IGNORED

Drop Heaton

Prestbury c of c

I'm certainly not blaming Heaton for this mess, and I dont think anyone else is. One of the main things that has been put across is that despite all of Heaton's plus points, the defence has looked more assured when Gerken has been between the sticks and that has been the case since, the run in last season, given that we have yet to keep a clean sheet and Heaton as noted has been part of a defence that has conceded 4, 3 times this season. Give the lad a rest, play someone who as seen by Brum, is a keeper in form and go from there. We have 2 champs quality keepers, both out of contract at the end of the season, makes no sense to not alternate when we have the luxury to especially when one is in form.

My main problem with that though is gerken (apart from the seven game spell last year when he did ok) has proven time and time again he isnt cut out for this level. I guess it is just personal opinion but i have never rated him and im always expecting the next mistake. Where as heaton seems generally more solid, yes he hasnt kept a clean sheet this season but has had plenty of moments of quality and definately deserved one. On the point of gerken making the defence more assured, well i dont know about that one we have still lost games and conceded goals with him in there, hasn't made any difference imo. What we need to do is start defending, until then any keeper is going to look exposed!

Gerken's last game for us was heroic, Heaton's was shambolic.

Heaton is not the reason we lost or even individually to blame for any of the goals, but he had a poor game and could've done better. Not just my opinion, that of a number of people, city fans and the Wolves fan I know, who was of course much better placed to see the goals than us.

Now I like Heaton as a keeper and am glad he is here, but I don't see a coherent argument being advanced here against at least considering dropping him for a short while after he's had something of a nightmare. Gerken was value for money last time he came in - and Tom subsequently came back strongly.

So to sum up, I have no problem with Heaton as our #1 choice between the sticks. I think he's quality. BUT after he's had a poor game it isn't ridiculous to suggest we could give Gerks a shout and let Tom have a respite from picking up the ball out the back of his net.

People forget Gerkins last run in goal resulted in a 5-0 tanking by Blackpool, for which Gerkin has to take credit for 3 of the goals, and anyone remember is howler of a kick against Crapdiff in that tanking? Gerkin simply never has been good enough, but he has never bitched about being the bench warmer, unlike his predecessors, which is to his credit...

How on earth was that Gerken's last run in goal?!

His last 'run' in goal was at the back end of last season where he was extremely impressive and went ubeaten. He was also drafted in for two games this year.

Also he came into the team at Blackpool after James' shambolic display against Reading. So not exactly a 'run', although I do agree he was dreadful that day.

I don't even think Heaton should be dropped, but Gerken's role in the run that kept us up last season deserves to be remembered.

is it only me that sees a major factor in our demise is the goalkeeper.He doesnt come out for crosses,doesnt come of his line and doesnt dive-what does he do?I will tell you-picks the ball out of the net 3 to 4 times a game.Bring back Gerken or we will have another Henderson scenario.This is another Fontaine situation.Keep your place regardless of form.Why did he play Gerken at Brum who i thought was man of the match?I am sick of this mickey mouse run team,44 years of following but now sadly the enthusiasm is drained away.

Mate, me & all my mates agree with you comepletely. We were discussing the very same this morning at work and cannot see the Heaton love in on this forum!

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the original post. The fact is that Heaton or Gerks would be exposed with the Plebs currently turning attack in to defence within seconds. Joe Hart would look exposed with our lot in front of him. I think Heaton is a bettter keeper than Gerks but there isn't a lot between them. At the end of it all its not our keeper thats the problem here. Del looks bemused and devoid of ideas.... I think it was about 3 mins into Saturdays game when Ebanks Blake should have scored from shocking defending within half an hour after that the game was over... what did Del do? F All! How can he let a young lad like Joe get repeatedly targeted by Wolves and not one player was instructed or could be bothered to double up with him to help out. Joe showed more nads than the lot them put together. If we had tough dominant centre half and a ball winning centre midfielder, players who lead by example who will then inspire us and the players. I think we can then stay up for sure but if the club do nothing, then it will be probably curtains for us in the Championship!

