IGNORED

Potential Mayor Stadium Posistion

Barrs Court Red

Over the years many have advocated a arena near cribbs or at Filton.

Makes perfect sense, parkway is near, m4 an m5. Now they have the road links and a massive gert. Runway to build on, I can't think of a better place in the whole of bristol and greater bristol to build an arena. It would be pretty stupid to put it anywhere else.

Temple meads ticks the same boxes but more adequately serves the whole of Bristol. Filton is a nightmare

Temple meads ticks 1 box it has a train station. If you have thousands coming to a concert, the centre of bristol would be screwed. Terrible place to have it in terms of infrastructure in getting to the place.

Now if the council completely changed the roads in the centre of bristol, then it may be okay. But as it stands it would be awful

Temple meads ticks 1 box it has a train station. If you have thousands coming to a concert, the centre of bristol would be screwed. Terrible place to have it in terms of infrastructure in getting to the place.

Now if the council completely changed the roads in the centre of bristol, then it may be okay. But as it stands it would be awful

They could have a nice park and ride from long Ashton/Avonmouth park and ride, if only they'd not ripped up the old docks railway line. Worst move ever

Rubbish. The roads are more than able to cope with events like the harbour festival, which bring in 10x the crowds.

so Neil Maggs is happy for a war memorial to be bulldozed for a supermarket but not happy for a former landfill site to be built on??

Maggs was at the TVG Radio Bristol debate wearing his city shirt, I take it that means he's a city supporter. The thing is, he openly campained against the new stadium and spoke/shouted his opposition at that debate, so he'll get some support from a few city fans but he does seem to have shot himself in the foot..

Temple meads ticks the same boxes but more adequately serves the whole of Bristol. Filton is a nightmare

Agree . It's a nightmare getting to the North of Bristol from South Bristol. Next to temple meads is perfect . Road, Rail and buses it's easy to get to and before and after the concert there are plenty of places to go for a drink or a meal not stuck in a car park miles from anywhere .

Temple meads very easy access to the M32 Dual carriage way all the way from the M4 to Temple meads. Easy access to Bath and the A4 and A37 . Plenty of car parks near by .

Buses run past temple meads from all over Bristol including Park and Rides and Airport buses.

One of the major railway station in the country so rail would be an ideal to access this site using the train .

Cardiff , Manchester , Liverpool , Newcastle to name four all have arenas in the Centre of their Cities.

The problem with Bristol compared with those cities (and this is a massive assumption) is that a) those cities have had a massive wedge spent on them by government b) don't have competing urban areas right on their border, so the pot is never as big. Hence why they have these shiny facilities, yet are nowhere near as affluent.

The problem with Bristol compared with those cities (and this is a massive assumption) is that a) those cities have had a massive wedge spent on them by government b) don't have competing urban areas right on their border, so the pot is never as big. Hence why they have these shiny facilities, yet are nowhere near as affluent.

Very true Bars court . That is why a new Mayor is very very important to speak up for Bristol at National level.

Will you gotta think that Marvin Rees is overwhelming fav with his "living wage" promise.

Would that be like the minimum wage, which when introduced, benefitted 1million people overnight but, in the ensuing years had the effect of lowering 3million workers wages down to the minimum wage, with any new employment created, offered at the rate of the minimum wage?.

Has anyone thought what this would cost the ratepayers of Bristol?

Firstly the wage bill of Bristol would increase, then the wage bill of contractors supplying services to Bristol would increase, so the service price would also increase, which would then obviously be passed on to the ratepayers of Bristol again. Good thought out policy?

I'm not against a living wage, I'd like one myself. I'd rather see someone providing the foundations to get more employment of a higher standard with higher wages. Then we'd have a situation where wages across the board would rise, or poorly paid positions would remain unfilled.

Would that be like the minimum wage, which when introduced, benefitted 1million people overnight but, in the ensuing years had the effect of lowering 3million workers wages down to the minimum wage, with any new employment created, offered at the rate of the minimum wage?.

Has anyone thought what this would cost the ratepayers of Bristol?

Firstly the wage bill of Bristol would increase, then the wage bill of contractors supplying services to Bristol would increase, so the service price would also increase, which would then obviously be passed on to the ratepayers of Bristol again. Good thought out policy?

I'm not against a living wage, I'd like one myself. I'd rather see someone providing the foundations to get more employment of a higher standard with higher wages. Then we'd have a situation where wages across the board would rise, or poorly paid positions would remain unfilled.

