IGNORED

Bobby Reid?

!james

More of a question to anyone who has watched the reserves/development squad play, is Bobby Reid potentially a decent player for us? I have not seen much of him, but in a lot of the development squad match reports he seems to produce a lot of goals and assists but I know this is a different standard of football.

The situation we are in now is far from ideal to start trying untested youngsters, although Joe Bryan seemed to rise to it when he was thrown in against Leicester last season… Are we in a situation now where the midfielders we use have been given enough chances and are constantly failing to deliver – Skuse, Kilkenny, Pearson etc…

What are people's thoughts on him? In the long term he could do with some playing time in League Two or the Conference like Joe Bryan had, but is he potentially good enough to come off the bench or even add new blood to the first team?

Until we "start trying untested youngsters" the situation will always remain "far from ideal to start trying untested youngsters"

Soon after relegation in 1999 and the ill-conceived Pulis Revolution - our chief scout added some young non-league transfers to the great youth-development work carried out by the illustrious Benny and we ended the season at Wembley with a young hungry team built around Tinnion and Scotty.

Unfortunately, Danny Wilson was appointed that summer and immediately set about demolishing these foundations and replacing with an endless procession of journeymen. I saw someone else on here recalling that he had been listening to Directors talking of founding the future of the club on youth-development for more than 40 years - I share his despair

Until we "start trying untested youngsters" the situation will always remain "far from ideal to start trying untested youngsters"

Soon after relegation in 1999 and the ill-conceived Pulis Revolution - our chief scout added some young non-league transfers to the great youth-development work carried out by the illustrious Benny and we ended the season at Wembley with a young hungry team built around Tinnion and Scotty.

Unfortunately, Danny Wilson was appointed that summer and immediately set about demolishing these foundations and replacing with an endless procession of journeymen. I saw someone else on here recalling that he had been listening to Directors talking of founding the future of the club on youth-development for more than 40 years - I share his despair

Aaron Brown Danny Coles Simon Clist Matt Hill, Joe Burnell, Tommy D, Louis Carey all stayed in the team under Danny Wilson

Aaron Brown Danny Coles Simon Clist Matt Hill, Joe Burnell, Tommy D, Louis Carey all stayed in the team under Danny Wilson

And why let facts get in the way of the (still) pointless and needless assassination of Danny Wilson

It's years ago, lets move on (other than the Lita/Cardiff thing, which still needs explaining to me!)

And why let facts get in the way of the (still) pointless and needless assassination of Danny Wilson

It's years ago, lets move on (other than the Lita/Cardiff thing, which still needs explaining to me!)

yea I forgot about Steve Phillips as well (although he was signed from paulton),

As for ried I base my judgement on the fact he's now 21? and not getting a look in or even another sniff of a loan move (he failed to make the grade in his loan move last season),

I think he will go the ways of Jackson, Plummer, Artis, and so may other youngsters who the fans demand to see only for them to turn out to be not that good

yea I forgot about Steve Phillips as well (although he was signed from paulton),

As for ried I base my judgement on the fact he's now 21? and not getting a look in or even another sniff of a loan move (he failed to make the grade in his loan move last season),

I think he will go the ways of Jackson, Plummer, Artis, and so may other youngsters who the fans demand to see only for them to turn out to be not that good

he is 19...

he is 19...

thanks I wasn't sure,

unlike Bryan and Edwards who have forced themselfs into the managers thinking over the last 12 months Reid hasn't which is why I am thinking like I am,

I think the same will happen with Aaron Holloway as well

Not sure this is entirely accurate.

The only players I remember coming from non-league were Steve Phillips, who was signed a couple of years before the period you're referring to, and Ben Wright, who came to nothing.

The group of managers who succeeded Pulis did bring in some young players but the spine of the side was still very experienced: Mercer, Millen, Carey, Bell, Holland, Tinnion, Murray, Thorpe, Beadle, whilst of the young players from that side Jordan, Hill and Brown had played under Benny and the others such as Burnell, Clist, Spencer and Meechan were not regulars.

Wilson brought a few, such as Burnell and Clist into the first team and blooded others (Coles, Jones, Fortune, Amankwaah, Hawkins, Lita) so it's unfair in the extreme to claim that Wilson "demolished foundations".

Wilson had a lot of faults and I'm not here to defend him, but neither the post-Pulis, nor the Wilson sides were made up largely of youngsters. Both had strong, experienced spines.

Not sure this is entirely accurate.

The only players I remember coming from non-league were Steve Phillips, who was signed a couple of years before the period you're referring to, and Ben Wright, who came to nothing.

The group of managers who succeeded Pulis did bring in some young players but the spine of the side was still very experienced: Mercer, Millen, Carey, Bell, Holland, Tinnion, Murray, Thorpe, Beadle, whilst of the young players from that side Jordan, Hill and Brown had played under Benny and the others such as Burnell, Clist, Spencer and Meechan were not regulars.

Wilson brought a few, such as Burnell and Clist into the first team and blooded others (Coles, Jones, Fortune, Amankwaah, Hawkins, Lita) so it's unfair in the extreme to claim that Wilson "demolished foundations".

