IGNORED

Worst Injuries Seen Down The Gate?

CiderArmyy

Did anyone else notice that Elekobi's injury happened in the same spot where Christian Ribeiro got his nasty injury in that league cup game, also after an impressive start. I remember the howl that Ribs made. Big George took it like a trooper.

Did anyone else notice that Elekobi's injury happened in the same spot where Christian Ribeiro got his nasty injury in that league cup game, also after an impressive start. I remember the howl that Ribs made. Big George took it like a trooper.

Pretty sure Scott Brown's was down near there as well wasn't it?

That was 1970, right in front of me, totally horrible, bone sticking through his sock and into the ground, blood everywhere (similar to David Boost)

Apparantly some Boro players called for Mcmordie to be sent off and shunned him in the players bar after !

I think it happened near the halfway line on the Dolman side? I was in the East End and heard the crack as his leg broke. That dirty tackle ended the career of who I though was our best ever winger.

Yep that patch of turf must be possessed..Ribs did scream indeed then again a rupture can be more painfull than a fracture.. I know ive done both .Theres very few nerves in the bone...Georges dislocated ankle would have been agony...but when the shock kicks in strangely you dont feel it too much until they get you to the Xray dept and start pulling it about .... :crying: thats when it starts kin hurting..

Ive seen a few shin bones through the old style shin pads a few times..

Alex Munroe, the ****** animal, tried to decapitate Chris Crowe, miss timed it, ended up wrapped round the enclosure railings, serve him right !

Remember it well. At the time there was ringside seating in the form of concrete and wooden benches in front of the enclosure railings and Munro slid into them. As you say, had he achieved his mission of taking out Chris Crowe then it would have resulted in Crowe's decapitation!

I think it happened near the halfway line on the Dolman side? I was in the East End and heard the crack as his leg broke. That dirty tackle ended the career of who I though was our best ever winger.

You're right that it happened on the Dolman side, just over the halfway line, I think. I was at the Open End and heard the crack. It was an awful challenge by McMordie.

Going way back (around 1968?), Gerry Sharpe broke his leg in a tackle at AG with Eric McMordie of Middlesbrough. Sickening but the injuries to Dani and George appeared worse because of the dislocation. All of the incidents were horrific.

This must have been the worst. Although Gerry Sharp had the break set, when it healed one leg was slightly shorter than the other, which meant he never played again. The end of a very promising career.

I was there for most of injuries described all sickening, but one I wasn't there for but my late father spoke of many times was in 1956 an England under 23 game at the gate v France and an incredibly talented young striker called Alick Jeffrey broke his leg badly and it is alleged that crack of the break could be heard around the ground. it was all the more sad as having scored 34 goals in 71 games Matt Busby had agreed a fee with his club Doncaster Rovers and he was due to join the Busby babes, the break was so bad he retired from the game in 1957 and in an attempted comeback in 1959 for non league Skegness he broke his leg again in his very first match. After regaining his fitness in Australia he actually returned to Donny in 1963 and over the next 5 years he incredibly scored 95 goals in 191 games, he died in 2000 and is an absolute legend at Donny.

PS:-Alex Munro for the gas in 1968 happend right in front of me. Chris Crowe was a very talented footballer who could be lazy and unmotivated at times, liked a beer or 3, but saw the assault coming from a mile away and just hurdled him taking the ball with him and Munro crashed straight into the wooden seating that was all around the pitch at AG in those days, not proud to say to this day I still find it funny and proof that karma exists, Munro was a horrible human being who later in his career attacked the gas coach Bill Dodgin with a golf club and Bill was actually one of the nicest people you could ever find in football.

PPS:-The Gerry Sharpe injury was heart breaking, he was just flourishing into a great great player.

Was unfortunate enough to see (and hear) Scott Browns and Dani Rogues' injuries.

Did Aaron Brown suffer a really bad injury at the gate or is that just my imagination????

Aaron Brown broke his leg in front of the east end - Against Rushden and Diamonds i believe? He was screaming, it was awful

Also Elokobi's injury really was horrific.... to the point i actually felt sick..

Archived