IGNORED

Depth On The Wings

Always Believesham

Apologies for highlighting something that I've seen mentioned elsewhere - I haven't seen a central thread discussing what our options are.

We have Woolford, Anderson and Adomah as first teamers on the wings.

Having sold Bolasie, who else do we have that can play on the wing and offer the width? (ie. not a striker that can be thrust out there)

Are we up a well know creek without a paddle if Albert goes?

Even with three wingers it takes one to hit a rough spell or an injury for us to be sat quite precariously.

Please tell me I've missed someone glaring!

I agree foster and Pearson can play wide, but my reservations are that we look narrow when they're out there, as for davies, hopefully will look more comfortable if he does end up out wide at somepoint.

Haven't really seen Bryan since that Leicester game where he looked a prospect but never really got a chance.

Not ruling out moves for Woolford or even Anderson (it has been known) but Adomah looks the hardest to keep, should he leave I still believe a replacement would be needed (not overlooking the CB McInnes wants)

Firstly, I'm not saying that Albert will be definitely be staying but I would be very surprised if he went before tomorrow's deadline. Should Wigan or Swansea come with a silly offer, say £5m then obviously City couldn't turn that kind of money down.

Cover on the wings is thin. Only Albert, Anderson and Woolford could be described as out and out wide men and anyone else would simply be filling in and obviously thats not ideal.

That said wingers these days don't simply 'hug the touchline' as they used to.Nearly all of then tuck in when the opposition are in possession and utilise their pace to counter. Its pace that matters and City have pace in abundance with Baldock ,Pearson, Albert and Woolford and probably Anderson (although we haven't seen him yet) and that's not mentioning the full backs who are both fairly quick and can bomb forward.

• Admin

Firstly, I'm not saying that Albert will be definitely be staying but I would be very surprised if he went before tomorrow's deadline. Should Wigan or Swansea come with a silly offer, say £5m then obviously City couldn't turn that kind of money down.

Cover on the wings is thin. Only Albert, Anderson and Woolford could be described as out and out wide men and anyone else would simply be filling in and obviously thats not ideal.

That said wingers these days don't simply 'hug the touchline' as they used to.Nearly all of then tuck in when the opposition are in possession and utilise their pace to counter. Its pace that matters and City have pace in abundance with Baldock ,Pearson, Albert and Woolford and probably Anderson (although we haven't seen him yet) and that's not mentioning the full backs who are both fairly quick and can bomb forward.

We know from facing Forest in the past that Anderson certainly has pace.

I also think that given our start, even if we do receive a late bid for Albert, DMc would be able to convince him to wait until January and see where we are then. Although players want to ultimately play in the Prem, don't underestimate the draw of a possible promotion season (especially if Prem football followed that promotion) as these are the things I'd personally remember after my career was over.

We know from facing Forest in the past that Anderson certainly has pace.

I also think that given our start, even if we do receive a late bid for Albert, DMc would be able to convince him to wait until January and see where we are then. Although players want to ultimately play in the Prem, don't underestimate the draw of a possible promotion season (especially if Prem football followed that promotion) as these are the things I'd personally remember after my career was over.

I was surprised that Anderson was not on the bench Saturday, I would have thought if there was any thoughts in DMC's head that Albert might go, that he would want to keep Anderson as involved as possible.

Are we gambling another Maynard situation if a large bid was turned down?

Personally I'd value Albert at £2.5-3m but allsorts of factors would impact a selling price

I think its so late that the only bids would be over the top £4m & £5m+ to try and ensure the deal gets done, if a team needs a winger that badly whoever they are, they'll pay for Albert with his potential and already proven record.

• Admin

Are we gambling another Maynard situation if a large bid was turned down?

Personally I'd value Albert at £2.5-3m but allsorts of factors would impact a selling price

I think its so late that the only bids would be over the top £4m & £5m+ to try and ensure the deal gets done, if a team needs a winger that badly whoever they are, they'll pay for Albert with his potential and already proven record.

I see what you are saying but AA still has 2 years to go on his contract so the ball is more in our court. With one year left Maynard was still attracting bids ove £5m so if this season turns sour we could still expect to cash in on him next Summer (& I use the term Summer loosely given the weather we've had this year!)

I don't think numbers out wide are an issue at all. Albert, Anderson, Woolford are out-and-out wingers, Davies can play there and was signed as a winger by Derby. Foster, Pearson and Bryan can all do a job out wide in an injury crisis. I think that unless we've all misread the financial situation at City, we don't have the resources to carry another winger and give that Anderson couldn't even make the bench on Saturday, we'd be paying someone to sit in the stands. If we have a mega-injury crisis we can always look for a loan. If we continue to play well and are challenging in the top half, Premier League managers should be far more open to us loaning their top young talent than in recent years

Archived