IGNORED

Alan Walsh Rovers Under 18 Coach

Super

That's simply not true as anybody who actually reads what I post will know. I'll happily argue my point and if I criticise I do it constructively. However if you don't like the content, you're more than welcome not to read.

What I was actually doing was pointing out that the criticism of City's youth development screech made in favour of Rovers' was wrong.

Some of your facts are completely wrong. Cureton, Ellington, Roberts - none of these were developed by Rovers. They all signed from other clubs after 18.

I'm not sure what relevance to current youth development going back 30 - 60 years has at all. Ray Mabbut started his career in the 50s for crying out loud.

If you look at professional footballers currently playing, you will find that those who came through the youth system at City vastly outnumber those who came through Rovers. That flies in the face of the idea that Rovers do better developing youth than us. That's a myth and always has been.

What they do do better is pick players out of non-league.

Looking at your list the only player Rovers developed through the Youth setup was Marcus Stewart. Cureton came through th Norwich setup at the same time as Akinbiyi. Roberts came through the Wolves setup and Ellington came from Non-league.

I will agree that Rovers have been clever with their scouting prior to the last five years anyway.

That's simply not true as anybody who actually reads what I post will know. I'll happily argue my point and if I criticise I do it constructively. However if you don't like the content, you're more than welcome not to read.

What I was actually doing was pointing out that the criticism of City's youth development screech made in favour of Rovers' was wrong.

Some of your facts are completely wrong. Cureton, Ellington, Roberts - none of these were developed by Rovers. They all signed from other clubs after 18.

I'm not sure what relevance to current youth development going back 30 - 60 years has at all. Ray Mabbut started his career in the 50s for crying out loud.

If you look at professional footballers currently playing, you will find that those who came through the youth system at City vastly outnumber those who came through Rovers. That flies in the face of the idea that Rovers do better developing youth than us. That's a myth and always has been.

What they do do better is pick players out of non-league.

Perhaps had I started and stopped at the Sinclair point you would have noted your previous remark as factually inaccurate but, then again, your reply to that paragraph suggests you probably would have countenanced my remark in some non-related way to avoid accepting you were wrong as you have so proved in the same reply !!!!!

Noted on your other remarks; I should have read every single thread from start to finish, however, I do not think this thread is talking solely about 'THE ACADEMY' of Rovers. So my point about Rovers developing and nurturing players at whatever age and then going on to better things is important in the context of your condemnation of their, words to the effect, 'worse than useless youth development system'. In short, you cannot just say Rovers are useless at developing youngsters and in any case Sinclair is an example of that in which you incorrectly refuted.

So, please note that you do come across as condescending and recall I said at times not always. Nothing to dispute there because it is how I and others see it and you cannot persuade me otherwise. On other occasions you put a good argument.

As for Ray Mabbutt... I also did not know we were talking about a certain defined time period; I used that example, slightly sardonically, because you made the point of 'not recalling the last time they produced a successful youngster'. Perhaps as a later poster has said that was factually incorrect but at least one of those I mentioned is not, and that is the point.

Used to it now, he's been there since 2010. Long story about being at City but he simply didn't settle and loved it at Rovers. Was offered a contract from both clubs and Southampton but he wanted to stay at Rovers despite being die hard city and season ticket holders. Southampton was quality but simply I couldn't committ due to my work.

The difficutly I got is getting him from the car to the front door and visa versa in his kit without everyone seeing...we live in Ashton Vale!!!! Only had one incident from a chav but I soon nipped that in the bud!

MM

Fair play. Gotta do whats best for the lad. Just so long as he doesnt join in with any rovers songs.

Perhaps had I started and stopped at the Sinclair point you would have noted your previous remark as factually inaccurate but, then again, your reply to that paragraph suggests you probably would have countenanced my remark in some non-related way to avoid accepting you were wrong as you have so proved in the same reply !!!!!

What was factually inaccurate exactly? I said I didn't give them much credit for Sinclair since he left them at 16. I'd say that being at Chelsea and Swansea probably helped him a great deal more than a couple of years as a schoolkid at Rovers. If you disagree that's fine, it's called an opinion.

