IGNORED

Potential Mayor Stadium Posistion

Barrs Court Red

The candidates have had their say

Speaking about new stadiums for City and Rovers, Mr Rees said: "If elected, I will use the powers of the mayor's office to push through the building of Premier League stadiums for these clubs. It is time for 'can do' thinking. Premier League football facilities are a component of a successful city."

Mr Rees said city authorities all over the world have backed iconic, viable sporting and cultural amenities.

"But here in Bristol, we seem stuck in circular arguments," he said.

"Members of the Bristol public have looked on, bemused, as time after time the new facilities we need have failed to materialise.

"The mayor must give a lead to make sure real change happens. All these facilities have been planned and costed and are viable – they just need leadership and political will."

Bristol City's hopes of a new £92 million stadium at Ashton Vale have been dogged by a dispute and legal wrangling for several years.

Bristol Rovers have won planning permission to go ahead with their new £40 million stadium on Bristol UWE land near the MoD procurement base at Abbeywood.

But construction work cannot go ahead unless permission is granted for a supermarket to be built at the club's current ground in Horfield. Councillors are expected to consider the scheme in October.

Mr Rees said: "The football stadiums have been stalled and denied unnecessarily for long enough.

"We just need some political will to make these stadiums happen and to ensure we get past planning delays."

Other candidates in the election have also backed the arena and new homes for Rovers and City.

Independent George Ferguson said: "I welcome Marvin's support for my initiative. I have been advocating a city-centre arena as an essential part of the Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone."

He said he was "strongly in favour" of both stadium plans.

Liberal Democrat Jon Rogers said: "I want to see two world class stadiums and an arena in Bristol. They will bring investment, jobs and raise the city profile."

Independent Eric Mutch said: "Having an arena of national importance would be brilliant in Bristol.

"There are tricky issues to do with moving football stadiums."

Conservative Geoff Gollop said: "It's a disgrace we have not got an arena – we are one of few major UK cities which doesn't have that level of venue.Bristol needs quality sporting venues. "

Green Daniella Radice said: "I recognise that Bristol needs new football stadia but it is time for a more imaginative response to the issue. Why can't the teams pool resources and share a ground?

"I also support building a new arena. "

Independent Tim Collins said: "I support both clubs' applications for new stadiums. With the arena at Temple Quarter, I would like to see a new ice skating venue incorporated into the plans."

Respect candidate Neil Maggs said: "I am totally, 100 per cent in favour of an arena at the site next to Temple Meads.

"In terms of the football, I support Rovers' application but I would object to a City stadium in Ashton Vale, which should have protected green status."

So the heavy wieghts want to see it happen, unsurprisingly the Green candidate hasn't got a clue.

*Edit

Would some lovely mod fix my title spelling mistake. Ta

The candidates have had their say

Speaking about new stadiums for City and Rovers, Mr Rees said: "If elected, I will use the powers of the mayor's office to push through the building of Premier League stadiums for these clubs. It is time for 'can do' thinking. Premier League football facilities are a component of a successful city."

Mr Rees said city authorities all over the world have backed iconic, viable sporting and cultural amenities.

"But here in Bristol, we seem stuck in circular arguments," he said.

"Members of the Bristol public have looked on, bemused, as time after time the new facilities we need have failed to materialise.

"The mayor must give a lead to make sure real change happens. All these facilities have been planned and costed and are viable – they just need leadership and political will."

Bristol City's hopes of a new £92 million stadium at Ashton Vale have been dogged by a dispute and legal wrangling for several years.

Bristol Rovers have won planning permission to go ahead with their new £40 million stadium on Bristol UWE land near the MoD procurement base at Abbeywood.

But construction work cannot go ahead unless permission is granted for a supermarket to be built at the club's current ground in Horfield. Councillors are expected to consider the scheme in October.

Mr Rees said: "The football stadiums have been stalled and denied unnecessarily for long enough.

"We just need some political will to make these stadiums happen and to ensure we get past planning delays."

Other candidates in the election have also backed the arena and new homes for Rovers and City.

Independent George Ferguson said: "I welcome Marvin's support for my initiative. I have been advocating a city-centre arena as an essential part of the Temple Quarter Enterprise Zone."

He said he was "strongly in favour" of both stadium plans.

Liberal Democrat Jon Rogers said: "I want to see two world class stadiums and an arena in Bristol. They will bring investment, jobs and raise the city profile."

Independent Eric Mutch said: "Having an arena of national importance would be brilliant in Bristol.

"There are tricky issues to do with moving football stadiums."

Conservative Geoff Gollop said: "It's a disgrace we have not got an arena – we are one of few major UK cities which doesn't have that level of venue.Bristol needs quality sporting venues. "

Green Daniella Radice said: "I recognise that Bristol needs new football stadia but it is time for a more imaginative response to the issue. Why can't the teams pool resources and share a ground?

"I also support building a new arena. "

Independent Tim Collins said: "I support both clubs' applications for new stadiums. With the arena at Temple Quarter, I would like to see a new ice skating venue incorporated into the plans."

Respect candidate Neil Maggs said: "I am totally, 100 per cent in favour of an arena at the site next to Temple Meads.

"In terms of the football, I support Rovers' application but I would object to a City stadium in Ashton Vale, which should have protected green status."

So the heavy wieghts want to see it happen, unsurprisingly the Green candidate hasn't got a clue.

*Edit

Would some lovely mod fix my title spelling mistake. Ta

So bollox to Neil Maggs then!

Interesting nobody has picked up on GF positive response for our stadium.

Are they all saying this to win votes though?

Hasn't his opposition all along , been to Sainsbury's building on AG rather than the new stadium?

Crafty git that he is , he knows we can't build AV without Sainsburys so he can say he is favour of the stadium and all the while campaign against Sainsbury's.

BTW , 66 guests are reading this subject !!!!!!

the mayor won't be able to do too much with our new ground as a=everything has already been agreed and signed off its the tvg holding it up and unfortuantly the only way i can see this moving now is if the home office or downing street get involved,

Its gone way beyond local govenment now

Hasn't his opposition all along , been to Sainsbury's building on AG rather than the new stadium?

Crafty git that he is , he knows we can't build AV without Sainsburys so he can say he is favour of the stadium and all the while campaign against Sainsbury's.

GF wants the new stadium there is no doubting that what he doesn't want is the new supermarket that goes with this as it will take customers away from his empire in "souttville"

Yes, although since the planning decision he accepted it and moved on. Unlike the village green lot who can't accept any decision against them.

the mayor won't be able to do too much with our new ground as a=everything has already been agreed and signed off its the tvg holding it up and unfortuantly the only way i can see this moving now is if the home office or downing street get involved,

Its gone way beyond local govenment now

Except planning applications will need renewing by the time this saga ends, no?

The enquiry will start October so by the time it needs ratifying the Mayor will be in office so he will have a say

The council will go exactly with the recommendation of the enquiry.

The majority say they support new stadiums, but they didn't say they support them at the PROPOSED sites.

Their statements allow them to easily back out of their statements if they get elected.

Maybe they should make a statement along the lines of "I fully support the building of a new stadium at Ashton Vale and the proposed sale of Ashton Gate to be redeveloped by Sainsbury...."............something a little more watertight !!

Beware of being mislead by Ferguson, he has always said he is in favour of the stadium but against Sainsbury's, fully aware of the fact that you can't have a stadium without Sainsbury's, devious ****

Archived