IGNORED

Wages...

spudski

On a flip side, do you think it's right?

I don't believe it is the fault of the players, who are often the ones who take the blame for their so called 'ridiculous' wages.

I think it's right, as long as the club can afford that amount of money through their earnings. Manchester City paying Yaya Toure and several other players hundreds of thousands a week, I think is wrong because they don't earn enough to cover it, they just have exceedingly wealth backers, but if a club like Real Madrid wants to pay Ronaldo 200K a week, when they can afford to do so on the basis of shirt sales and revenue, I think it's absolutely fine.

It's not about the amount each player gets, it's about the total, and the clubs income.

This is of course the inconvenient truth, awareness of which can reduce some of the frustration.

However, my annoyance with the operation of the club is its complete failure to behave like others do in similar circumstances - e.g.

1/ signing two strikers when one would have done

2/ seemingly content to replace before we offload

3/ never ending series of loan-signings rather than taking a chance on a youngster

Again - look at Yannick - wait years to replace Mcindoe then sign Woolford, then Yannick, then Pearson, then Anderson - four players for one position but for our central midfield frailties - give Yannick the odd cameo appearance - neither commit to him nor give up on him - he decides when its time to move on - plays every week for similarly financially challenged club

It is not his case in particular that gives me cause for complaint it is that this is symptomatic of wasteful resource management, meaning less of our limited budget is put to good use earning points than other clubs in our position.

Our limited budget might mean a probable outcome of between 12th and 24th but our management limits that range to 18th (or 22nd I fear) to 24th.

Very well put... Wish i could put across posts so eloquently.

This is of course the inconvenient truth, awareness of which can reduce some of the frustration.

However, my annoyance with the operation of the club is its complete failure to behave like others do in similar circumstances - e.g.

3/ never ending series of loan-signings rather than taking a chance on a youngster

Again - look at Yannick - wait years to replace Mcindoe then sign Woolford, then Yannick, then Pearson, then Anderson - four players for one position but for our central midfield frailties - give Yannick the odd cameo appearance - neither commit to him nor give up on him - he decides when its time to move on - plays every week for similarly financially challenged club

It is not his case in particular that gives me cause for complaint it is that this is symptomatic of wasteful resource management, meaning less of our limited budget is put to good use earning points than other clubs in our position.

Our limited budget might mean a probable outcome of between 12th and 24th but our management limits that range to 18th (or 22nd I fear) to 24th.

This is what I was trying to say on the cisse thread. Why sign Baldock when we already have pitman. Why loan in player after player what's our youth team development squad for?

The club just chuck money down the drain non stop and then we get told got to cut back, who put us in this situation in the first place?

We needed 2 goal scorers as we didn't have one at the club,

We could of signed one and he could of got crocked and injured like maynard did 2 years ago which would leave us in even more shite then we are already in,

1. Brett Pitman

2. The season that Brett Pitman was top scorer and we finished a relatively comfortable 15th?

I rate both Baldock and Davies very highly, but we simply did not need to spend big money on two forwards. Had we only signed one, we would have a frontline of Stead, Pitman, Taylor and one of Davies or Baldock. Compare that in strength to our our options in the middle of midfield or defence.

1. Brett Pitman

2. The season that Brett Pitman was top scorer and we finished a relatively comfortable 15th?

I rate both Baldock and Davies very highly, but we simply did not need to spend big money on two forwards. Had we only signed one, we would have a frontline of Stead, Pitman, Taylor and one of Davies or Baldock. Compare that in strength to our our options in the middle of midfield or defence.

Been banging this drum for what seems an eternity. It's always been far too easy at this club to waste the chairmans money, it has been the failure of this manager and previous managers to wheel and deal properly in the market that still sees us with a midfield and defence that should be operating in League 1.

Lots you could say, totally agree about-

You could add not making the most of what we already have at our disposal, poor scouting, signing a procession of very ordinary 'experienced' players etc. For a club with our resources, we have to make sure that every signing actually improves the squad, and work with a smaller tight-knit squad supported by youth players.

