IGNORED

Del Targets Top Of 'mini League'

hippy273

yes, we are better than this, but we can't aim for mid-table and comfortable survival until we do get out of this 'mini-league', I think Del Boy is spot on with what he's saying there, and I believe that we will get out of this 'mini-league' weeks before the end of the season

Yeah can't argue with it now. It's not what we wanted obviously but we've just got to get on with it and battle our way out of it. If (big if at the moment obviously) we can pick up some form in the next few weeks then we can hopefully be well out of trouble come February.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/061212-mcinnessheffwedpreview-529917.aspx

Just goes to show what the expectations are now, scraping ourselves out of relegation this early on. Keeping the heads above water may have positives but it isn't very positive thinking that we are in a 'mini league' to stay up. We are better than this!

He's spot on though with his comments

I dont like this mini league/ mini season bollocks. I think it puts a negative mind set in the dressing room.

I'm quite interested in the sports psychology side of motivation. What would you suggest the management do to create a more positive atmosphere in the dressing room out of interest, maybe as an alternative to the mini league comment

I dont like this mini league/ mini season bollocks. I think it puts a negative mind set in the dressing room.

I don't agree, our team seem to respond well to short term targets, we've got three of the '5' in the next month so in that sense it makes perfect sense to target those games in particular. Obviously we should be going to win every game we play, but at the moment winning the 6 pointers could prove all important.

Sad that we're talking like this again :(

http://www.bcfc.co.u...iew-529917.aspx

Just goes to show what the expectations are now, scraping ourselves out of relegation this early on. Keeping the heads above water may have positives but it isn't very positive thinking that we are in a 'mini league' to stay up. We are better than this!

No, we aren't better than this. It's about time the fans realised that 12-14k crowds is lower end championship.

That's what i mean, being in relegation generally puts a negative mindset on dressing room atmosphere and quite rightly. Aiming to finish the top of the mini league lowers expectation in a sense and won't bring about the same performances.

Sad that we're talking like this again :(

J. T. sad yes, but just relax and look past yer nose, crimbos coming if the world dont end, then the gas could go down and you could win the lottery !, said before and will say again, this is ONLY football, get a grip and enjoy your life a million miles an hour, shag for england young un x

That's what i mean, being in relegation generally puts a negative mindset on dressing room atmosphere and quite rightly. Aiming to finish the top of the mini league lowers expectation in a sense and won't bring about the same performances.

It wasn't that long ago when we were in this position and we went on a 8 match unbeaten run, so this doesn't necessarily put a negative mindset on the players. If anything, it might make some of them realise that they are a lot better than how they're playing right now, because they've shown in the past they are better than that. (Palace, Cardiff)

I've been just as critical of some of McInnes' decisions as anybody else, but what is he meant to say? 'Watch out Cardiff, we're coming for you'?

I think his quotes have been taken out of context as well. From what I understood from what he said this evening he was aiming to be top of the bottom five after the Christmas period/mid January and then obviously the next target from there would be to pull away from the threat of the relegation and have a fairly comfortable season.

I remain just as worried as anyone else whether we will be able to do this mind you.

I've been just as critical of some of McInnes' decisions as anybody else, but what is he meant to say? 'Watch out Cardiff, we're coming for you'?

I think his quotes have been taken out of context as well. From what I understood from what he said this evening he was aiming to be top of the bottom five after the Christmas period/mid January and then obviously the next target from there would be to pull away from the threat of the relegation and have a fairly comfortable season.

I remain just as worried as anyone else whether we will be able to do this mind you.

We're all worried about it, but I think it's important to point out, and McInnes has pointed this out today, that we have 8 or 9 players out injured, some of which are starters or possible starters. And you might say that it's too easy just to blame it on the injuries, but the fact is it all fell apart when these injuries started, Cunningham against Peterborough especially, as since then we've only won 1 game. I just can't wait for Greg to be back to see how much of an impact he can make.

I'm quite interested in the sports psychology side of motivation. What would you suggest the management do to create a more positive atmosphere in the dressing room out of interest, maybe as an alternative to the mini league comment

As am I. Im no expert of course in this It's quite hard what to suggest.

Personally I would tell the players to not focus on league position or form. Look towards the next game with a clear mind. Talk to each player and find out where they enjoy playing mostly. What they personally feel needs changing in the team, how they could improve themselves and set each player personal targets. With that hopefully you can form a structure such as Clough did with Derby & Forest. He would personally go to each player and would change his tone and manner to fit their personality. Then he would give them their objectives for the match. It's like putting a puzzle together in a way. Or in our case, doing a rubix cube.

We're all worried about it, but I think it's important to point out, and McInnes has pointed this out today, that we have 8 or 9 players out injured, some of which are starters or possible starters. And you might say that it's too easy just to blame it on the injuries, but the fact is it all fell apart when these injuries started, Cunningham against Peterborough especially, as since then we've only won 1 game. I just can't wait for Greg to be back to see how much of an impact he can make.

Of course the injuries are an issue and it is to McInnes' credit that he doesn't whinge about them anywhere near as much as many other managers would. (In fact in general he comes over well in interview).

Of the injured players I would ask how many will really improve us though?

Cunningham- Definitely, don't think you'll find many people arguing otherwise.

Carey- I'm the biggest fan of Louis you will ever find, but should we really be in a position where we are waiting for Louis to get fit?

Stead- Like Louis massive heart and good to call on when time get tough, but doesn't offer you the goals of Baldock/Davies or the ability to really lead a line of Taylor.

Skuse- The Skuse up until the injury at Peterborough would definitely be a boost. The one that played after his comeback from that inury- not so much.

Nyatanga- Not his biggest critic by any means, but if anyone thinks his return to fitness will see us make a dramatic improvement they're in dreamland.

McManus- Is it one game we have won in which he has started over two spells?

Woolford- Ended last season well, started this season fantastically. But again, not exactly sat here holding my breath for his return to fitness.

Morris- Behave. What is it, two league appearences? Both of them poor.

Of course the injuries are an issue and it is to McInnes' credit that he doesn't whinge about them anywhere near as much as many other managers would. (In fact in general he comes over well in interview).

Of the injured players I would ask how many will really improve us though?

Cunningham- Definitely, don't think you'll find many people arguing otherwise.

Carey- I'm the biggest fan of Louis you will ever find, but should we really be in a position where we are waiting for Louis to get fit?

Stead- Like Louis massive heart and good to call on when time get tough, but doesn't offer you the goals of Baldock/Davies or the ability to really lead a line of Taylor.

Skuse- The Skuse up until the injury at Peterborough would definitely be a boost. The one that played after his comeback from that inury- not so much.

Nyatanga- Not his biggest critic by any means, but if anyone thinks his return to fitness will see us make a dramatic improvement they're in dreamland.

McManus- Is it one game we have won in which he has started over two spells?

Woolford- Ended last season well, started this season fantastically. But again, not exactly sat here holding my breath for his return to fitness.

Morris- Behave. What is it, two league appearences? Both of them poor.

agree with basically all of it, just important to add in my opinion is that Woolford is a different player with Greg behind him

http://www.bcfc.co.u...iew-529917.aspx

No, I think it's the best thing we can do at the moment, just beat the teams that are around you and finish above them is perfect, a win against a top 6 side is a bonus! Games against teams like Barnsley and Peterborough are the most important matches!

Archived