IGNORED

Midfield Influence..... Game Changer....

Ricardo 'Livi' Red

Seen a couple of comments to highlight this..

And while on another day we possibly would have got something today, personally I think while we have made great strides with developing the squad we still haven't addressed the fact that we don't have the creativity from midfield.

The player to change the game, the player to create from the middle.

Often the case last season. And it will make the difference between winning or drawing games..

Just my opinion but it will also bring out the quality we have brought in..

Need the quality 'through ball'.. The vision to 'unlock a packed defence'..

I think we needed Morris today and had I been selecting the team today, I would have given him a chance ahead of Pearson in the middle.

Right, so you'd have changed the midfield from the one that beat Cardiff?

Seeing as the only change saw a player come in who scored and hit the post twice in his 25 minutes on the pitch, most would see that as justified but can't see why you'd have changed last week's midfield without the benefit of hindsight?

Right, so you'd have changed the midfield from the one that beat Cardiff?

Seeing as the only change saw a player come in who scored and hit the post twice in his 25 minutes on the pitch, most would see that as justified but can't see why you'd have changed last week's midfield without the benefit of hindsight?

Because Morris is better at keeping hold of the ball than Pearson, which was always going to be crucial away from home. He's also a more influential character for when we were under the cosh, which being away from home was always going to happen.

You change your side to match the game that you are playing. Pearson doesn't seem to be great at holding on to the ball and from listening to commentary today, gave it away a lot. From what I've heard from Saints fans about Morris, keeping the ball is his strength.

Away from home, a solid midfield of Morris and Skuse with Adomah and Woolford on the wings would have provided strength and ball retention through the middle, with pace and quality on the wings.

Pearson is a box to box, slight upgrade on Elliot, with a similar passing ability unfortunately.

All the current midfielders and the fullbacks are capable of playing that telling through ball. We saw Cunningham do exactly that against Cardiff but its not easy to do as it sounds.

The forward has to be aware the defence unaware to start with and how often do those two elements actually tie up? With an alert defence all they have to do is play the offside. Timing is crucial.

The difference can be a player running at the defence with the ball. We see it frequently in the PL. Drawing defenders to the ball player which creates space and Woolford in particular did it well against Palace and Cardiff. Not sure how much he did the same today.

It sounded as if City had loads of chances today particularly in the second half but came up against an on form keeper combined with some poor finishing.

Pearson for me should be on the bench, someone who we can bring on if needed. Unfortunately we dont have another centre midfielder who can start at the moment.

Pearson's either great or absent without leave.

Sounds like it was the latter today.

I agree with the OP that we need someone to distribute from midfield.

Because Morris is better at keeping hold of the ball than Pearson, which was always going to be crucial away from home. He's also a more influential character for when we were under the cosh, which being away from home was always going to happen.

You change your side to match the game that you are playing. Pearson doesn't seem to be great at holding on to the ball and from listening to commentary today, gave it away a lot. From what I've heard from Saints fans about Morris, keeping the ball is his strength.

Away from home, a solid midfield of Morris and Skuse with Adomah and Woolford on the wings would have provided strength and ball retention through the middle, with pace and quality on the wings.

Pearson is a box to box, slight upgrade on Elliot, with a similar passing ability unfortunately.

Imo we can't play morris in a midfield 2. He's great on the ball but won't get around the pitch as well as Skuse or Pearson. The only way we can play with him is in a midfield 3.

Totally agree, away from home ball retention is key as you need to frustrate as well as create.

Imo we can't play morris in a midfield 2. He's great on the ball but won't get around the pitch as well as Skuse or Pearson. The only way we can play with him is in a midfield 3.

He can tackle and pass the ball. We don't need two players who can run all day in a central two, we need at least one player who can be confident and comfortable on the ball. Skuse, Adomah and Woolford can provide movement whilst Morris calms things down and controls the ball.

Skuse was seeing a great deal of the ball today as we pushed forward, it would have been great to have seen what Morris could have done if he'd been out there pulling the strings.

I just watched the first half of Lorient v Nancy ligue 1 French game and before the season started Lorient signed a certain Ludovic Giuly and made him club captain, tonight having gained full fitness he is making his first full start of the season, yes he's 36 years old but my god this guy is still quality scored one and at the centre of every thing good that Lorient have created they 2-0 up and it could easily have been 4 or 5, the guy still has it in spades controls the game, picks out killer passes, always available in space and he is without doubt the sort of midfielder I would love to see in our midfield, we have too many work a day midfielders and still no real quality.

I just watched the first half of Lorient v Nancy ligue 1 French game and before the season started Lorient signed a certain Ludovic Giuly and made him club captain, tonight having gained full fitness he is making his first full start of the season, yes he's 36 years old but my god this guy is still quality scored one and at the centre of every thing good that Lorient have created they 2-0 up and it could easily have been 4 or 5, the guy still has it in spades controls the game, picks out killer passes, always available in space and he is without doubt the sort of midfielder I would love to see in our midfield, we have too many work a day midfielders and still no real quality.

Sounds a lot like Scholes at United. Age is just a number.

A creative midfielder was the least of our problems today - we got into some half decent areas.

There were numerous occasions where our strikers had the ball in the box and instead of trying to swivel and take a shot, they constantly tried to square it, lay it back or pick out someone else and course inevitably messing it up !!

The game was lost just after half time when McInnes brought on Elliott and changed the formation so that they had all the room in the World to pick out a cross and once we went behind, we realised we'd just taken off our only out and out winger.

Only boarder McInnes knows about is Hadrian's wall.

It sounded as if City had loads of chances today particularly in the second half but came up against an on form keeper combined with some poor finishing.

Not sure what was said in commentary but as far as I remember, we didn't really give their goalie THAT much to do. Cannot remember him making a "Wow" save ( whereas Heaton made 2, maybe 3)

Archived