IGNORED

Today In 1983.......

BS4 on Tour...

I can't remember if it was that match but I think it might of been a later league match, where the wind was blowing so hard the sand from the dog/speedway track was constantly blowing in our faces. I was picking sand out of my eyes and ears for hours after.

It must of been a later game thinking about it because I wrote a letter of complaint and they sent me a cheque for the cost of the ticket. Ha!

I actually was quite fond of Eastville and was sad when it turned into an Ikea.

I can't remember if it was that match but I think it might of been a later league match, where the wind was blowing so hard the sand from the dog/speedway track was constantly blowing in our faces. I was picking sand out of my eyes and ears for hours after.

It must of been a later game thinking about it because I wrote a letter of complaint and they sent me a cheque for the cost of the ticket. Ha!

I think that was a boxing day game, the gas with the wind behind them 1 up at half time and we scored 4 with the wind behind us in the 2nd 4-1.

I think that was a boxing day game, the gas with the wind behind them 1 up at half time and we scored 4 with the wind behind us in the 2nd 4-1.

Yeah it might of been but I think I would of been in too good a mood to complain if that was the score!

What a result for Lorient yesterday, I'm going to see Joey and his friends at Toulouse on Saturday, hoping its not as boring as mr Barton makes out, which at Toulouse it often is :(

"One nil down, two one up, we knocked R*verzzz out the Cup, la la la la la la la la la ......."

'We knocked Rovers out the Cup' song.

This is a massive coincedence.

My sons play for Bristol City Junior Supporters Club U8's and they played thier Rovers counterparts yesterday at Southey Ave.

On the journey over I was reminiscing about this very game and had the whole car singing this very song.

Twenty nine years ago, where's the time gone?

Oh, for the record, BRJSC U8 1 BCJSC 7.......................mind the gap.

Yeah it might of been but I think I would of been in too good a mood to complain if that was the score!

What a result for Lorient yesterday, I'm going to see Joey and his friends at Toulouse on Saturday, hoping its not as boring as mr Barton makes out, which at Toulouse it often is :(

Allez Allez Marseille 0 - Lorient 3, barton was shit Allez Allez.

There was the windy as hell one when Steve Johnson played his first away game,when their CEO,Gordon Bennett came in the away end to see how overcrowded it was. He got crushed so bad he lasted about 20 seconds. Not as crushed as his Mrs though,the night she found out her husband had something in common with David Pleat.

----------------

Funny enough, so was I. Sentimental old git, I know.

What I do recall about this era is Gasheads banging on about "never having been in the bottom division". Ignore the fact that they only avoided applying for reelection in 1939 because Hitler invaded Poland ;)

How long have they been in the basement now? Never mind, they won't be there next season :)

--------------

Some years ago, there was a lad stood next to me at the bar with a Hendrix T shirt.

Me: I saw his last big gig, at the Isle of Wight.

Him: I just missed it. :(

Me: How do you mean?

Him: It's a shame, I was born two days after :(

And he meant it...

Haha, no way!! Well my dad remembers that game, he didn't live to far from the old rovers ground down eastville. I was raised in fishponds, so glad I wasn't raised a gas head! Haha.... Imagine that! Actaully, lets not!!

If my memory serves correct, I think Martin Hirst was a student at Bristol Uni and used to train between lectures.

I think he was clever enough to get a proper job before long, remember City would of paid bugger all in them days. A lot were just getting YTS money.

He certainly was. He was a friend of friend in my time there, so that was my first game "supporting" City (supporting Martyn, really, and a while before I got properly hooked). Fantastic atmosphere on the away end.

If I remember correctly, Martyn ended up moving to Weymouth a couple of years after this, where the combination of decent part-time wages, a subsidised "club" flat and having a proper job meant he was considerably better off than playing full time. I'm told he was never entirely convinced he wanted a full-time football career - but what a memory that day must be for him.

Archived