IGNORED

Message From The Troops

Tom Fleuriot

So, so true that I thought it well worth pasting it all into this thread.

"I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you and Bristol City Football Club for our excellent reception and support on Remembrance Sunday.

The support from the crowd was amazing and, to a man, the soldiers walked a foot taller that day with pride.

The team on the day were not so fortunate.

It got me to philosophising afterwards about what support means; to bear the weight for, endow, to help are among the many definitions.

As soldiers, we count on the support of each other, whatever the situation. We have to know that someone is watching our back at all times and believing in us.

The effect of the support from the crowd for us as soldiers at Ashton Gate on Sunday gave me some idea of what it must be like to be a football team with the full support and backing of the crowd. I was at the last two home games last season and have seen the positive effect that it can have when transferred to the players on the pitch.

I can only imagine the negative effect of the crowd on the players when that support isn’t there. It must magnify any small error causing players to take fewer risks and stifling their creativity.

In my profession, if this was happening the battle would be lost before it had begun. Morale plays such a key part in all we do. Supporting is all about being there, not criticising, bearing the weight and having faith in that which you support. Sometimes I don’t think the fans realise the impact that they, as the twelfth man have upon the teams’ performance.

RSM Pat Burgess."

He mentions having faith and not critisising and believing in them. That's all well and good over a short period of time, but when it is the same old failings year after year, you lose all those feelings and beliefs.

All well and good when it's backs to the wall and last man standing...but week in, week out, season after season...same old excuses.

I'm sure they wouldn't feel that way if their superiors kept ******* up every year and at every battle.

Yes...you would each look out for one another as a team. I haven't seen our players do that for a long time though. Dig in and battle...don't make me laugh.

It's time BCFC and it's players stood up and stopped blaming circumstance and situation.

Then the Supporters will support. Right now...it's not going to happen. Too many broken promises and let downs. It's like flogging a dead horse.

Every City fan i know feels this way...

He mentions having faith and not critisising and believing in them. That's all well and good over a short period of time, but when it is the same old failings year after year, you lose all those feelings and beliefs.

All well and good when it's backs to the wall and last man standing...but week in, week out, season after season...same old excuses.

I'm sure they wouldn't feel that way if their superiors kept ******* up every year and at every battle.

Yes...you would each look out for one another as a team. I haven't seen our players do that for a long time though. Dig in and battle...don't make me laugh.

It's time BCFC and it's players stood up and stopped blaming circumstance and situation.

Then the Supporters will support. Right now...it's not going to happen. Too many broken promises and let downs. It's like flogging a dead horse.

What, like the fact we had problems, and didn't sweep all before us in Afghanistan, Iraq, World War One, World War Two, the Hundred Years War, the Napoleonic Wars, the Crimea?

The entire strength of the army is built on support irrespective of what the superiors are doing. Otherwise you get mutiny.

=

In my profession, if this was happening the battle would be lost before it had begun...

RSM Pat Burgess."

It works both ways - support from the fans will get a reaction from the players like it did at the end of last season.

What, like the fact we had problems, and didn't sweep all before us in Afghanistan, Iraq, World War One, World War Two, the Hundred Years War, the Napoleonic Wars, the Crimea?

The entire strength of the army is built on support irrespective of what the superiors are doing. Otherwise you get mutiny.

Bit of a strange post... Mutiny in the ranks...it would never happen at BCFC...surely ? :surrender:

=

It works both ways - support from the fans will get a reaction from the players like it did at the end of last season.

Yes...it will over a short period of time... a few games to get out of jail, when it's backs to the walls.

The reason the support is shite, is because of the continual crap over the past few seasons. Same old mistakes...from all.

Wasn't shite at the end of last season. I'm thinking Coventry and Barnsley in particular. I'm glad in those games the support outweighed the negativity.

I understand it must be hard for a season ticket holder, which is why it seems simple to me, because I'm not a ST holder, but from the way you are talking if the ground is full of people with that mentality on Saturday, the game is already as good as lost.

It's the age old argument, if they want our support they need to give us something to cheer about. However at the end of the day positive support will help the players, getting on their backs and spreading negativity has the opposite effect, makes them nervous and leads to mistakes.

I know it's hard as its very difficult when things are going like they are, but if we want to turn things around everyone needs to try. Also, it's not like the players aren't trying, that would be a different situation, but even though they may not be playing well I do feel at least they are putting the effort in.

Tbh... I think considering the performances over the past few seasons, the players and board at the Club have received very little negative shouts or chants or Boo's from the crowd at AG. I think they've been very fortunate considering.

Forums like these, let fans vent their frustrations...where as in the past, fans let it all go at the football.

Yes...it is very quiet...and i know some people try to create an atmosphere... but fans really need to believe in the product they are watching. Most just sit quietly or shout out their frustrations.

On the topic of vocal support... I like many others like to sit quietly ( would prefer to stand ) and watch the game unfold. I've noticed more and more people prefer to do this. I thought it maybe an age thing...but i see plenty of youth who do the same.

Is it down to sitting do you think? It takes a lot for me to get excited and sing or shout at the footy these days. In fact i feel a right nonse for doing it now. So i dont....Strange i used to love it back in the day.

I think across the board, football grounds in the UK are quieter than they used to be with a few exceptions.

I think across the board, football grounds in the UK are quieter than they used to be with a few exceptions.

Yes even the sags are quiet,and they were the most loyal ,noisiest, most passionate fans in the country,no! make that the world.

Archived