IGNORED

James Tavernier

Longacre_red

I have to ask, what decides a good manager/ coach these days. Lets be honest, when things are bad the first thing we do is look for a loan, surely the manager has to do better than this.

Gary Johnson for a few seasons got a team together on the pitch that was far far worse on paper than what we have now, yet he instilled self belief and a willingness to fight for results, granted it went to shit later on, but, the point is, Johnson for a few years had the players completely together on the pitch, mother in goal as he called it.

It always bugs me to see how easy it's made to just throw more money at a problem instead of banging the current players heads together and getting them working hard at defending.

I have to ask, what decides a good manager/ coach these days. Lets be honest, when things are bad the first thing we do is look for a loan, surely the manager has to do better than this.

Gary Johnson for a few seasons got a team together on the pitch that was far far worse on paper than what we have now, yet he instilled self belief and a willingness to fight for results, granted it went to shit later on, but, the point is, Johnson for a few years had the players completely together on the pitch, mother in goal as he called it.

It always bugs me to see how easy it's made to just throw more money at a problem instead of banging the current players heads together and getting them working hard at defending.

A good manager is based on his coaching IMO, not the money he chucks at a solution. Any coach worth his salt should be able to coach his team do defend as a unit, with some sort of structure. Then build the team from there.

A good manager is based on his coaching IMO, not the money he chucks at a solution. Any coach worth his salt should be able to coach his team do defend as a unit, with some sort of structure. Then build the team from there.

So who's to blame Mcinnes and Docherty or the players for not doing what their told and messing it up week after week.

So who's to blame Mcinnes and Docherty or the players for not doing what their told and messing it up week after week.

Who knows, is the message not getting across? the managers fault! Are the players choosing not listen? Players Fault. Are the players just not good enough? Current and previous mangers fault.

At the end of the day, it lays at the managers door, if the players will not perform for you, you have to ask why, then do something about it, be it change your ways, or move players on etc etc.

Whilst I appreciate that it is the managers or coaches job to get the defence to defend as a unit, it does stink of shifting the blame from the players, most of whom have been training at a professional football club for nigh on fifteen to twenty years, the vast overwhelming majority of the time playing in a 4.

I Completely agree with this post , signing new loan players is not going to solve anything as we have seen with Caulker/Bikey . Short term fixes maybe but as other have said if we're not careful we'll have a team made of loan players and look what happened to Donnie last year.

I Completely agree with this post , signing new loan players is not going to solve anything as we have seen with Caulker/Bikey . Short term fixes maybe but as other have said if we're not careful we'll have a team made of loan players and look what happened to Donnie last year.

Well a short-term fix is needed as Nyatanga proved for the umpteenth time on Saturday, (to borrow from Lionel Ritchie) hello, it's not him we're looking for....

Signing Caulker and Bikey did us the world of good, heaven knows where we would have been without either of them. I really don't understand your point at all.

Although unlike some others on here I will at least give this lad the benefit of the doubt I can't see the logic in this.

Tavernier is by all accounts a RB, the position that we least need cover for, as when he's been picked there Foster has been the best of a poor back four for me.

Maybe he is going to play him as a RCB, but that seems a big gamble as he has no league experience there.

I can only assume poor Foster will continue in a wide midfield position and Mark Wilson's contract may not be renewed after this.

Although unlike some others on here I will at least give this lad the benefit of the doubt I can't see the logic in this.

Tavernier is by all accounts a RB, the position that we least need cover for, as when he's been picked there Foster has been the best of a poor back four for me.

Maybe he is going to play him as a RCB, but that seems a big gamble as he has no league experience there.

I can only assume poor Foster will continue in a wide midfield position and Mark Wilson's contract may not be renewed after this.

He played centre back for Newcastle once in a cup game:

Tavernier moved to Newcastle United in 2008. He made his first team debut in a 2–0 defeat against Peterborough United in the League Cup on 22 September 2009.[4]

In the 2010–11 season, he was given his first start in the 3–2 League Cup second round tie over Accrington Stanley in a team made up of youngsters and fringe players. He played in central defence and gave an impressive display. He made his Premier League debute for Newcastle as a substitute versus Reading FC[5]

Like you Graham I will wait and watch him prior to commenting, but this does seem a strange one on the face of it.

Losing faith in Del by the day it seems, and I have been a big champion of his.

Interesting from the Geordie forum

James Tavernier

Against Man utd, He was easily our man of the match. Playing left back, Now every time ive seen him play right back. He looks dodgy. The Europa game in Greece. The goal came from his side. they targeted him and got there reward. Yesterday against Reading. Both goals, Came from his side. Now he wasn't solely responsible. But he looks far more comfortable on the other flank.

AP is partly to blame. James PL debut? an away game, Not playing particularly well. Why risk exposing him. Santoon could have easily came across, Let Jonas protect James. Benny does track back sometimes. But he really isn't the type of player u want to screen such a young defender.

Archived