IGNORED

Why Do Bristolians Not Like Football?

Southport Red

I've said this on many occasions before when arguing against the club offering 50% student discounts. They have very very little interest in being a supporter of the club so why did the club go out of their way to try and appease them with cheap tickets.

The club need to go to the schools in and around Bristol giving free tickets to the local schools, not just one offs, every home game fill the stadium with 1,000 - 2,000 kids, get them at the stadium, why the club don't do it with average of 12k - 14k attendances I don't know. At least these kids will live in the city, experience live football on their doorstep and get them away from watching the Premier League clubs.

It's a very simple idea which needs no marketing campaign starring Robbie Williams the Port Vale fan. Do it next home game and start filling the gate with local kids.

Great Idea ..few footballers go into schools ..Send Scotty Murray along give out a bit of free merch and tickets

Might get kids up n running about rather than just on ps3/xbox as well

Bristol doesn't like sport in general. I mean look at our sporting facilities!! We don't have any. If you look at every other major city they have decent sporting venues. But this isn't just a sporting thing, this runs through the veins of the city as a whole. Bristol does not want to progress. Simple as that. We've got the opportunity to progress with a brand new stadium that would be one, if not the best, sporting venues in the West Country. Can we get that built? No. Why? Because the City of Bristol is far to worried about a land fill site that is used twice a month. As long as Bristol as a whole has it's "can't do" attitude, then we as a City and it's sports clubs "won't do" anything.

Bristol does not like sport!!! My sons karate kick boxing classes run six days a week and they are full. kids football in bristol is supported. loads play. bristol is a great place to live, the weekends are not long enough to fit things in and there is loads to do v football and cheaper. City have barely been any good since the seventies and that will always be a problem. add the club being pretty low profile and it is hardly suprising citys gate are not all that. wba wolves etc no new stadium but time spent in the top flight.

Interesting thing I found on this link: http://www.peakdemand.co.uk/blog/facebook-advertising/manchester-united/

It's made by an Ipswich (or Norwich) fan and charts the amount of supporters of Manchester United, according to Facebook likes, on the map of the UK. If you look at it Bristol supposedly has 15,000 Man U fans! More than our average attendance! I have to say if you compare to other places Bristol does look particularly poor... Seems that people do like football, but they're just plastics!

I think you've hit the nail smack on the head mate. Here is the real difference between Bristol and a lot of northern or midlands cities.

I don't think we get many trekking down from Clifton or Redland on a match day, they would rather take Tarquin and Sebastian to an art festival. Whereas your average bloke from Knowle West, Hartcliffe or Southmead can't afford to go.

People at the festivals are from the estates also, artists at Upfest - paint jams certainly are from Hartcliffe, same with DJ's and those organising the sound systems. Cost v football, often free.

Clubs in the west have historically low gates. Clubs in the west don't spend any time in the top division decade upon decade . Compare v the midlands and the north.

People in Bristol are not that diffrent to those in Newcastle, or Wolves who forgot to watch their local teams not so long ago.

A new stadium is a must. The facilities at Ashton Gate are poor in comparison to other grounds.

Leicester & Cardiff had similar crowds prior to new stadiums being built.

You only have to look at Reading, what a dump Elm Park was coupled with gas size crowds.

This is replicated all over the country.

It will be our turn once we get the stadium built.

there has never been a history of having a succesful team in the city, if one of the clubs had say 10 years continuous top flight football scattered throughout it's history every now and again there would be a passion for it.

This.

The lads I work with are heavily into football, whether watching it on Sky or playing themselves. It wouldn't occur to any of them to go to watch City or Rovers though. Sure they take an interest in City and ask me about the team's performances and comment on individual players, but that's as far as it goes.

Bristol football hasn't had any hint of success in their lifetimes. To them BCFC is a minority interest thing. They will continue to associate themselves with Manchester United or Liverpool, as has become the norm in the modern era. Unless we ever make to the premier league that is.

Im sure thats what the fans of Darlington Coventry and Derby were all saying

Having a new ground SHOULD help but if we are not a winning team the new fans will soon walk away

Completely agree besides although not state of the art the Gate isn't that bad

A Lot of new fans just dont "feel" it like we used too

Its a pleasant way to spend a saturday not something that means the world to them

Parking and pricing.

For the average Joe thinking about popping to the footy on the off chance, too much hassle.