Wilson had a lot of faults and I'm not here to defend him, but neither the post-Pulis, nor the Wilson sides were made up largely of youngsters. Both had strong, experienced spines.

Carey was a youngster in Wilson's term

We always hear " we can't blood youngsters" when were on a bad run.

I for one feel that we have to give them a chance, get him in, the crowd will respond to him,we always do to one of our own.

like Myre-Williams who got torrid abuse while here

It's easy to pick out a random one, I and many thousand of others didn't abuse him.

Do we stop giving youngsters a chance because that happened,I don't think so.

no generally they haven't been good enough and apart from 1 youngster every other one that has been reliesed generally don't play at this level,

Reid like Jackson, Artus, Edwards had a chance to prove himself on loan last season at Cheltenham, he never made it to the first team, where as Artus did and went on to sign for them Jackson has fould a bit of sucsess at Hereford, Edwards is getting good reviews at yeovil,

He is 19 on the face of it no club is intrested do we weaken our midfield further on the off chance he might be good or do we try and find him a loan where he can play the mans games (no matter how you dress it up reserve team football is worse the the toolstation league),

Chucking him in here will not work and the already over run midfield will be alot worse

Carey was a youngster in Wilson's term

He made his debut under Joe Jordan about 5 years before Wilson took over. He may have been young in as much as he was under 24, but he was hardly inexperienced and very much one of the senior pros rather than a fresh-face youngster. He had over 160 appearances under his belt by the time Wilson took over.

Carey certainly counts as one of the biggest successes of the youth scheme at City (it's really stretching it to call him an academy graduate) but he featured numerous times under Jordan, Ward, Benny, Pulis and Fawthrop/Burnside/Rosenior so it's no surprise Wilson played him.

I can't see the harm in giving him a run from the bench for a couple of games to see how he fairs. Most likely we will be chasing the game anyway so i really don't see what we would have to lose.

Id feel a lot more inspired to see someone like young Reid get a run out than yet another chance for Kilkenny to demand the ball and then ping it 5 yards sideways or backwards.

I for one feel that we have to give them a chance, get him in, the crowd will respond to him,we always do to one of our own.

When are we not on a bad run?!

I agree, get him in, at least he'll go past people and be good to watch. We can't do any worse than lose every week so why not?

We can't play him because he might have one bad game once and be forced to spend the rest of his career here being reminded that he isn't ready for first team football.

Much easier to play Skuse and Pearson and stick with the same old routine and expect a different outcome.

no generally they haven't been good enough and apart from 1 youngster every other one that has been reliesed generally don't play at this level,

Reid like Jackson, Artus, Edwards had a chance to prove himself on loan last season at Cheltenham, he never made it to the first team, where as Artus did and went on to sign for them Jackson has fould a bit of sucsess at Hereford, Edwards is getting good reviews at yeovil,

He is 19 on the face of it no club is intrested do we weaken our midfield further on the off chance he might be good or do we try and find him a loan where he can play the mans games (no matter how you dress it up reserve team football is worse the the toolstation league),

Chucking him in here will not work and the already over run midfield will be alot worse

Ok, we won't bother then!

After all, we don't want to let one of our young'uns be given a chance do we!

Lets keep going out and getting loanee after loanee like we have for the last 5 years, it's obviously working well.

Only time I saw him was a couple of seasons ago last game of the season vs hull. Looked very tidy but the one thing that stood out wad that of he was to make it, he would need to bulk up. he looked like a boy playing in a man's league in stature, not so much ability.

Having not seen him since then can anyone say if this is the case? Has he grown at all? I think this would be GIS biggest problem at an age where he needs to start making an impact.

Messi wouldn't be the player he was today if he had not taken stuff at a young age to build himself up, all legal of course.

I agree. Younger players aren't going to force their way into the side when it's playing well (unless maybe as an end-of-season nothing-to-play-for experiment) so you'll have to play them when questions are being asked of the regular first teamers.

If the club thinks Reid isn't good enough for this level, they should never have retained him. If they think he might be, let him show it now, as we try and get it right midfield.

He's pacy isn't he? Might just shake up our oh-so-pedestrian and predictable build-up play.

Remember every player was untried once.

Only time I saw him was a couple of seasons ago last game of the season vs hull. Looked very tidy but the one thing that stood out wad that of he was to make it, he would need to bulk up. he looked like a boy playing in a man's league in stature, not so much ability.

Having not seen him since then can anyone say if this is the case? Has he grown at all? I think this would be GIS biggest problem at an age where he needs to start making an impact.

Messi wouldn't be the player he was today if he had not taken stuff at a young age to build himself up, all legal of course.

He reminds me a bit of Thomas Ince, same wiry physique. Thought I'd compare their build, have discovered that Ince is 5'10'' however Reid's height is bizarrely missing in player profiles on the new awesomely improved City website, maybe he's still growing.

He reminds me a bit of Thomas Ince, same wiry physique. Thought I'd compare their build, have discovered that Ince is 5'10'' however Reid's height is bizarrely missing in player profiles on the new awesomely improved City website, maybe he's still growing.

According to Wiki he's 5' 7

Archived