IGNORED

Gerken Starts!

GrahamC

I am a massive Heaton fan and was truly flabbergasted to see he wasn't starting...

However, we all know Del likes to change the team and with us conceeding so many (although the goals haven't been Heatons fault) maybe its worth a gamble? A different voice at the back, who knows. Also, Gerken will be trying to impress so should have a lot of fight in him.

I am going to wait and see how we do before ridiculing his starting lineup because apart from Heaton I think we look fairly balanced.

What the hell is everyone's problem?

Gerken is about equal to Tom Heaton in terms of goal keeping ability, it's only right Gerken should get a chance in the team. If he doesn't play he will simply leave and then we're back to square one.

Yep, Gerken is a footballer and he wants to play, not just sit on the bench watching. If he doesn't get the chances to prove his worth he will just leave.

Gerken is not even close

There's very little between them from what we've seen. In fact you could make a strong case for Gerken looking superior at the end of last season.

Heaton hasn't played well enough to provoke all this indignation at him being left out.

There's very little between them from what we've seen. In fact you could make a strong case for Gerken looking superior at the end of last season.

Heaton hasn't played well enough to provoke all this indignation at him being left out.

Agreed.

If it was Joe Hart being dropped by McInnes I'd understand. I don't think Tom Heaton has been bad by any means, but if Gerken performs like he did at Forest then we'll stand a much better chance of not conceding any goals.

Correct.

The suggestion that there is some sort of yawning chasm between the two in terms of ability is rubbish. Heaton tends to show a little more composure and authority most of the time and his handling is arguably a bit better, but I would suggest Gerken may have slightly quicker reflexes and is a marginally better shot-stopper.

I have sympathy for Heaton, because he's by no means played badly and it would be outrageously unfair to suggest he's been one of the main reasons for our problems - but then, as far as I can see, nobody is suggesting that, not even the manager who's decided to make the change.

The bottom line is that our defence has been appalling; Heaton has been an integral part of that defence and must bear some part of the responsibility, even if not guilty of making glaring errors. Confidence is not helped by conceding so many, even if that has not been principally his fault. Gerken also did little wrong to merit being dropped: we have a second keeper for a reason - to provide competition as well as mere cover - and have lost players before by not giving the back-up keeper a fair crack of the whip.

All perfectly defensible reasons for making a change, in my book. Why all the fuss?

Correct.

The suggestion that there is some sort of yawning chasm between the two in terms of ability is rubbish. Heaton tends to show a little more composure and authority most of the time and his handling is arguably a bit better, but I would suggest Gerken may have slightly quicker reflexes and is a marginally better shot-stopper.

I have sympathy for Heaton, because he's by no means played badly and it would be outrageously unfair to suggest he's been one of the main reasons for our problems - but then, as far as I can see, nobody is suggesting that, not even the manager who's decided to make the change.

The bottom line is that our defence has been appalling; Heaton has been an integral part of that defence and must bear some part of the responsibility, even if not guilty of making glaring errors. Confidence is not helped by conceding so many, even if that has not been principally his fault. Gerken also did little wrong to merit being dropped: we have a second keeper for a reason - to provide competition as well as mere cover - and have lost players before by not giving the back-up keeper a fair crack of the whip.

All perfectly defensible reasons for making a change, in my book. Why all the fuss?

Thank you.

I was beginning to think I was...

Deluded

Archived