IGNORED

City's Biggest Transfer Fees

Martyn Hocking

EP says this morning that Baldock is City's 5th million pound plus signing. Not 100% sure of the other four - I assume three of the others are Maynard, Ade Akinbye and Tony Thorpe, but who else - Soren Anderson?

Would be interested to see a list of our top10-20 most expensive signings and how well they performed for us, though I appreciate inflation and 'undisclosed fee' makes that tricky.

Anyone help me out?

EP says this morning that Baldock is City's 5th million pound plus signing. Not 100% sure of the other four - I assume three of the others are Maynard, Ade Akinbye and Tony Thorpe, but who else - Soren Anderson?

Would be interested to see a list of our top10-20 most expensive signings and how well they performed for us, though I appreciate inflation and 'undisclosed fee' makes that tricky.

Anyone help me out?

Lee Trundle

• Admin

On the flip side how many £1m+ sales have we had?

Akinbiyi £4m+ (after clauses)

Cotterill £2m

Maynard £1.65m (rising to £2m if West Ham stay up this season)

Cole £1.5m

Brennan £1.5m

Carle £1.2m

Lita £1m

Murray £1m (although waved a lot of this bringing him back)

On the flip side how many £1m+ sales have we had?

Akinbiyi £4m+ (after clauses)

Cotterill £2m

Maynard £1.65m (rising to £2m if West Ham stay up this season)

Cole £1.5m

Brennan £1.5m

Carle £1.2m

Lita £1m

Murray £1m (although waved a lot of this bringing him back)

Nick Carle? Did he go for a million?

• Admin

Now I saw that Andy Cole was in our team before to sign with Newcastle, and we paid for him about 1.35 million :D

My understanding of the Cole deal is that it was shambolic.

We bought him for £500k

We sold him for £1.5m

All good so far. However, Arsenal when selling him to us had the foresight to include a whopping 33% sell on clause (on any profit) making the profit for Arsenal at this stage £833k & for City £667k.

Cole then got sold to Man U for £7m (& Gillespie) so given we got stung by Arsenal for 33% at the time we sold him to Newcastle it was surely time to look at what our cut would be. No, our board forgot/didn't think it was worth putting a clause in!

Certainly our 5 million plus signings have been (in order):

Maynard, Baldock, Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Trundle.

Beyond that we paid £800k for Pitman, £750k for Davies and ahem, Styvar, £600k for Clarkson, beyond that we paid £550k for Carle, £500k for Sproule, Cole and Haynes and over £400k for Sebok, Torpey and Andersen.

That's 16, I have probably missed someone out but can't think of any more...

Beyond that we paid £800k for Pitman, £750k for Davies and ahem, Styvar, £600k for Clarkson, beyond that we paid £550k for Carle, £500k for Sproule, Cole and Haynes and over £400k for Sebok, Torpey and Andersen.

I thought styvar was around 250k, Pete Johnson alluded to this on a interview... Unless he was covering his back for a woeful bit of scouting.

Any idea what we paid for Stewart?

I thought styvar was around 250k, Pete Johnson alluded to this on a interview... Unless he was covering his back for a woeful bit of scouting.

Any idea what we paid for Stewart?

The fee banded around at the time for Styvar was between £600k and £750k.

Yes, he's in the top 20 as we paid £400k for Stewart, another spectacularly bad piece of business as we effectively got £100k for Bradley Orr as a result...

The fee banded around at the time for Styvar was between £600k and £750k.

Yes, he's in the top 20 as we paid £400k for Stewart, another spectacularly bad piece of business as we effectively got £100k for Bradley Orr as a result...

Ah it was gj who said we paid less

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-City-boss-Johnson-faith-striker-Styvar/story-11265030-detail/story.html

Still a lot though.

It seems to me. Most of our best bits of business come when signing left backs! We rarely get that wrong.

Too time-consuming to do this for all transfers, but I used a site that calculates 'real terms value' and applied it to the £275,000 we paid for Tony Fitzpatrick in 1979. That works out at just over £1m in today's money. He certainly didn't offer great value for money as I recall.

Anyone help me out?

Contrast those with Wedlock - Free, Atyeo - Free. When it comes to buying I think Mark Gavin was good value. Having bought him from Bolton in 86/87, in the Summer of 1990 we sold him to Watford for £100,000 plus Wayne Allison. December 1991, City bought Mark G back for just £65,000.

Lee Peacock - £600k

Unfortunately almost all our big signings have been financially a disaster:

Maynard cost 2.25 sold for 1.65, 600k loss (should have been big profit if sold b4 last season started though)

Trundle & Thorpe cost 1m left on frees, so 2m loss

Styvar & Peacock cost 600k left on frees, so 1.2m loss

Pitman bought for 800k, likely to sell for 400k maybe?

Only Akinbiyi made us money, bought for 1.2m sold for 3.5m.

Let's hope Baldock can join Akinbiyi in coming good for us!

Didn't we pay just £5k for Jamie McCombe from (I think) Lincoln? A spectacularly good signing & amazing VFM.

I agree that Walshy for £18k (99 goals, such a shame he never reached the ton) was also a fantastic signing but in terms of actual fee paid

surely Boom-Boom must've been the lowest paid out by us for quite some time. Both fantastic servants and not a bad word to be said against

either in BS3 I'd warrant.

Still basking in the glow of yesterday's result; great performance against the welshies COYR

:city: :city: :city:

Seems as if there was a pretty good profit made recently on Yannick...

Also, I don't see how you can say paying £1m for someone who then leaves for nothing is making a loss. You're not spending that money based on future profits made - you spend it based on their performances for us, and given how well and how many goals Tony Thorpe scored for us, I wouldn't call that a loss.

My understanding of the Cole deal is that it was shambolic.

We bought him for £500k

We sold him for £1.5m

All good so far. However, Arsenal when selling him to us had the foresight to include a whopping 33% sell on clause (on any profit) making the profit for Arsenal at this stage £833k & for City £667k.

Cole then got sold to Man U for £7m (& Gillespie) so given we got stung by Arsenal for 33% at the time we sold him to Newcastle it was surely time to look at what our cut would be. No, our board forgot/didn't think it was worth putting a clause in!

What use would, say, 20% of Gillespie be though?

Archived