1. Brett Pitman

pitman is crap I don't rate him he's lazy and need 8 chances to score 1,

he scored 13 goals in 30 appearance 2 years ago and 7 in about the same number of appearnace,

We started with pitman we wouldn't of scored half the goals we have he has no pace he is weak in the air and he can't pass

Rate Baldock and Davies way above Pitman he can take a good corner/free kick but his team work rate is awful a few fleeting appearances this season but not really cut out for Championship football.

Carey taken part in 9 games already more than i thought he would make all season, ok mainly down to injuries and a terrible defence. Jody Morris i really can't understand why he was signed in the 1st place except to compete with the ever injured Kilkenny in a woeful midfield....

Surely somewhere there is a Rob Newman type local youngster who won't bust the bank yet can play to a decent level and want to play,its obvious that throwing pots of money eg David James the shining example is not going to work its either building a team where at least 3/4 are of the required standard able to perform most weeks with a few squad players to replace injured or out of form players or face another 6/7 seasons in League 1..

pitman is crap I don't rate him he's lazy and need 8 chances to score 1,

he scored 13 goals in 30 appearance 2 years ago and 7 in about the same number of appearnace,

We started with pitman we wouldn't of scored half the goals we have he has no pace he is weak in the air and he can't pass

Weak in the air?

Can't pass?

Needs eight chances to score one?

I'm not sure which of those points is the worst.

I'm not saying Pitman is as good a player as Davies or Baldock, although he is nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make out, but he has shown he can score goals at this level and he is more than good enough to play a role in our squad as a 3rd/4th choice striker.

The bottom line is we are a club that is financially challenged compared to our rivals in this league and yet over the summer we voluntarily got ourselves into a position that we have a capable and high earning striker as fifth choice while our defence and midfield need serious work. (And have for quite a while).

Bottom 6 budget bottom 6 team. Sooner people realise this the better.

Spudski - keep talking to the people you are fella cos i got the told the exact same info as you regards to Mcmanus and Bikey's wages and my source was as good as straight from our board room.

so you believe swansea and blackpool, who got promoted (!!!) on much smaller budgets than ours must have been, by your definition, bottom 2 teams? people need to realise that losing 12m a year, signing countless loan players, paying anderson and morris to do nothing etc etc etc is NOT the activity of a team with a "bottom 6" budget!

both pitman and stead turned down moves to the prem, to come to us! what do you think the reason for that was, the chance to play under millen???!!! or CASH

Weak in the air?

Can't pass?

Needs eight chances to score one?

I'm not sure which of those points is the worst.

I'm not saying Pitman is as good a player as Davies or Baldock, although he is nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make out, but he has shown he can score goals at this level and he is more than good enough to play a role in our squad as a 3rd/4th choice striker.

The bottom line is we are a club that is financially challenged compared to our rivals in this league and yet over the summer we voluntarily got ourselves into a position that we have a capable and high earning striker as fifth choice while our defence and midfield need serious work. (And have for quite a while).

he's not even making the bench that shows how well thought of he is,

the guy can finish thats it thats the only thing to his game

he had ample chances to prove me wrong last season he didn't,

he could of filled maynards boots (our top goal scorer last season) he didnt

The guy is league 1 at best,

he's not even making the bench that shows how well thought of he is,

the guy can finish thats it thats the only thing to his game

he had ample chances to prove me wrong last season he didn't,

he could of filled maynards boots (our top goal scorer last season) he didnt

The guy is league 1 at best,

Are you even reading what I'm writing?!

I've described him as our '5th choice striker', that would hint at the fact I am aware he isn't making the bench.

I'll repeat again. He has shown he is capable of scoring goals at this level and is more than good enough to be a squad player in our team in the way that Stead is at the moment. Yet the manager decides to spend time, effort and money purchashing two expensive strikers when we only needed one. Thus leaving Pitman as a discarded member of the squad, only allowed a 5 minute run out in games that Davies and Baldock start together.

Now it is far too simplistic to say 'if we hadn't signed y, we could have signed z', and I am aware that many people are suggesting that we may have missed out on targets in defence. But the facts remain we have 5 strikers (four of which will almost definitely be amongst the top earners in the squad) and yet we still have glaring weaknesses in our midfield and relying on a loan player to attempt to shore up our defence.

Lastly, what has made you change your mind from Pitman needing to 8 chances to score a goal to 'the guy can finish'?

Archived