The minimum wage was the best thing the last Labour government did . A find it very differcult for people to argue against such a decent and right law by protecting low income families and stopping exploration , even the USA as a minimum wage for crying out loud . You gave some spurious statement with no based in fact for you argument which quite frankly don't add up . The same argument the Tories gave nearly 40 years ago when the Labour Government of the day brought in the equal pay act for women .

There is know doubt the minimum wage is a good thing and the living wage is even better . Just maybe giving more money to the lowest paid they may go out and spend and thus helping the economy grew and get the country coming out if recccesion .

The minimum wage was the best thing the last Labour government did . A find it very differcult for people to argue against such a decent and right law by protecting low income families and stopping exploration , even the USA as a minimum wage for crying out loud . You gave some spurious statement with no based in fact for you argument which quite frankly don't add up . The same argument the Tories gave nearly 40 years ago when the Labour Government of the day brought in the equal pay act for women .

There is know doubt the minimum wage is a good thing and the living wage is even better . Just maybe giving more money to the lowest paid they may go out and spend and thus helping the economy grew and get the country coming out if recccesion .

I don't have a problem with the minimum wage or a living wage and I certainly won't argue against legislation to protect workers and their rights. I have a problem with the greedy employers using the minimum wage to reduce all other wages closer to it. I'll give you an example of what I mean. My brother was employed by Tesco as a fish counter worker, he was paid £6.80 per hour, the minimum wage was at £5.22 (I think). He then leaft his job, his position was then advertised at £5.22 per hour, not the previous rate of £6.80, so who benefitted by the minimum wage then?

You have made claims that my arguments don't add up. I admit they are based on what I have read and learnt over a period of time, which is a generalisation of what I have based my opinions and statements on. I think it is well documented that the number of people now working to the minimum wage or close to it has increased. The number of workers on the minimum wage doubled in the eight years since it's introduction. Now that's not more people that were found to be being paid lower than the rate, that's new jobs where people are now being paid the minimum wage. Of course that does not include the many more who have seen their wages slowly reduced or caught up by increases in the minimum wage. So ask them if the introduction of the minimum wage was good for them.

Please elaborate on what parts of my argument don't add up, in your opinion.

While we're at it, when the equal pay thing was brought in, lot's of women were working to earn extra money for holidays, or a washing machine, or any other little luxury. Somehow the people running our businesses have now nearly wiped those benefits out and the extra money now earned by those working women, is now essential for survival. It's the greedy bastards paying the wages that call the shots, it seems as though they just reduced the mans wage over a period of time to pay for the womens pay, much the same way as lowering workers pay to increase other workers pay for the minimum wage. In my opinion.

I'I'd rather see someone providing the foundations to get more employment of a higher standard with higher wages. Then we'd have a situation where wages across the board would rise, or poorly paid positions would remain unfilled.

I don't accept those figures where is that source from .

Decent employers would pay a living wage and I'm sure council services by outside contractors would not charge anymore.

The council should pay all their staff a living wage and set an example, I don't want a person working on my behalf being paid poverty wages.

They is always going to be important menial jobs which not many people choose to do , which deserve a living wage.

I don't accept those figures where is that source from .

Decent employers would pay a living wage and I'm sure council services by outside contractors would not charge anymore.

The council should pay all their staff a living wage and set an example, I don't want a person working on my behalf being paid poverty wages.

They is always going to be important menial jobs which not many people choose to do , which deserve a living wage.

You have just quoted from my first post, in my second post, it elaborates a bit more. If you want the figures, google workers on minimum wage and the figures will be there for your digestion.

As for the council rates increasing to pay for the living wage, if they do not increase because of the increase in wages, then some other council service would need to be cut, so there is bound to be a financial effect either way.

Do you really think that companies providing services to the city council, will happily increase their pay rates to employees, without then passing that extra expense on to their customers?.

As I have said before but you seem to choose to ignore, I am very much for protecting workers pay and rights but, I am also not stupid enough to think that wages can just rise without having a negative effect elsewhere. While every decision is made financially, to impress shareholders and by that I include anyone that has a pension, then wages and costs will always be kept low. That's the only reason we've had mass immigration, in order to keep the costs of labour low, that also was a policy of the last labour government.

Anyway, who would you like to be mayor?

Temple meads very easy access to the M32 Dual carriage way all the way from the M4 to Temple meads. Easy access to Bath and the A4 and A37 . Plenty of car parks near by .

Buses run past temple meads from all over Bristol including Park and Rides and Airport buses.

One of the major railway station in the country so rail would be an ideal to access this site using the train .

Cardiff , Manchester , Liverpool , Newcastle to name four all have arenas in the Centre of their Cities.

But i am sure the existing blue print for our NEW Stadium will NOT fit on the land at Temple Meads :fastasleep:

Archived