Heaton is better for me but until we sort out the midfield and defence then it makes little difference. If you give the opposition 15-20 shots a game then they will beat any keeper 3 or 4 times.

Ah, now here is the fact that makes Heaton look good. Batter any keeper with 15-20 shots a game and he'll save a dozen or more and look world class.

As I've said before I'm not a great lover of either of them, but once Heaton had been dropped for letting in 28 in 13 games, Gerkin should of had a run of at least 5 or 6.

Can't understand the great Heaton love in on here?

Was Heaton injured on Saturday as just after the 2nd goal, was it, Gerkin was stripped and ready to come on? If Del wanted to take his keeper out of the situation he could have easily then without anyone losing face. Gerkin could have replace him for a few matches and see what happened.

I'm not sure there is too much between them, on paper Heaton is the number one keeper down to experience. I think Gerkin has spent too much time in the lower leagues and as a number 2. With Heaton only contracted until the end of the season I think we could be without either of them after the summer. Gerkin is likely to stay if we are relegated and he becomes first choice but Heaton won't be part of that.

I think Heaton got his place back far too easily a couple of weeks ago too, Gerkin didn't lose it which was unfair.

yet another fully paid up member of the Dean Gerkin fan club appears....Heaton is twice the keeper useless Gerkin is/was/will ever be

It makes **** all difference who is in goal due to the utterly inept defenders we have. The fact Gerkin isnt playing is the only reason hes not getting abused as well. Gerkin along with seven or eight other members of this shambles should be kicked out as soon as possible

Spot on as always Bucks

I really cannot believe the support for Heaton.How many far post headers have dropped in?oh yea,the 92min winner for Burnley.Is he any better than Gerken.?Anyway Del will be putting jody Morris or another one of his miserable signings there any min now with his constant crap reshuffling.out of his depth and out of this league ..........................

As I mentioned after Saturday's match; if Heaton is the answer I don't know what the question is!

He has a total lack of command of his box on crosses. I don't know whether he's short, weak or just lacks confidence in himself and/or the defence (understandable). Whatever it is, the opposition has sussed it starting with Cardiff (who knew the flaw and exploited it).

Can't say I'm over enthused by Gerks either but possibly shades it. Both reasonable League 1 keepers which is very much where we're heading as a club at the moment.

Hmmm, so the case for Gerken being "crap" and "not good enough" rests on the fact that he was useless in an away game 12 months ago and as hopeless as the rest of the team in a meaningless pre-season friendly. It's an argument that ignores the fact that he has been excellent in both his appearances this season and he was very good last season when he stopped the David James rot.

And the case for retaining Heaton is he's a good keeper, rated at Cardiff and had some great games this season. Hmmmmm, I agree with that, but it ignores the fact that he had a poor game on Saturday where his lack of movement and failure to claim crosses contributed to two goals against us.

Right, so no-one has advanced any good arguments why we shouldn't rest Heaton for a game or three, so I'm sticking to that view.

Heaton is a very good shot stopper 1 on 1, probably better than Gerken. But Deano is no slouch as anyone who watched his performance against Florist last season would have to agree. Remember he was part of the spine of the team that kept us up. And in his 1 full season as our usual keeper we managed 10th place with a damned sight more clean sheets than we will achieve this season.

If you want 1 reason alone to give Deano a chance it is the way he deals with crosses compared to Heaton. Heaton is small for a goalie so tends to flap and try to punch - that is if he comes at all. Have a think about how many goals we have conceded from corners. If the keeper takes the initial cross and holds on to it the chance cf a goal conceded has gone. Cardiff knew Heaton was suspect at corners and scored 2. And they are not the only ones to have exploited this weakness.

I think Del could do worse than giving Gerken a run for a few games. Continuing to pick Fontaine every week comes to mind...!

Archived