IGNORED

Testemitanu Vs England

RobArnold10

Believe his was signed by Benny at around the same time as Seebok - now there was a player.

Sounds about right, he wasn't much of a goalscorer but boy he could put it about a bit, decent player too on the ball

Went to a game with a mate who was a 'Boro fan (Oxford away, IIRC) and he said "that lad your no 8 [ivan] is a bit useful"

Hard as nails, and a top bloke by all accounts

Oh, and I liked Sebok as well, Benny signed some real jewels, shame it didn't pan out

PS the book is superb

You're right, he wasn't. Anything but awful, actually. He had the misfortune to sustain a very bad knee injury at WBA, a game I saw, and that impacted heavily on his subsequent career with City. (I believe it may have been an ACL injury - he was out for a long time).

He was a ferocious tackler. I once saw him make a fifty-fifty challenge at AG. It would probably be illegal nowadays, as I think he may have gone in with two feet, but at the time the ref quite rightly gave no foul, as he took the ball cleanly and made absolutely no contact with the man. Despite that, however, the opponent was immediately taken off, hobbling, because of the sheer force of the challenge. He was totally fearless, which was partly why he got crocked.

We signed a few European players around that time. Soren Andersen and the Hungarian, Seebok, were among the others. They were pretty useful (internationals, all of them, I think) and Testimatanu (sp?) was at least the equal of the others.

Soren Andersen was quality! missed 2 days of college to goto Sunderland when he scored a late equaliser... awesome finish!

Am I the only person who paid for his name on my shirt (back in the days when I bought shirts)? At the price per letter and his double digit number for the Pulis season, that wasn't cheap (or smart). But at least I have an authentic Testimitanu shirt somewhere.

he was awful.

I don't know if you are just "WUMming", maybe you aren't old enough to have seen him play or if you are, you weren't old enough at the time to recognise a good player? Up until his career threatening injury he was very effective for us. He had a british midfield players graft mixed with a bit of european guile that set him apart. That injury was a shame for him, us and for Moldova as they were trying to build a team around him.

You're right, he wasn't. Anything but awful, actually. He had the misfortune to sustain a very bad knee injury at WBA, a game I saw, and that impacted heavily on his subsequent career with City. (I believe it may have been an ACL injury - he was out for a long time).

He was a ferocious tackler. I once saw him make a fifty-fifty challenge at AG. It would probably be illegal nowadays, as I think he may have gone in with two feet, but at the time the ref quite rightly gave no foul, as he took the ball cleanly and made absolutely no contact with the man. Despite that, however, the opponent was immediately taken off, hobbling, because of the sheer force of the challenge. He was totally fearless, which was partly why he got crocked.

We signed a few European players around that time. Soren Andersen and the Hungarian, Seebok, were among the others. They were pretty useful (internationals, all of them, I think) and Testimatanu (sp?) was at least the equal of the others.

Spot on...

In fact that season under Benny, with Testi, Soren and Seebok was one of my most enjoyable....even though we got relegated.

There was a great Spirit about the team, club and fans. One of the biggest 'What if's' for me, is if we had stayed up and kept Benny as manager...could have been fun.

another article here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/bristol-fashion-stunned-ivan-the-trailblazer-8113850.html

"For all that, Testemitanu has very fond memories of his time in England where, among others, he became friends with Tony Pulis who was appointed manager at Bristol City during that time. Testemitanu did part of his Uefa B licence at Stoke City.

"Tony helped me learn how to be a good coach," he said. Would Moldova be playing in a similar fashion to Stoke? "I think we are a little bit better. No long throws. We play by feet and not with hands."

great stick from Ivan

Spot on...

In fact that season under Benny, with Testi, Soren and Seebok was one of my most enjoyable....even though we got relegated.

There was a great Spirit about the team, club and fans. One of the biggest 'What if's' for me, is if we had stayed up and kept Benny as manager...could have been fun.

I'd add if we'd kept Benny on is also a what if.

Spot on...

Really? Each to their own, and I certainly rated Benny, but I mainly remember turgid draws with the likes of Bury and Tranmere and endless long balls up to Steve Torpey. It was pragmatism rather than Benny's choice I believe (unlike under Pulis) but I don't have especially happy memories of that time.

Really? Each to their own, and I certainly rated Benny, but I mainly remember turgid draws with the likes of Bury and Tranmere and endless long balls up to Steve Torpey. It was pragmatism rather than Benny's choice I believe (unlike under Pulis) but I don't have especially happy memories of that time.

Yes mate...each to their own of course.

I really appreciated Benny. He came here to work under a manager, and was then left in the shit. He wore his heart on his sleeve and you could see he was trying to do the right thing.

Many City fans love John Ward for getting us promotion....but i'm not a big fan.

Imho....he left us in the shit.

What pissed me off the most was when he used to walk among the fans shaking hands up the Williams.

So many fell for it....

That season when we went down was desperate...but their was definately a spirit amongst the players and fans.

I've not felt it since.

I really appreciated Benny. He came here to work under a manager, and was then left in the shit. He wore his heart on his sleeve and you could see he was trying to do the right thing.

Many City fans love John Ward for getting us promotion....but i'm not a big fan.

What pissed me off the most was when he used to walk among the fans shaking hands up the Williams.

So many fell for it....

That season when we went down was desperate...but their was definately a spirit amongst the players and fans.

I've not felt it since.

Got to agree, I remember that cap being thrown in the air. Benny bought in some real quality and mixed it with youth, unlike any manager since, he actually made use of our youth system. I would love to have seen just how many youth players may have made it if he was kept on.

I am still uncertain if he chose to leave or was pushed, but the poor bugger wasn't bought in to manage. A few more weeks to that season, I reckon he may have kept us up, he had those players working as a team come the end.

I'd have loved him back to head up our academy.

So many fell for it....

I've not felt it since.

here,here.

i was out the country for 4 months, when i left under ward we were dreadfull, when i came back they were much better.

here,here.

i was out the country for 4 months, when i left under ward we were dreadfull, when i came back they were much better.

we had a horrid kit when we went up under Ward, too

seriously, though, Benny got a raw deal, brought in as footie director and dumped with manager job...

Got to agree, I remember that cap being thrown in the air. Benny bought in some real quality and mixed it with youth, unlike any manager since, he actually made use of our youth system. I would love to have seen just how many youth players may have made it if he was kept on.

I am still uncertain if he chose to leave or was pushed, but the poor bugger wasn't bought in to manage. A few more weeks to that season, I reckon he may have kept us up, he had those players working as a team come the end.

I'd have loved him back to head up our academy.

I guess a lot won't agree but that season we played some of the most entertaining football I've witness and it's not often you would say well played, when we lost so often. I remember being in a pub in Wolverhampton after the game with their fans apologising they'd won (own goal, from back pass?).

Nostalgia, not what it used to be!

Archived