Noted on your other remarks; I should have read every single thread from start to finish, however, I do not think this thread is talking solely about 'THE ACADEMY' of Rovers. So my point about Rovers developing and nurturing players at whatever age and then going on to better things is important in the context of your condemnation of their, words to the effect, 'worse than useless youth development system'. In short, you cannot just say Rovers are useless at developing youngsters and in any case Sinclair is an example of that in which you incorrectly refuted.

I didn't say or imply anything of the sort. What on earth do you think you read?!

So, please note that you do come across as condescending and recall I said at times not always. Nothing to dispute there because it is how I and others see it and you cannot persuade me otherwise. On other occasions you put a good argument.

I'm sure it's easy for you to misread my tone as condescending when you appear to be reading some other post that I didn't actually make.

As for Ray Mabbutt... I also did not know we were talking about a certain defined time period; I used that example, slightly sardonically, because you made the point of 'not recalling the last time they produced a successful youngster'. Perhaps as a later poster has said that was factually incorrect but at least one of those I mentioned is not, and that is the point.

Since the whole context was a lad who's currently at Rovers I'd have thought it self evident that how players were developed 60 years ago was completely irrelevant but each to their own. I didn't say anything about "not recalling the last time they produced a successful youngster", what I said was I can only think of one current professional other than Sinclair currently playing who's come through their youth system, and many many more than have come through ours. Even if I had, needing to cite several incorrect examples and go back 60 years to find one they did actually develop could be seen as supporting my point don't you think?

Do you actually disagree with my opinion that City's youth development whilst poor is more successful than Rovers? I'd be interested to hear why if you do. Or were you just trying to have a random argument about things I didn't post?

I'd say that being at Chelsea and Swansea probably helped him a great deal more than a couple of years as a schoolkid at Rovers.

Makes you wonder what might have come of the likes of Marvin Brown and Dwayne & Tristan Plummer if they'd been picked up by a big club aged 16 instead of being allowed to think they'd already made it in Bristol.

Finding a talented kid probably isn't that tricky. Turning him into a senior footballer is and neither Bristol club has a great record of that. City's recent record is better than Rovers' if anything.

What was factually inaccurate exactly? I said I didn't give them much credit for Sinclair since he left them at 16. I'd say that being at Chelsea and Swansea probably helped him a great deal more than a couple of years as a schoolkid at Rovers. If you disagree that's fine, it's called an opinion.

--HE JOINED AT 7 AND LEFT AT 16... by my reckoning that is not 2 years, therefore, not an opinion. --

I didn't say or imply anything of the sort. What on earth do you think you read?!

I'm sure it's easy for you to misread my tone as condescending when you appear to be reading some other post that I didn't actually make.

Since the whole context was a lad who's currently at Rovers I'd have thought it self evident that how players were developed 60 years ago was completely irrelevant but each to their own. I didn't say anything about "not recalling the last time they produced a successful youngster", what I said was I can only think of one current professional other than Sinclair currently playing who's come through their youth system, and many many more than have come through ours. Even if I had, needing to cite several incorrect examples and go back 60 years to find one they did actually develop could be seen as supporting my point don't you think?

Do you actually disagree with my opinion that City's youth development whilst poor is more successful than Rovers? I'd be interested to hear why if you do. Or were you just trying to have a random argument about things I didn't post?

As for the rest I'll just say it has, once again, a fair dose of condescending remarks so not really worth the time of day replying to other than to say I am in no position to say whether City or Rovers academy's are better or worse than the other.

--HE JOINED AT 7 AND LEFT AT 16... by my reckoning that is not 2 years, therefore, not an opinion. --

But what was it about the post before that you were actually referring to which was factually incorrect though?

Anyway, he "joined" at 9, and as you can see from another poster he was playing for other sides. I don't think having a kick about for an hour every couple of weeks is really youth development and it wouldn't have been more than that until 12-14.

I stand by the opinion that I don't think Rovers can take much credit for his development having left at 16. And the only other current professional I can think of they've brought through was Rigg. Can you think of any others?

As for the rest I'll just say it has, once again, a fair dose of condescending remarks so not really worth the time of day replying to other than to say I am in no position to say whether City or Rovers academy's are better or worse than the other.

It's called responding in kind. So I'll take that as a no, and point out that all you've done in this thread, that you now say you're not in a position to have an opinion on, is to have a pop at me for defending the club you support by making a few snipey remarks, posting an inaccurate list of players Rovers didn't develop and now flouncing out when asked to actually express and justify an opinion. Well done you.

Archived