Agree: parking and general access to AG by road and public transport is very poor. Puts a lot of people off: especially those who live outside the City. For evening games, it's taken me over two hours to get in by car from Bradford on Avon (22 miles away) and park up. There's lots of others from this part of Wiltshire, and from Somerset and Glos that just can't be bothered. Another example of how the city is lagging behind others of similar size, or smaller, in its infrastructure...

Also there are tens of thousands of students living here with little or no interest in the local football teams.

Very true, the student population remains mostly untapped, but as I've said before this is where the gash have played a worrying master stroke if their new stadium at UWE comes off - they will be instantly gaining a considerable boost to their fan base.

Think of all the newbies coming in wave after wave, year after year. There's no doubt in my mind that a lot of those will go to games, since they'll be living right next door to it and it will be something to do. The club are bound to introduce very tempting offers for them, and once they're onboard, they're likely to stay gash fans since most students stay on and live/work in the city where they studied.

I went to plymouth uni, and we went to watch argyle occasionally, even though it was miles from the uni and where we lived, and would've attended much more if it was closer so I think this might work for r+vers, particularly if three new stadium breeds success and they, god forbid, reach the upper echelons...

I wouldn't worry too much about students going to watch the gas. They're all skint and are more likely to spend their money on a hundred weight of pot noodles rather than a ticket for a blue square league match. ;)

Population of Bristol 480,000

Population of Leicester 240,000

Yet there were 25,000 fans at the new Filbert Street (can't be bothered to remember what they call the Walkers stadium nowadays)

This is why they have more money than us and that is why they have a better team

I used to think it was because the West Country is such a Rugby Union stronghold, that a town cannot be big in Rugby and in Football (Gloucester vs Manchester for example). Trouble is, Bristol Rugby are in the second tier and Leices Tigers are in the Premier League so that doesn't wash.

It isn't because we have two football teams either, if you add Rovers, say 7,000 average home crowds to our, say 13,000 you still don't get close.

If you live in the Leicester catchment area, you could easily get to either of the Nottinghams, Coventry or, at a bit more of a push, the Sheffields. Rovers & Swindle aside, there is no other team near us.

So why can we not get the fans in? Until we do, even building the new stadium is a little pointless surely, just be even more wide open spaces.

So serious question (and I am a Bristolian myself so not having a pop) Why don't Bristolians like football?

I think Bristolians do like league football but over the years this club has not had the same success as Leicester City on the football field. They've reached four FA Cup finals to our one, and have been in the top flight for far more years than we have. We've not got the same football pedigree as Leicester that's for sure.

Agree: parking and general access to AG by road and public transport is very poor.

I started watching City in 68-69. Then the bus company ran busses for Saturday home games from all parts of the town to both AG & Eastville. I used to catch the bus that stsarted from Locleaze!

For the 1968 FA cup match between City & Rovers a special 10 coach train worked from Severn Beach all the way to Parson Street picking up at all stations en route.

Oi City Council! You want us all to be eco conscious; lean on the bus & train companies.

I started watching City in 68-69. Then the bus company ran busses for Saturday home games from all parts of the town to both AG & Eastville. I used to catch the bus that stsarted from Locleaze!

For the 1968 FA cup match between City & Rovers a special 10 coach train worked from Severn Beach all the way to Parson Street picking up at all stations en route.

Oi City Council! You want us all to be eco conscious; lean on the bus & train companies.

Both us and the Gas were mainly third/second tier clubs during the 50s, 60s and 70s and those decades saw both Bristol clubs draw far better crowds than now. You could conclude that as well as having better public transport to Bristol's football grounds that football - as a spectator sport - in general was far more popular countrywide then than now.

The main reason is because Bristol is a nice place. Not being biased but it is, there's a lot to do in the city on a saturday afternoon. Towns up north like Blackburn, Bolton, Middlesbrough etc, are very run down places and there's not much there to do as Bristol but football. Another reason is the price of football these days, it costs nearly 60 quid for a day out which includes ticket, petrol and drinks. It's simply too much and puts people off

I think you will find your 3 examples are not good ones; average attendances at those three clubs are not much more than ours, perhaps 2-3k tops and that is with 15 quid offers week in week out.

Probably better to compare with the likes of Derby, Leicester and Florist the first of which have unbelievable attendances every home match.

Population of Bristol 480,000

Population of Leicester 240,000

Yet there were 25,000 fans at the new Filbert Street (can't be bothered to remember what they call the Walkers stadium nowadays)

This is why they have more money than us and that is why they have a better team

I used to think it was because the West Country is such a Rugby Union stronghold, that a town cannot be big in Rugby and in Football (Gloucester vs Manchester for example). Trouble is, Bristol Rugby are in the second tier and Leices Tigers are in the Premier League so that doesn't wash.

