IGNORED

Brought Tears To My Eyes!

swampy

If only there was a time machine :(

These were footballers who played for the game and not what cash they could make out of it.

Not like the pampered excuses for a footballer these days, two different kinds of players.

A lot of todays players are not fit enough to lace the boots of the players of that generation.

These were footballers who played for the game and not what cash they could make out of it.

Not like the pampered excuses for a footballer these days, two different kinds of players.

A lot of todays players are not fit enough to lace the boots of the players of that generation.

Just another case of an old bitter man thinking his generation was the best. Like everything else, football has evolved with time, and as its the only generation of football that I've known at my relatively young age, I love it! It's not their fault that they are paid a lot of money for it and although there are some money grabbers who are in the media a lot, there are still a lot of dedicated professionals. You just don't hear about them because it doesn't make interesting news. Really annoys me when I see older people constantly moaning about the football of today.

Seem to remember Donnie Gillies building a massive house in Hallatrow and Kevin Mabbut having a few blondes drapped over his sports car!....the guys in 70's didn't do too bad compared to others ot thier era, much the same as footballers today...good luck to all of them!

Hehe. Donnie - it's Donald nowadays - is a regular down my local.

He's a canny businessman and a very shrewd man, but a straight-up fella and as friendly as you like.

Like a lot of ex-footballers, he's more interested in golf than footie these days.

Just another case of an old bitter man thinking his generation was the best.

I dunno, for me without thinking of wages that was an era i grew up with (70's) and was still growing along with in the 80's, 90's up through to this day and some decades were better than others for different reasons, point is that was partly top flight football seeing the liverpool and notts forest at ashton gate being the league and european champions and at times beating them when they were holding those titles, it didn't get any better than that since with time but we still live in hope ;)

At a guess forest and liverpool fans may feel they are not the team they once were.

Just another case of an old bitter man thinking his generation was the best. Like everything else, football has evolved with time, and as its the only generation of football that I've known at my relatively young age, I love it! It's not their fault that they are paid a lot of money for it and although there are some money grabbers who are in the media a lot, there are still a lot of dedicated professionals. You just don't hear about them because it doesn't make interesting news. Really annoys me when I see older people constantly moaning about the football of today.

It will be interesting to see whether you look back in 30 odd years time, and remember today's football with such fondness.

It's not about a generation being better...Footballers were paid very well back in the 70's compared to the average working man too.

And yes...you are right, there are some good professionals around today still.

Many things are different in football nowadays...but many older ones feel not all for the better.

There are many fans, old and new, that appreciate the football of Barcelona...as much as they did the Dutch and Bazil sides of the 70's.

Many miss Terracing, standing, singing, chanting, smoking, poor pitches, black football boots, Refs wearing black, Shirts with just the club badge and no sponser, Massive slideing tackles going through the player, Lenient ref's who didn't want to be the focus of the game, Nipple rash ( perhaps not :laugh: ,), Kits, that when you looked at them you knew which team it was, 1 substitute, 1-12 on the back of the shirts only, The players having a pint with fans after the game,Playmakers and characters that weren't afraid of making a mistake, mavericks... Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles and Tony Currie, picked up where George Best left off. Defenders like Norman Hunter and Bobby Moore...players that played for your team for many years...think Louis Carey as the norm...could go on...but you get the gist.

Glad you're enjoying you're football though.... ;)

Dont criticize what you dont know, i watched plenty of football over the years and the changes in the game and players attitudes have changed drastically.

Players whether international or club level played for the shirt and gave 90 minutes of passion, without acting like a bunch of actors.

i dont blame anyone in all kinds of work looking for big wages and bonuses, but at least earn it.

When you are an old boring fart Kotsy and you get to know the game of football, you will look back and judge the game, if football hasnt priced it self into oblivion by then!

Can't remember any players from my youth screaming when they were tackled (or even barely touched) or holding their face in agony after a trailing hand brushed a cheek (face not ar5e). Franny Lee was the worst and first diver of his generation whilst today the game is crippled with the disease. Getting opponents booked or sent off has become more important than scoring it seems.

Eeee lad - in my day there was a certain honesty amongst players. You wouldn't dream of giving the opponent the satisfaction of knowing that you'd been hurt in a tackle. Just run it off and get him back next time :-)

I can see that I'm outnumbered. Maybe in 30 years time I'll sound like you lot. I've got no problem with reminising, but like I said the game has evolved. Some people do take diving too far - suarez, but due to the fact that refs struggle to spot a blatant foul these days the players sometimes have to be a bit theatrical. I don't know if anyone watched the united - newcastle game, but harper brought welbeck down and was a definite sending off, yet welbeck stayed on his feet and nothing was given. The only thing that annoys me about the modern games if the officiating.

Hmmm... not strictly true I was plying my trade as a professional in that era and I can tell you without fear of contradiction it was a bad then as it is now. The sums involved are less relatively of course but there were plenty of Mercenaries about, sex drugs and rock and roll...... and quite a few corrupt officials as well. Many a brown envelope was left in the back of a referees car. ( allegedly :laughcont: ) and our Manager who I obviously won't name often had a bet on the outcome of the match :rolleyes:

dick

would leave it at that, but tbh not even worth qualifying my statement. no doubt i'll be banned for this, in which case pls delete this line and just leave the first word of my repsonse.

Stop the bickering, just enjoy the footage, it may not happen again. I remember the game against Liverpool well, it was our first season in div 1.

Liverpool had just been crowned league champions, night game at the gate with a crowd of over 30K, hardly enough room to breath. City win,

the rest is history, culminating in the famous Highfield Road 2-2. Great times. Not sure football can ever again induce the passion of those days,

but it would be great for the younger guys to see it and carry the fond memories, just as us oldder folk.

Stop the bickering, just enjoy the footage, it may not happen again. I remember the game against Liverpool well, it was our first season in div 1.

Liverpool had just been crowned league champions, night game at the gate with a crowd of over 30K, hardly enough room to breath. City win,

the rest is history, culminating in the famous Highfield Road 2-2. Great times. Not sure football can ever again induce the passion of those days,

but it would be great for the younger guys to see it and carry the fond memories, just as us oldder folk.

Totally agree.

just to thank you such memories as a teenager standing in the east end and nooooo i am not a bitter old man realise times move on too many players to mention but have to say glynn riley what a hero along with all those who took us to the old div 1

each generation have there own heroes but polease play brett a bit more

but also remember leeds away in the cup was my 1st away game had to lie to my parents where i was going and missed the train didn't get back until 6 the next morning then they found out the truth :laugh:

Couldnt make that one cos i had to work, had it on radio bristol played over the works tanoy system, once city scored i spent the rest of the match locked in the bogs with my fingers in my ears ( read into that what you will ) i was soooo nervous

I agree with you!

Archived