IGNORED

Patience

Eco

Apologies , it's just that this is the second thread where you have said Dave Bassett , on the other thread it was only his name you posted , so you will forgive me for thinking he's the mn you want.

Yes, I would like to see Bassett given a go, but he may not want us, or even be remotely interested in re-entering football management.

But the main reason I mention his name is because it is exactly his sort of management the club needs. No-nonsense, very experienced and good at getting average players to play at their best. We DO NOT want rookie managers - we need someone like Bassett - or Johnson, without the ego!

Yes, I would like to see Bassett given a go, but he may not want us, or even be remotely interested in re-entering football management.

But the main reason I mention his name is because it is exactly his sort of management the club needs. No-nonsense, very experienced and good at getting average players to play at their best. We DO NOT want rookie managers - we need someone like Bassett - or Johnson, without the ego!

So you do want Bassett ?

Back to my earlier question then , would you really give the job to a man who has not been a number 1 for 7 years (if he wanted it of course)

That's unquestionably simplistic and extremely naive, but sums up why we've failed to progress. This genuflection towards the emperor has allowed someone with undeniably poor judgement to lead us from one disaster to the next. Many teams are prospering in the championship without a benefactor as wealthy as Lansdown and we could do similarly.

It's not naive,it's reality.

Strange no one was bringing up disaster etc 6 weeks ago. People on here were raving about everything BCFC and SL when we were in the top 6 in September.

Explain to me how we could become a force in this league with home support of 12,000 and no financial backer.

Seem to remember we went on a similar bad run when GJ started, there were muppets on here spouting the usual totally original out of his depth/taxi for etc etc quotes then. It was turned around that season and look what happened thereafter.

Not saying this will be replicated, hopefully it will, but surely the lesson learned is to have a bit of patience and lay off the keyboard angst.

That'll be a dream come true if the early Gary Johnson era is replicated. Just after our promotion and before the start of our first season back in the Championship, Gary Johnson signed Marvin Elliott and his Millwall buddy Darren Byfield. Inspired signings they were that almost helped bring top flight football back to AG. In contrast, Del and Doc have signed some class goal scorers this season but have neglected strengthening our central midfield and central defence. I just have the feeling that we may have up to 10 more points had we kept Bikey in our defence and signed a competent central midfielder.

That'll be a dream come true if the early Gary Johnson era is replicated. Just after our promotion and before the start of our first season back in the Championship, Gary Johnson signed Marvin Elliott and his Millwall buddy Darren Byfield. Inspired signings they were that almost helped bring top flight football back to AG. In contrast, Del and Doc have signed some class goal scorers this season but have neglected strengthening our central midfield and central defence. I just have the feeling that we may have up to 10 more points had we kept Bikey in our defence and signed a competent central midfielder.

looking at millwall -no way better than us 6 weeks ago then go and sign danny shittu albeit on loan the type of player we needed and look at em now!

How is it to do with budget? McInnes has had money to spend - he just chose to strengthen areas that didn't need strengthening and ignored areas (defence, CM) that seriously needed work. If I were Mr Lansdown, I'd be feeling a little short-changed with what the last 3 managers have brought to this club (that doesn't include GJ, who was the best manager we've had since the 70s)

I think you're forgetting the legend Terry Cooper - 1982 - 1988, the most enjoyable time for me since the First Division days - we as fans expected so little as our Club nearly went out of existence but achieved a great deal under Cooper - Promotion and a trip to Wembly in 1986. Perhaps today we're expecting too much.

I think you're forgetting the legend Terry Cooper - 1982 - 1988, the most enjoyable time for me since the First Division days - we as fans expected so little as our Club nearly went out of existence but achieved a great deal under Cooper - Promotion and a trip to Wembly in 1986. Perhaps today we're expecting too much.

Yeah, granted TC was a top manager and I have fond memories of those days. I still think GJ pips him tho, with almost two consecutive promotions and 90 minutes away from the Prem

Personally for me I guess I just expected a little more than the position we find ourselves in now,maybe naively so, who knows, but I really didn't think we'd end up second from bottom come November, Especially after our great start against Palace, Cardiff etc - I'm a positive fan but even I'm genuinely worrying now........

It's not naive,it's reality.

Strange no one was bringing up disaster etc 6 weeks ago. People on here were raving about everything BCFC and SL when we were in the top 6 in September.

Explain to me how we could become a force in this league with home support of 12,000 and no financial backer.

Without intending to inflame things, didn't Blackpool do ok for a while without investing too much?

Seriously, we cannot keep firing managers at the rate we do. We have to give McInnes a chance to turn this round. Our central defence and central midfield badly need strengthening,we all know this, but what we really need right now is a bit of luck! A 1-0 win against Birmingham through a lucky goal could start us on the road to recovery. I'm extremely disappointed with how things are at the moment, and very worried, but we can't just sack McInnes and hope it'll solve all our problems.