It isn't because we have two football teams either, if you add Rovers, say 7,000 average home crowds to our, say 13,000 you still don't get close.

If you live in the Leicester catchment area, you could easily get to either of the Nottinghams, Coventry or, at a bit more of a push, the Sheffields. Rovers & Swindle aside, there is no other team near us.

So why can we not get the fans in? Until we do, even building the new stadium is a little pointless surely, just be even more wide open spaces.

So serious question (and I am a Bristolian myself so not having a pop) Why don't Bristolians like football?

This is such a tired argument really, you almost stumble on the answer then dismiss it. We have a population similar to Leeds or Newcastle and a similar catchment area too, if not bigger, what is the real difference? They just have better, bigger stadiums.

The capacity at AG for decent seats is low, you cannot attract new fans if there are no seat and unable offer a quality match day experience, its not the football, its not the fans or the City, we just haven't got the facility's to support the potential.

We need a new stadium to satisfy the fans and we need it to keep afloat, staying at AG is costing us a lot of revenue, incalculable really, on and off the pitch.

I only hope these new laws proposed to stop terrorists exploiting the law extended to the nimbys who are abusing it too.

Bristol doesn't like sport in general. I mean look at our sporting facilities!! We don't have any. If you look at every other major city they have decent sporting venues. But this isn't just a sporting thing, this runs through the veins of the city as a whole. Bristol does not want to progress. Simple as that. We've got the opportunity to progress with a brand new stadium that would be one, if not the best, sporting venues in the West Country. Can we get that built? No. Why? Because the City of Bristol is far to worried about a land fill site that is used twice a month. As long as Bristol as a whole has it's "can't do" attitude, then we as a City and it's sports clubs "won't do" anything.

I think this is bang on, I live in Cardiff, have done for the past 20 years but I always go home to Bristol as I love where I came from, however, in the last 5-10 years I've seen Cardiff grow into a massive City with a hell of a lot to do in terms of sport and leisure and yet when I go back to Bristol it never really changes that much. I hate to say it but Cardiff is an example of what a City can become with the right attitude to sport and activities.

I agree with a few points and disagree with a few points on here

I'm definitley feeling the North/South of the M4 thing, as soon as people establish I'm a Bristol City fan, I get a bit more respect from the Prem Club fans or Local fans, all the Lads (and Girls) that have a vague interest in football will talk about is football. My mates a Liverpool fan through heritage more than glory but we still banter him for it, he frequently get's annoyed saying "what makes me any less of a football fan than you because I support a big team"

If its supporters we're after then the Man United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Man City are the fans we should entice into coming to the gate as we know they like football. Just because 'Archibald's taking Theodore to an art gallery' doesn't make him a bad person [no one said it did] but you can't attract those people to like City when it's possible they don't like football!

Get the kids in young, get them interested, not just the kids that play, get the schools in, with their mates make the gate a grown up environment and kids will revel in it, they'll feel grown up and want to come back, it's a safe environment now - ok thousands of people is a bit risky for a 9 year old to be on their own in but it's not like they're in any danger of being caught up in a riot. Parents/Guardians need to become more aware of this

If its supporters you want - tap into the prem fans, get them to easily accessible, cheap football comparitively

If its more fans that are attatched to the club emotionally - a real real push for kids is needed, drag them in kicking and screaming and make them watch until they enjoy it!

This is such a tired argument really, you almost stumble on the answer then dismiss it. We have a population similar to Leeds or Newcastle and a similar catchment area too, if not bigger, what is the real difference? They just have better, bigger stadiums.

The capacity at AG for decent seats is low, you cannot attract new fans if there are no seat and unable offer a quality match day experience, its not the football, its not the fans or the City, we just haven't got the facility's to support the potential.

We need a new stadium to satisfy the fans and we need it to keep afloat, staying at AG is costing us a lot of revenue, incalculable really, on and off the pitch.

I only hope these new laws proposed to stop terrorists exploiting the law extended to the nimbys who are abusing it too.

Leeds and Newcastle are hardly parallels. One team City's, sides in europe and cup finals in the seventies, and neither were in the fourth division early eighties. Nineties histories are still incomparable. Leeds gates are a part of that legacy, Newcastles on stars, relative success, and spectacular financial losses.

