, he'll be poached or sacked. I would have thought that would have been the same outlook for any manager.

Have we had a manager retire? I'm struggling to think of one

I guess you're right, but this is the first time in a long time that I've genuinely feared our manager being snapped up by someone bigger or better than us. The fact Scottish managers are the 'in' thing at the moment doesn't help for me!

I suppose there is no point in worrying about it now though. He's still, to a degree, learning his trade and we'll have him for a little while yet.

The future is bright simply because the club finally employed decent manager who along with his staff have re-shaped virtually everything behind the scenes and brought in some new players who are adding to the quality at the squad.

Previous managers have not brought in the same quality. The best we saw was the odd high profile signing and then not used to their strengths. Now the real test is getting the best out of a good job done so far.

I guess you're right, but this is the first time in a long time that I've genuinely feared our manager being snapped up by someone bigger or better than us. The fact Scottish managers are the 'in' thing at the moment doesn't help for me!

I suppose there is no point in worrying about it now though. He's still, to a degree, learning his trade and we'll have him for a little while yet.

Ride the rollercoaster. I am hoping the football on display on Tuesday becomes the norm (clearly can't expect the same scoreline) there will be a lot less moaning from me if Del can get them playing that kind of football on a regular basis.

The future is bright simply because the club finally employed decent manager who along with his staff have re-shaped virtually everything behind the scenes and brought in some new players who are adding to the quality at the squad.

Previous managers have not brought in the same quality. The best we saw was the odd high profile signing and then not used to their strengths. Now the real test is getting the best out of a good job done so far.

I assume the previous managers you refer to are Coppell & Millen as we had a very good manager prior to Coppell least we forget.

Johnson's best season performance was based on a group of fairly limited players achieving greater results than they should have through great team spirit and work ethic (whilst still being shit in the cups!)

McInnes appears to be putting together a squad with similar team spirit/work ethic but with better footballing skills man-for-man.

Completely agree with this. Team spirit is key and add to that a bit of confidence and momentum like GJ got in the promotion and following playoff season then anything can happen. Definitely positive Del has us going in the right direction and is securing us long term not just with a short term fix. Just hope he stays along for the ride.

I assume the previous managers you refer to are Coppell & Millen as we had a very good manager prior to Coppell least we forget.

I'm not referring to any particular manager going back as much as you like. The history of poor and failed signings lies with many City managers.

Watching City on Tuesday night reminded me of the days of Danny Wilson which was the last time I felt City were heading in the right direction. Sadly for Wilson one serious selection mistake cost him his job, along with Lee Miller of course............... :facepalm:

I'm not referring to any particular manager going back as much as you like. The history of poor and failed signings lies with many City managers.

Watching City on Tuesday night reminded me of the days of Danny Wilson which was the last time I felt City were heading in the right direction. Sadly for Wilson one serious selection mistake cost him his job, along with Lee Miller of course............... :facepalm:

Wilson was good at generally getting the players with ability in but he allowed a culture off field to develop/continue that was detrimental to the club and along with rediculous selection in the playoff final cost him his job. Tinnion tried to sort this but lost the support of some players in the process and that ultimately failed him. Johnson made much more progress and was greeted with success, then in time that went sour as well.

Mcinness seems to have found a balance, he controls the players and brings players in with the right attitude, but also knows how to handle players who's attitude perhaps isn't the 100% blood and thunder, but who have the ability.

For me much as dels signings have been very good, his work behind the scenes has been what has impressed me the most. His staff appointments throughout the club from the acady up show he's building for the future and that is what we need. Johnson brought in a squad that for 2/3 years was bloody fantastic, but he left himself in a position where he would always have to buy, and it eventually started to go wrong, McIness is putting the foundations in place so he has a squad with depth and once he has his first team in place, the odd signing here and there will do, rather than wholesale changes every season.

The future for me is indeed bright.

Archived