IGNORED

Testemitanu Vs England

RobArnold10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19494837

Don't know if anybody else spotted this, but there's a bit of a feature about Testemitanu in the second half of this report, didn't realise he's still the only Moldovan to play over here! Quality player from my memory, heard some fun stories about him in his time. Glad to see he's made assistant manager, I believe he's considered to be a bit of a hero over there.

Something isn't right there. It says he was signed by Pulis in 98 - 1998 was the year we were promoted from the old Second Division to First Division under John Ward. Lennartsson took over later in 98, we got relegated in 99 and Pulis took over that summer. I also thought I remembered Testemitanu playing in our First Division campaign...

Something isn't right there. It says he was signed by Pulis in 98 - 1998 was the year we were promoted from the old Second Division to First Division under John Ward. Lennartsson took over later in 98, we got relegated in 99 and Pulis took over that summer. I also thought I remembered Testemitanu playing in our First Division campaign...

I had myself questioning that also. I think he signed under Benny but played a time under Pulis before he was moved on, he certainly signed for us when we were in the first division.

He was good; limited slightly but very commited & full-blooded in the challenge. Maybe scored just the one for us?

I also think (as above) that his (now?) ex-wife was a concert pianist & had her grand piano air freighted over when he signed. Also pretty sure his real name is Ion but we anglicised

it to Ivan at the time.

There's a pic of him in his City training kit in "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis" by Tony Hawks which a thoroughly good read if you ge the chance.

:city:

No he wasn't.

You're right, he wasn't. Anything but awful, actually. He had the misfortune to sustain a very bad knee injury at WBA, a game I saw, and that impacted heavily on his subsequent career with City. (I believe it may have been an ACL injury - he was out for a long time).

He was a ferocious tackler. I once saw him make a fifty-fifty challenge at AG. It would probably be illegal nowadays, as I think he may have gone in with two feet, but at the time the ref quite rightly gave no foul, as he took the ball cleanly and made absolutely no contact with the man. Despite that, however, the opponent was immediately taken off, hobbling, because of the sheer force of the challenge. He was totally fearless, which was partly why he got crocked.

We signed a few European players around that time. Soren Andersen and the Hungarian, Seebok, were among the others. They were pretty useful (internationals, all of them, I think) and Testimatanu (sp?) was at least the equal of the others.

I remember seeing him score his screamer up at Chesterfield!

Yes, a great goal but there were many attempts at similar that ended up in row Z. Thought he was ok but nothing special - the thing I liked most about him was his name. Seem to remember that the supply of a grand piano for his wife was part of his contract. Believe his was signed by Benny at around the same time as Seebok - now there was a player.

Great player for us under Benny. I liked his commitment and terrier like work rate so much I sponsored him for a season and got his signed shirt at the end of the season. Good team with plenty of movement and a joy to watch. Shame John W couldn't work with Benny - another Scott Davison cock up.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~2830795,00.html

Archived