IGNORED

Replacing Laptop With Tablet, Is It Possible?

Always Believesham

Probably because I am too lazy to go into PC World and ask primarily but I come to OTIB users looking for relatively neutral advice on tablets (ie. someone not trying to sell me one)

I'm hoping to replace my laptop with a tablet of any kind, mainly because they are smaller, lighter and therefore much more portable.

Is there a tablet out there that can replace a laptop?

However, the functions I would need are:

- Wifi

- Web browsing

- Photo, Video, Music Viewing

- Email

- Creating and Editing Microsoft documents (Word, Excel, Ppt.)

- Creating Pdf.'s from documents

- USB Port

- flash player for web browsing

I would only get a tablet if it was to completely replace my laptop as I really don't feel the need to have both, as far as i'm concerned there isn't anything a tablet can offer that a laptop can't.

I have also just been offered an Ipad deal which would be on a contract through Vodafone which is why i'm considering it. I currently use Windows OS but if it's possible to use Microsoft programs on a Mac transferring would not be a problem.

Those of you techy types, could you give me a hand please?!

And what is everyone's experiences of Tablets?

Probably because I am too lazy to go into PC World and ask primarily but I come to OTIB users looking for relatively neutral advice on tablets (ie. someone not trying to sell me one)

I'm hoping to replace my laptop with a tablet of any kind, mainly because they are smaller, lighter and therefore much more portable.

Is there a tablet out there that can replace a laptop?

However, the functions I would need are:

- Wifi

- Web browsing

- Photo, Video, Music Viewing

- Email

- Creating and Editing Microsoft documents (Word, Excel, Ppt.)

- Creating Pdf.'s from documents

- USB Port

- flash player for web browsing

I would only get a tablet if it was to completely replace my laptop as I really don't feel the need to have both, as far as i'm concerned there isn't anything a tablet can offer that a laptop can't.

I have also just been offered an Ipad deal which would be on a contract through Vodafone which is why i'm considering it. I currently use Windows OS but if it's possible to use Microsoft programs on a Mac transferring would not be a problem.

Those of you techy types, could you give me a hand please?!

And what is everyone's experiences of Tablets?

I don't think the ipad supports these android might, I can' say that tablets are my strong point,

Personally I's stick to a laptop as you can always upgrade them (expensive mind) as tech gets newer,

Microsoft do a phone so I wouldn't think it will be too long before they did a tablet

I don't think the ipad supports these android might, I can' say that tablets are my strong point,

Personally I's stick to a laptop as you can always upgrade them (expensive mind) as tech gets newer,

Microsoft do a phone so I wouldn't think it will be too long before they did a tablet

Microsoft surface comes out in October, first glance it looks pretty good, of course, can't say for sure until it is tested.

Take a look at this

http://www.asus.com/...nsformer_TF101/

Tablet which comes with a keyboard attachment. Both tablet and keyboard have a battery. Increasing battery life

Tested one at work, very impressive. Keyboard is a real nice touch if you need to type something up quickly.

Cheers for these, link looks very good, I'm not worried about using windows, as log as I can save files that are windows compatible (docs, spreadsheets etc)

The Eee Pad is definitley an attempt at a PC, or replacing one, isn't it

Sorry - me again!

The help given was brilliant, decided not to go down the iRoute, Windows 8 far more accesible by Tablet, not keen on Android tbh.

Some nice pieces of kit about to come out for Windows 8 Launch. Had a dig though and narrowed down to about 4 to choose from. I have a couple of questions... I will be asking these in a tech shop aswell though, just to see if I can do the limited stuff I do, on a tablet (one that doubles up as a notebook through docking unit & keyboard).

1. iTunes on a windows 8 tablet

Is it going to happen?

2. Flash Players on a windows 8 tablet

Are they going to be downloadable as part of the windows software or will it be down to the individual tablet?

3. 3G Connection

Is there a gizmo that can connect (through usb) to enable WAN connection if there is not already 3G connection on the device?

Sorry - me again!

The help given was brilliant, decided not to go down the iRoute, Windows 8 far more accesible by Tablet, not keen on Android tbh.

Some nice pieces of kit about to come out for Windows 8 Launch. Had a dig though and narrowed down to about 4 to choose from. I have a couple of questions... I will be asking these in a tech shop aswell though, just to see if I can do the limited stuff I do, on a tablet (one that doubles up as a notebook through docking unit & keyboard).

1. iTunes on a windows 8 tablet

Is it going to happen?

2. Flash Players on a windows 8 tablet

Are they going to be downloadable as part of the windows software or will it be down to the individual tablet?

3. 3G Connection

Is there a gizmo that can connect (through usb) to enable WAN connection if there is not already 3G connection on the device?

1) Think ts there already - mate at work runs 8 and itunes on PC

2) Flash isn't hardware dependent - only apple blocked it on operating system

3) wireless usb dongle - about £4 on ebay

Check these: http://www.ebuyer.co...r/cat/Tablet-PC

I'd go for that Asus that TRL linked but hard to find, so I'd buy a sumvision and hope :D

If you want to create documents (word, excel etc.) then I think you're going to struggle with those on a tablet unless you get a keyboard attachment. Tablets really aren't made for that type of thing. I've just been through this debate myself end ended up with a 11.6" laptop. Still light and portable, but I needed it for writing documents and so the tablet would have made that difficult. If your primarily looking to browse the internet, use applications and so on then go for it but for work related things such as writing, spreadsheets and pdf then you're probably in the wrong ball park.

Archived