A better comparison would be Bradford City, bugger all history in terms of success just like this BCFC, and gates nothing to get giddy about. Wolves [??] maybe, gates of 4000 in the eighties, re-developed stadia with steady improvement on the pitch, top flight football - relegation - top flight football - relegation gates of 20000 plus.

Leeds and Newcastle are hardly parallels. One team City's, sides in europe and cup finals in the seventies, and neither were in the fourth division early eighties. Nineties histories are still incomparable. Leeds gates are a part of that legacy, Newcastles on stars, relative success, and spectacular financial losses.

A better comparison would be Bradford City, bugger all history in terms of success just like this BCFC, and gates nothing to get giddy about. Wolves [??] maybe, gates of 4000 in the eighties, re-developed stadia with steady improvement on the pitch, top flight football - relegation - top flight football - relegation gates of 20000 plus.

I would agree with that if we get in the Premier League our gates would sore as was proven when we got to the PO final. How many more ST'S did we sell on the back of that we have been starved of top flight football in Bristol for years and people would rather support/watch the bigger teams up north than watch us sad but true.

I play football on Saturdays, but get to every game i can. This season I'm crocked so getting to more now. I noticed quite a high percentage of women, young supporters poss students amongst the leicester fans as i left the ground. Leicester have more of a name than City and people coming in from outside the area are more likely to adopt the team. Getting in and getting refreshments is easier - although the toilets were pretty rank. Also most of the Bristol Uni students are from private or grammar schools and love rugby rather than football. UWE students tend to live in the north of the City and tend to prefer rugby as well. I also noticed more people from other ethnic backgrounds - City fans have a (more recently unfair) reputation for racism that needs to be dispelled. And i remember it was really bad even into the late 90s.

So sorry my post tires you Teddy.

So, just to make sure I understand you, you are saying the ONLY difference between us and Newcastle is that they have a better stadium, is that right? Really? And I'm the one who is tiresome? OK, fair enough.

I think this is bang on, I live in Cardiff, have done for the past 20 years but I always go home to Bristol as I love where I came from, however, in the last 5-10 years I've seen Cardiff grow into a massive City with a hell of a lot to do in terms of sport and leisure and yet when I go back to Bristol it never really changes that much. I hate to say it but Cardiff is an example of what a City can become with the right attitude to sport and activities.

I get the feeling that for many modern Bristol residents, reopening the tobacco factories and reintroducing the slave trade to the docks would be almost more attractive options than providing the City with modern sport and leisure facilies, arenas or stadia!

So, just to make sure I understand you, you are saying the ONLY difference between us and Newcastle is that they have a better stadium, is that right? Really? And I'm the one who is tiresome? OK, fair enough.

Newcastle stadium counts mind, forget they have had eighty years in the top division and had Alan Shearer instead of Bas Savage, its all about having views in that top deck an Eagle would feel at home with.

To factor in the clubs past glory onto a balance sheet is impossible, where do you start? Hmm, would an average local young kid with no football allegiances base his support of a team just on the club having dominated during the 70's?

Anways, The fact we have won nothing makes me think we have the best to come and I don't as a football fan bring up history, which is insignificant anyway as an argument as to who is better now,

You talk about legacy, it has a value, but how to quantify it?, If Legacy and reputation were commodity's they would be priceless. People invest in it anyways.

Barca, Real Madrid, ManU, Liverpool, all won major trophy's, that's good money, but these guys where winning it and were famous well before the money really appeared. So reputation is everything, playing Prem footy is everything, a new stadium is everything, because you can be Real Madrid, but if your stadium is a reckerty 19k seating you will never get over 17k on average, never.

Bristol can fill a 30k stadium week in week on in the Prem, and you can compare Leicester to us, they walker Stadium is new with a 30k capacity.

Georgraphicly, all Citys are different, God knows, the question argument was why don't Bristolians like football is and i think we have answered.

We have won nothing yet of significance, and Legacy as reputation has a value, but you cant put a price on it,

Our stadium is poor as are our facility's compounding the lack of profit for players, New regulations and laws, H&S has forced us to reduced the capacity further since the 80's.

If you picked the biggest City in the UK who has featured least in the top flight recently, Its us.

Missing out V Hull, If not horrifying enough, put the brakes on moving and pushing the stadium through earlier.

The Nimbys.. too much to say here..

A little bad luck.

Pretty much EVERYTHING a new stadium would solve.

All = missing fans,

If you want to discuss what impact the geographical location of Bristolians and Geordie's has socially on football attendances then I don't know.

Another thread perhaps. and sorry Southport i didn't intend offence.