This club needs a long-term vision, and we are in a process of rebuilding. Who would we bring in to replace the manager anyway? McInnes is a good, up and coming young manager and we need to support him. I'm sick of reading all these comments on here about sacking him - what happens then?! Who the hell do we bring in? We're a bottom 6 Championship team and we are not a particularly attractive proposition at the moment. McInnes is rebuilding the youth set-up, he's brought in him own men... We'd have to pay half of them off if we sacked him. We've got to get behind him and the team and hope we can pull through.

I still think Del is right for the job, but I don't think anyone can deny we're in the mire here. I think some of this poor run has to be put down to injuries and loss of form- Cunningham has been a big loss and you can't legislate for Fontaine going from competent to a train wreck. He obviously tried to get a centre half and failed, it happens. As for not addressing problems, we didn't score goals last season so he bough strikers. We were terrible at left back, he brought a great left back in. We needed a new no1 so he got a sought after keeper. The only area he's neglected has been central midfield and to be fair he did bring in Morris so perhaps he's primarily guilty of having too much faith in our current players. Let's face it, he wouldn't be the first to feel he can get the most out of the perennially underachieving Skuse. The one thing I can't stand is the constant tinkering with shape; I understand why certain players might be employed in certain roles to combat certain opposition, but footballers are simple beasts and need structure. If he wants to persist with 442, let's have two attacking wingers, two solid players in CM (Elliot and either Skuse or Morris is the best we can do) and let two strikers (Davies and Baldock) develop an understanding

This is a very interesting topic, I was talking to someone who used to be involved with the club ref the current wages structure and guessed think that the wage bill for the entire club (i.e. not just playing staff etc.) is somewhere in the region of 15-16 Million pounds per annum. If this is the case and if we sign more players without off loading players we will surely be in breach of the financial fair play rules that are due to be enforced in our division next season.

If this happens we will not only face a huge fine but also potentially a points deduction and a transfer embargo . . . . .

I don't pretend to know a huge amount about this topic and I'm happy to be guided/corrected by other more informed members of this forum, but I thought that I would raise this issue as this may be why Steve Lansdown isn't just buying us out of this crisis.

This is a very interesting topic, I was talking to someone who used to be involved with the club ref the current wages structure and guessed think that the wage bill for the entire club (i.e. not just playing staff etc.) is somewhere in the region of 15-16 Million pounds per annum. If this is the case and if we sign more players without off loading players we will surely be in breach of the financial fair play rules that are due to be enforced in our division next season.

If this happens we will not only face a huge fine but also potentially a points deduction and a transfer embargo . . . . .

I don't pretend to know a huge amount about this topic and I'm happy to be guided/corrected by other more informed members of this forum, but I thought that I would raise this issue as this may be why Steve Lansdown isn't just buying us out of this crisis.

When Sexstone said we had to cut the wage bill , when the accounts were published last year , our wage bill was £15.9M.

You're spot on about not being able to buy our wage out of trouble and is why it is ridiculous when people complain about not signing players who command / demand £20K per week.

It doesn't explain why we have brought in players who don't play mind you !!

I still think Del is right for the job, but I don't think anyone can deny we're in the mire here. I think some of this poor run has to be put down to injuries and loss of form- Cunningham has been a big loss and you can't legislate for Fontaine going from competent to a train wreck. He obviously tried to get a centre half and failed, it happens. As for not addressing problems, we didn't score goals last season so he bough strikers. We were terrible at left back, he brought a great left back in. We needed a new no1 so he got a sought after keeper. The only area he's neglected has been central midfield and to be fair he did bring in Morris so perhaps he's primarily guilty of having too much faith in our current players. Let's face it, he wouldn't be the first to feel he can get the most out of the perennially underachieving Skuse. The one thing I can't stand is the constant tinkering with shape; I understand why certain players might be employed in certain roles to combat certain opposition, but footballers are simple beasts and need structure. If he wants to persist with 442, let's have two attacking wingers, two solid players in CM (Elliot and either Skuse or Morris is the best we can do) and let two strikers (Davies and Baldock) develop an understanding

:clap:

Neat summary of our season so far, and what Del seems to have been trying to do with his transfer activity. Injuries, and changes in form, will always play a part in team selection (and god knows we are missing Greg C) but if Del has the confidence that he says he has in his players he should be setting us up to play to our strengths a little more, and to combat the strengths of the opposition a little less IMO. Perhaps, when Greg returns, and the likes of Marv get an injury-free run. we will see a little less tinkering (which will no doubt lead to some fans responding to defeats by accusing players of becoming complacent).

Pretty much agree with all that. Especially the tinkering.

Archived