IGNORED

Sunderland's Mcclean Refuses To Wear Poppy

TinnionForEngland

Yes they're entitled to make a choice for themselves - they chose to wear it. That's just a matter of personal opinion.

And he actively chose not to wear one, despite the fact thousands of Sunderland supporter's families undoubtedly lost their lives during the war, and maybe he should be reminded that up to 200,000 irishmen went to war and 30,000 never returned, but this boy has actually brought a minder over from Ireland to look after him, and now you can see why.

So you think he should have been forced to where one?

I think he should have respect for those that died in the same way everybody else had respect, i think this is more about his own ego than it is anything else, it would be daft to suggest otherwise after reading this article http://www.guardian....d-martin-oneill

It's an emotive subject , but as has been pointed out , it's a personal choice. There will be plenty inside AG today without one.

Including myself, but i haven't actively REFUSED to wear one, he has chosen to wear an alternative without one, whilst every other player in the premier league has worn one.

It's still his personal choice. As my Mum used to say "Just because everyone else does it , doesn't mean you have to" !!

Any particular reason you don't wear a poppy. Not a dig , just asking as this McClean thing seems to have pushed your buttons.

Players such as Podolski, Mertesacker, Riether, Huth and Hitzelsperger were all happy to wear poppy's, would they not of been just as obliged not to?

All of whom would be related no doubt to men and/or women who fought in either WW1 or WW2. McClean may have had relatives who suffered at the hands of the British during The Troubles, and as such this may have influenced his decision. Pure speculation I know, but may explain his actions. Either way he is entitled to his decision.

If he doesn't agree with it, he doesn't agree with it. Those that fought gave him that choice.

Who is to say the British Army affected his family in some bad way in the past, there were plenty of atrocities in NI from both sides. He may have a Damn good reason not to support it.

Today is the 94th anniversary of Armistice Day when the "War to End All Wars" eventually came to an end. As I understand it, the Poppy is symbolic of the foreign fields (notably the Somme) on which so many (mainly conscripted men rather than professional soldiers) died as a direct consequence of the outdated (they hoped) Imperialist politics of the day, and was intended as a demonstration / reminder of the futility of war, in hope it would never happen again.

It is therefore IMO very sad that the Poppy has become more associated with the support of British armed forces fighting current battles abroad than with highlighting the futility of war BUT this is undeniably the case. I have little doubt that Afghanistan will feature highly in the pre-match ritual at Ashton Gate this afternoon just as the troubles in Northern Ireland featured heavily in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Against this background it is not surprising to me that many of an Irish Republican persuasion (whether raised in Derry / Londonderry or not) are unwilling to participate. And in case I am inviting this response, it has precisely nothing to do with willingness to live and earn a living on the UK mainland.

Without the option of non-participation (without criticism) - participation is meaningless.

Today is the 94th anniversary of Armistice Day when the "War to End All Wars" eventually came to an end. As I understand it, the Poppy is symbolic of the foreign fields (notably the Somme) on which so many (mainly conscripted men rather than professional soldiers) died as a direct consequence of the outdated (they hoped) Imperialist politics of the day, and was intended as a demonstration / reminder of the futility of war, in hope it would never happen again.

It is therefore IMO very sad that the Poppy has become more associated with the support of British armed forces fighting current battles abroad than with highlighting the futility of war BUT this is undeniably the case. I have little doubt that Afghanistan will feature highly in the pre-match ritual at Ashton Gate this afternoon just as the troubles in Northern Ireland featured heavily in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Against this background it is not surprising to me that many of an Irish Republican persuasion (whether raised in Derry / Londonderry or not) are unwilling to participate. And in case I am inviting this response, it has precisely nothing to do with willingness to live and earn a living on the UK mainland.

Without the option of non-participation (without criticism) - participation is meaningless.

Indeed.

To turn political correctness around for a moment it has almost become pc to wear a poppy these days.

I always buy a poppy to commemorate those who died in WW1 on the Somme, Passchendaele etc. but McLean has every right to decide not to.

I always buy a poppy, but thing that annoys me is the way people are forced to wear one. Perfect example tv, every single person on tv now wears a poppy for in the past people have complained they haven't and now it's politically correct to wear one. Why can't people have a choice of wearing it, go shopping and don't buy a poppy say you've got one already and get told why your not wearing it and made to feel bad. I wear it on the 11th that's rememberance day you don't have your Easter eggs before Easter or Xmas presents on the 18th December. People should be allowed to have a choice and not to be made to feel they have to wear one.

I think he should have respect for those that died in the same way everybody else had respect, i think this is more about his own ego than it is anything else, it would be daft to suggest otherwise after reading this article http://www.guardian....d-martin-oneill

One of the things people fought for, was the right to make their own decisions. You could argue that making the free choice not to wear a poppy, also respects the achievement of the fallen.

All of whom would be related no doubt to men and/or women who fought in either WW1 or WW2. McClean may have had relatives who suffered at the hands of the British during The Troubles, and as such this may have influenced his decision. Pure speculation I know, but may explain his actions. Either way he is entitled to his decision.

And plenty of his own fellow Countrymen died in the two world wars

Archived