IGNORED

Downs League

Eco

Was jogging around the downs and noticed there were a few games on.

Was pleasantly surprised by the style of play and quality of the footy, considering the length of grass. Most teams tried to play the ball to feet, looking for angles etc, plenty of skilful play and not much hoof ball, which was what I'd been told Downs footy was all about.

No abuse given to ref's either, quite an uplifting experience.

Was pleasantly surprised by the style of play and quality of the footy, considering the length of grass. Most teams tried to play the ball to feet, looking for angles etc, plenty of skilful play and not much hoof ball, which was what I'd been told Downs footy was all about.

Downs league used to be really good, quite a few of the old city players came from there. Can't believe they used to get crowds sometimes up around the 5k mark back in the 50's my old man used to go on about it all the time. When city were away from home, loads of fans used to head up to the downs to watch a game.

I thought this was going to be thread about the gas, but you indicated the ball was played on the ground!

This is what i keep saying, the prem is not that far ahead of downs level football. It's just a myth perpetrated by the media to convince idiots to get sky packages.

I play 5-a-side, and there are loads of players who could easily play at prem level.

probably the most ludicrous post i have ever read

There are some very good players on the downs, mostly in Div 1 who could play at a higher level, if they so desired. I think it's the pitches up there that effects the standard rather than the players themselves.

There are some very good players on the downs, mostly in Div 1 who could play at a higher level, if they so desired. I think it's the pitches up there that effects the standard rather than the players themselves.

That Jamaican guy called Key Roy. Everton tried to sign him and Real Madrid scouts were watching him. But he turned them down because he doesn't have a passport or NI number. Another guy called Chris Jacobs, played for Wolves but got sacked for smoking a joint in the dressing room at half time. Another guy called Justine is a really flamboyant out and proud gay man. He's had loads of offers from top clubs but refuses to sign because he reckons pro football is in the dark ages with regards homophobist attitudes. Loads of guys like that on the downs. Don't be so quick to slag it off.

That Jamaican guy called Key Roy. Everton tried to sign him and Real Madrid scouts were watching him. But he turned them down because he doesn't have a passport or NI number. Another guy called Chris Jacobs, played for Wolves but got sacked for smoking a joint in the dressing room at half time. Another guy called Justine is a really flamboyant out and proud gay man. He's had loads of offers from top clubs but refuses to sign because he reckons pro football is in the dark ages with regards homophobist attitudes. Loads of guys like that on the downs. Don't be so quick to slag it off.

I love this forum sometimes.

Snarf you are hilarious!

Skilful, ball to feet, looking for angles...you must not have been watching me then

Just what I was thinking. I haven't played for over 30 years, so I suppose things may have changed beyond all recognition in three decades. In fact, they would have to have done, because I played Downs League football for a number of seasons and never saw much that conformed to the description in the OP. I live near the Downs now and occasionally stroll past when games are in progress. I have been appalled at the standard I've seen and have asked myself the question "Was I really this bad?" - to which the answer, sadly, would appear to be "Yes". Oh dear.

Just what I was thinking. I haven't played for over 30 years, so I suppose things may have changed beyond all recognition in three decades. In fact, they would have to have done, because I played Downs League football for a number of seasons and never saw much that conformed to the description in the OP. I live near the Downs now and occasionally stroll past when games are in progress. I have been appalled at the standard I've seen and have asked myself the question "Was I really this bad?" - to which the answer, sadly, would appear to be "Yes". Oh dear.

I have played on the downs for 20 years now. The standard is certainly variable. The pitches are mostly atrocious - the one I played on Saturday was literally like a cow field. This is the main reason why games can be terrible to play in, that and the wind coming in off the Severn and the the fact that an awful lot of the players can't play football.

My side Cotswool had a purple patch maybe 5 years ago winning the league in consecutive seasons. We had 4 or 5 outstanding players (I am not one BTW) who could have comfortably played at a semi professional level. They didn't because they enjoyed playing with their mates, wanted to treat their football as a pastime and didn't need the extra money and commitment.

What I love about it is the fact that it is competitive but played in a spirit you don't get in other leagues. Games are hard fought but because you play at the same venue each week the banter between sides is a weekly feature and develops. Sides with the wrong attitude don't seem to last very long even if they are good.

My experience of playing away in GFA cup games has mostly been of the opposition attempting to intimidate us and the referee which made the whole experience tiresome and left us looking forward to playing on a pitch on a hill in the rain and gale with a half mile walk back to the changing room.

I have played on the downs for 20 years now. The standard is certainly variable. The pitches are mostly atrocious - the one I played on Saturday was literally like a cow field. This is the main reason why games can be terrible to play in, that and the wind coming in off the Severn and the the fact that an awful lot of the players can't play football.

My side Cotswool had a purple patch maybe 5 years ago winning the league in consecutive seasons. We had 4 or 5 outstanding players (I am not one BTW) who could have comfortably played at a semi professional level. They didn't because they enjoyed playing with their mates, wanted to treat their football as a pastime and didn't need the extra money and commitment.

What I love about it is the fact that it is competitive but played in a spirit you don't get in other leagues. Games are hard fought but because you play at the same venue each week the banter between sides is a weekly feature and develops. Sides with the wrong attitude don't seem to last very long even if they are good.

My experience of playing away in GFA cup games has mostly been of the opposition attempting to intimidate us and the referee which made the whole experience tiresome and left us looking forward to playing on a pitch on a hill in the rain and gale with a half mile walk back to the changing room.

That all sounds very familiar, despite the years that have passed since I played. So maybe not so much has changed, after all? Reading that made me feel quite nostalgic. Nice to know that unique Downs League spirit still exists. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

CC

On a bit of a tangent here, does anyone know why the downs league broke away from the football pyramid? Up until 2009 (I think?) the bottom downs league was the lowest theoretical league you could be promoted from to get all the way to the premier league. Now the downs is a closed shop according to the FA. Why is this?

With the Downs it was always a theoretical pyramid. Sides have simply applied to other leagues whether they are good or hopeless. What matters more is if they have their own pitch and can show they are solvent. The divisions on the Downs have their own equivalents in the Bristol and District and Suburban Leagues. Some sides I've played from these leagues were as bad if not worse than the worst on the Downs.

And that is bad.

Goalkeeper Tony Cook was spotted playing in the Downs League. City signed himand Tony helped us to promotion in the fifties.

In the mid 70s I had a job working until 2.00pm every other Saturday. This meant when walking home I passed the pitch Lockleaze CA used. One season theyscored an average of six goals per game and conceded, againon average, one goal every two games. End of the season they were promoted two divisions because the league felt it would be meaningless to only promote them to the next division up.. Does local football permit such a thing these days?

Archived