IGNORED

Anyone Still Optimistic?

You Do The Dziekanowski

After watching the game i do feel that there are a lot of positives to be taken, we kept the ball well, finished are chances and i feel that Blackburn got a bit licky at times when the ball just fell to them at the right time. As long as we play like this most weeks we can comfortably compete in every game. We gave them 3 goals through sloppy defending once this is sorted we will be a good team.

I thought Blackburn looked like a Prem side today. There was a bit of gulf in general play. All the Blackburn players were very comfortable on the ball and played it around nicely. City though, are undoubtedly much better than last year. Clearly we lack a leader in defence and for me, we've got to go with Davies and Baldock from now on, as Taylor and Stead simply didn't threaten enough.

I thought Blackburn looked like a Prem side today. There was a bit of gulf in general play. All the Blackburn players were very comfortable on the ball and played it around nicely. City though, are undoubtedly much better than last year. Clearly we lack a leader in defence and for me, we've got to go with Davies and Baldock from now on, as Taylor and Stead simply didn't threaten enough.

I personally see Taylor as the ideal partner for Baldock. His hold up play is exceptional. Probably the best close control from a 'target man' I've seen at AG since Brooker in league 1... Davies I'm still not sold on, but he's had no real game time to properly judge.

I've noticed that in the last two games at AG that the substitution of Taylor has coincided with the opposition having a lot more possession and building pressure from deep. I think he will prove himself to be an invaluable player this season.

I personally see Taylor as the ideal partner for Baldock. His hold up play is exceptional. Probably the best close control from a 'target man' I've seen at AG since Brooker in league 1... Davies I'm still not sold on, but he's had no real game time to properly judge.

I've noticed that in the last two games at AG that the substitution of Taylor has coincided with the opposition having a lot more possession and building pressure from deep. I think he will prove himself to be an invaluable player this season.

I don't disagree. I like Taylor. I thought he worked hard, looked for the ball and as you say his hold up play is excellent. I'm just not sure him and Stead as a partnership can last. Although Stead was a bit poor today the pair of them combined just completely failed to test Robinson.

As for Davies, it's still early days as you say, but a couple of times today he showed a bit of sparkle. I just wonder if that might push him ahead of the honest graft of Taylor.

I guess it's a nice problem to have.

I don't disagree. I like Taylor. I thought he worked hard, looked for the ball and as you say his hold up play is excellent. I'm just not sure him and Stead as a partnership can last. Although Stead was a bit poor today the pair of them combined just completely failed to test Robinson.

As for Davies, it's still early days as you say, but a couple of times today he showed a bit of sparkle. I just wonder if that might push him ahead of the honest graft of Taylor.

I guess it's a nice problem to have.

Bang on the money, I think we are really spoilt for attacking options - Baldock, Davies, Taylor, Stead, Albert, Messi my mouth is watering. A big dominant centre back signing on Tuesday and we can be very optimistic of top ten IMO.

First game I've seen this season and I'm very optimistic.

One thing that really impressed me was the will to win. Even though we kept getting behind, we kept on fighting. We actually only lost because after 90 mins we were still looking for the win. Perhaps we should have settled for the point and packed the defence against such a good side but we didn't and that made for a thrilling game. Hopefully there aren't many teams as good as Blackburn and that will to win will prevail. It reminds me of the spirit of the Johnson era (before it all went horribly wrong!) when we kept on getting last minute winners.

First game I've seen this season and I'm very optimistic.

One thing that really impressed me was the will to win. Even though we kept getting behind, we kept on fighting. We actually only lost because after 90 mins we were still looking for the win. Perhaps we should have settled for the point and packed the defence against such a good side but we didn't and that made for a thrilling game. Hopefully there aren't many teams as good as Blackburn and that will to win will prevail. It reminds me of the spirit of the Johnson era (before it all went horribly wrong!) when we kept on getting last minute winners.

Spot on! Would rather see a performance like yesterday's than a half-hearted 2-0 loss.

I said at the start of the season that I thought Blackburn would win it so to be minutes from getting a result against them shows we will, more often than not, be competitive this season.

I just hope we can pick up points in our 2 away games coming up and prevent a couple of defeats turning into a "bad" run.

Loads of grounds for optimism. How many times last season did we come back not once but twice in a game and at 3 all were still going out for the win. Thankfully we won't come up against many teams as potent as Blackburn. Cut out the defensive errors and get some clean sheets behind us and we'll be ok.

After watching the game i do feel that there are a lot of positives to be taken, we kept the ball well, finished are chances and i feel that Blackburn got a bit licky at times when the ball just fell to them at the right time. As long as we play like this most weeks we can comfortably compete in every game. We gave them 3 goals through sloppy defending once this is sorted we will be a good team.

Very optimistic, we have scored 12 goals in our last 4 games last season we scored 25 goals in 24 games !!! the defence needs sorting then we will be fine i will predict us to finish just outside the top 10

Loads of optimism! No one can deny we are playing much better football than last season. Though we did seem to be hoofing the ball upfield towards Steady & the ginger ninja yesterday. I think it might be a good call to start Baldock with Taylor, though I'm pretty certain Delboy knows best & that's why I'm not the gaffer ;) haha

I was pleased yesterday. I thought Blackburn deserved it overall, but there was a lot to take from our performance.

I am not sure that sorting the defence out is quite as easy as we hope, yeah, sure there were individual errors that Blackburn ruthlessly converted and cutting those out is important, though I am not sure how you can coach a pair of very experienced centre-backs to not make mistakes so often (good job I'm not on the training ground), though hope it's just a concentration thing rather than any critial lack of ability.

When Blackburn had possession and we were able to sit compact and let them pass it around in front of us we didn't neccessarily look that shaky. Blackburn were good enough break us down a bit to get a few shots in but on the whole Heaton dealt with them comfortably. It was when we gave the ball away sloppily and Pearson and Skuse were up with play that the real problems occurred. Prior to McInnes, 1 of those 2 would likely have still been deep enough to stop the counter being able to get at the centre backs immediately.

Now, this change of empasis from the midfield is good (in my opinion) and is clearly paying dividends in the goals for column, but individually they are, perhaps, prone to giving the ball away a little to easily.

The centre-backs themselves have been used to having a buffer sitting in front of them, even when the opposition are looking to counter and perhaps the lack of that man is causing them problems they have not had to deal with for a long time (for instance in yesterdays case, possibly causing lapses in concentration that led to the making of basic individual errors). Perhaps the signing of a centre-back who is used to playing behind a midfield 4 with no obvious deeper defensive player is just as important and them being dominant in dealing with 'direct' play.

At the end of the day, I don't think there are many teams we will deal with that have the class of Blackburn. There was a little naivity in our play (though an admiral gung-ho spirit when were were looking for a winner at 3-3) which might well be tempered going forward. A defence more used to dealing with the counter attack, whether than is through training ground work and experience or a new signing is pretty crucial too.

Archived