IGNORED

Barcelona

TRL

I notice Catalonia is now looking to become fully independent from Spain.

Begs a interesting question.. would Barcelona and other Catalan clubs pull out of the Spanish league. Would all the Catalan players pull out of the Spanish squad and play for the new Catalonia team? Now I know not all Barcelona home grown talent is not Catalonian, but a fair chunk are.

Certainly could throw the cat amongst the pidgons if it were to happen.

There is already a Catalonian team isn't there, managed by Cruyff?

Yep, and a lot of current Spanish internationals play for it as well :). It just isn't sanctioned by FIFA.. that could all change if it does break away.

One of the French papers said if they get kicked out of, or don't wish to play in, the Spanish league, they will play in the French league. Can't see it myself.

Although Catalonia doesn't lye just in Spain. The nearby to me French towns of Narbonne and Perpignan are Catalonian, indeed the Catalonian Dragons rugby league team are based in Perpignan and play some games in Barcelona.

The movement has really taken off in the last 6 months, when you cross the border into Spain, or should I say Catalonia, there are thousands of Catalonian independence flags flying from every house.

Archived