One thing i do think about our club is when the big names come to us, they flop. When the unheard of players come to us they seem to fight half the battle themselves in general. It seems to yo-yo the attendance with our dips in form.

Hey its a great league, good teams and we do seem to up our game v the biggins, but poor results do have a bearing on numbers, but they can have a positive impact too, so over a long period it all looks pretty consistent doesn't it?.

Its the stadium we need then it will all be better, we can be consistently inconstant at a higher level, that's got to be good.

To factor in the clubs past glory onto a balance sheet is impossible, where do you start? Hmm, would an average local young kid with no football allegiances base his support of a team just on the club having dominated during the 70's?

Anways, The fact we have won nothing makes me think we have the best to come and I don't as a football fan bring up history, which is insignificant anyway as an argument as to who is better now,

You talk about legacy, it has a value, but how to quantify it?, If Legacy and reputation were commodity's they would be priceless. People invest in it anyways.

Barca, Real Madrid, ManU, Liverpool, all won major trophy's, that's good money, but these guys where winning it and were famous well before the money really appeared. So reputation is everything, playing Prem footy is everything, a new stadium is everything, because you can be Real Madrid, but if your stadium is a reckerty 19k seating you will never get over 17k on average, never.

Bristol can fill a 30k stadium week in week on in the Prem, and you can compare Leicester to us, they walker Stadium is new with a 30k capacity.

Georgraphicly, all Citys are different, God knows, the question argument was why don't Bristolians like football is and i think we have answered.

We have won nothing yet of significance, and Legacy as reputation has a value, but you cant put a price on it,

Our stadium is poor as are our facility's compounding the lack of profit for players, New regulations and laws, H&S has forced us to reduced the capacity further since the 80's.

If you picked the biggest City in the UK who has featured least in the top flight recently, Its us.

Missing out V Hull, If not horrifying enough, put the brakes on moving and pushing the stadium through earlier.

The Nimbys.. too much to say here..

A little bad luck.

All = missing fans,

If you want to discuss what impact the geographical location of Bristolians and Geordie's has socially on football attendances then I don't know.

Another thread perhaps. and sorry Southport i didn't intend offence.

There you have it.

Clubs like Leicester, Norwich, Ipswich, Wolves who on some levels can be comparable have larger gates. All have spent significant periods in the top division in the last thirty years.

If Bristol City had been a premeirship club the stadium would have been updated, its the norm. A new stadium is the emporers new clothes without the team to go with it. Stoke nearly went out existence shortly after theirs was built, not the only ones either.

As I pointed out earlier Bristolians are little different to any. People in Wolverhampton abandoned their local side when it hit the fourth division, City have been serial under achievers and gates reflect that.

Newcastle have spent eighty years in the top flight. New ground or not I doubt they would get 25000 in the championship if they had a history like BCFC. When the product is poor people go elsewhere, when it is not that good for ten, twenty, thirty years most won't come at all.

There you have it.

Clubs like Leicester, Norwich, Ipswich, Wolves who on some levels can be comparable have larger gates. All have spent significant periods in the top division in the last thirty years.

If Bristol City had been a premeirship club the stadium would have been updated, its the norm. A new stadium is the emporers new clothes without the team to go with it. Stoke nearly went out existence shortly after theirs was built, not the only ones either.

As I pointed out earlier Bristolians are little different to any. People in Wolverhampton abandoned their local side when it hit the fourth division, City have been serial under achievers and gates reflect that.

Newcastle have spent eighty years in the top flight. New ground or not I doubt they would get 25000 in the championship if they had a history like BCFC. When the product is poor people go elsewhere, when it is not that good for ten, twenty, thirty years most won't come at all.

Yeps. There are many factors too consider. I think Bristol is almost a victim of its own success in a way, possibly, Bristol as a City is great place to live and do things, plenty of variety and close to a lot of nice places. I think you can only appreciate this once you have lived elsewhere.

Yeps. There are many factors too consider. I think Bristol is almost a victim of its own success in a way, possibly, Bristol as a City is great place to live and do things, plenty of variety and close to a lot of nice places. I think you can only appreciate this once you have lived elsewhere.

I have lived elsewhere, it convinced me we are lucky to live in such a fine City. I agree because Bristol is great place to be people will want a lot of bang for that buck. Reduced prices will help, promotions will help, a new ground - a re-developed one also to increase profile/gates but if the next twenty years are like they already have been thirty thousand seats become a white elephant, a very dead half empty one.

Archived