IGNORED

Christmas Poll ...bring Back The Robin!

the frampton balti

get the robins back on track  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure the robin is ideal bird to represent us this season, FB. Can any ornithologists suggest a bird that doesn't defend its territory but stands around looking panic striken when other birds invade it?

Ostrich sounds favourite - or the Oozlum bird ;)

I have been messing about with this old design to see what I can come up with. It is only rough using paint.

clubamptrust.jpg

These four are what I came up with, trying to come up with a modern version. Needs some professional Photoshop done on it though.

gatebadge-2.jpg

I thought this photo of the Matthew sailing under the suspension bridge would make a good badge design, it needs an expert to make a badge out of it though.

2049221673_c218321256.jpg

Cider Head makes some very fair points, many of which are hard to disagree with. There is no doubt that we have many fans both in Bristol and otherwise who have no particular affection for the City of Bristol but it seems to me that if this is a valid argument for breaking (or even eroding) the link the link between City and Club it is an equally strong argument for changing the name of the Club - would supporters from Weston Super Mare and beyond prefer Robins FC or perhaps this is something else we could sell to the highest bidder?

Any such move would certainly open the range of available sites for a new stadium.

Association with (as well as location in) the City can be inferred from the name of the club. Conversely, a nickname is meaningless in the absence of common (affectionate or otherwise) usage and in my experience there has been little if any such common usage of the name "Robins" for several decades.

Use of the Robin is hardly eroding the link between club and City.

The Robin is in usage by fans and is clearly part of the fans/clubs culture. Fans over forty will remember that BCFC styled themslves as the Pride of the West, not the Pride of Bristol. Favourite sons have been called John and Rob, born and bred in the West [Wiltshire]. Bristol City is a west country club.

Use of the Robin is hardly eroding the link between club and City.

The Robin is in usage by fans and is clearly part of the fans/clubs culture. Fans over forty will remember that BCFC styled themslves as the Pride of the West, not the Pride of Bristol. Favourite sons have been called John and Rob, born and bred in the West [Wiltshire]. Bristol City is a west country club.

You beat me to it!! quite rght, Bristol City is a west country club.

People travel the four corners of the west country (and some beyond) to the South Bristol church which is Ashton gate

and not connecting with Bristol of eastville, horefield (pirate territory) where the Bristol badge is connected as much as the whole of

Bristol? We need our own ID and emblem, BRISTOL CITY PRIDE OF THE WEST

Football = what we do

Robin = westcountry & cider

Clifton bridge = south Bristol

Together = the perfect badge

OOOOWWWWW Enough to put you off for life

bristolrovers9qs.jpg

creste.jpg

My eyes, it burns, it burns :cool2:

598895_541081112584304_1513445051_n.jpg

Football = what we do

Robin = westcountry & cider (involving wassail and we sing enough cider songs along with a cider sponsor)

Clifton bridge = south Bristol

Together = the perfect badge

Robin = westcountry & cider connection wassail

It was also believed, especially in the West Country, that the spirits of the trees were incarnated in robins and other small birds.

Young lads representing these birds climbed the apple trees and cried 'Tit-tit, I want more to eat.' A piece of cake,

cheese or bread was either handed up to him or dipped in cider and placed in the forks of the tree branches 'for the robins'.

There are three forms of Christmas/New Year celebration involving wassail, a beverage originally made of mulled ale, curdled cream, cider, roasted apples, nuts, eggs and spices.

The blowing of horns heralds the Wassailing of the Apple Trees celebration, as a beverage, usually cider,

is poured on the roots of the finest tree and a wassail cake placed in the branches as an offering to the tree spirits and elementals who ensure fruitful harvest. Then the beating of kettles and firing of guns loaded with powder are used to drive away the witches and ghosts believed to reside in the crown of the apple tree. This is followed by a wassailing song sung to the tree (or the hive in the tree, in the case of bees!) as in --

Wassail, wassail all round the town;

The zider-cup's white and the zider's brown;

Our zider is made vrom good apple trees,

And now my vine vellows we'll drink if you please.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/wassail.shtml

Can someone take a Wassail on the pitch of Ashton gate please, to ensure fruitful harvest of goals :smartass:

This is a fascinating debate on a number of levels. Unlike most debates (e.g. the new stadium) it is not a conflict between progress and tradition as both side can rightly claim history, tradition and feeling of belonging on their side,

One point that has been made strongly is that the Robin & Bridge is our own whereas the Ship & Castle is 'borrowed' and represents the whole of Bristol rather than the south-west quarter. This is true but seems contrary to our legitimate claim to be the "One Team in Bristol" and our history as Bristol's first league team. Truth is that on one-level we are South Bristol, the right side of the river, the Somerset contingent etc. - bit on another no other football club in Bristol is or ever could be of comparable importance - even in the darker suburbs of the North-East!

Personally I favour the Ship & Castle because:

• our club founders overcame significant resistance to obtain Gloucestershire FA approval for us (alone) to take the name of our fair City) recognising that in adopting this name we would henceforth represent the City for good or ill - it is therefore wholly appropriate that our team should wear the badge of the City with pride;
  • the name "City" like "Borough", "County" or "Town" carries a representative significance which is completely missing from "Wanderers", "Athletic", "United" or "Rovers" and even permits the abbreviation of our name by some to simply "Bristol" because we are more than simply a football club and "Bristol" can only ever really mean us;
  • whilst I have no complaint or resistance to the little red-breasted feathered one, I cannot recall a single instance in forty years where I have heard a supporter in face-to-face discussion refer to our beloved as "the Robins" - in contrast it seems to me that "Magpies", "Baggies", "Wolves", "Canaries" and "Irons" are commonly used by all to describe those teams; and
  • although it can of course be updated - the 70's badge does look a bit well "70's" like that peculiar one-eyed smiley face adopted at the time by Dirty Leeds.

It matters not to me who else might or might not borrow or adopt the City's emblem - in choosing (and fighting) to carry the name we earned the inalienable right and proud duty to represent the City and hence we should wear the badge with pride.

It could argued that the parochial use of the crest/OTIB limits the reach of the club.

One team in Bristol? Only better than the Gas and Manor farm !! Bit insular that, better to be the team of Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire ..

It could argued that the parochial use of the crest/OTIB limits the reach of the club.

One team in Bristol? Only better than the Gas and Manor farm !! Bit insular that, better to be the team of Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire ..

Couldn't agree more. If our club is going anywhere, then it needs to be more expansive, and see itself as THE club of the region.

Lots of fans come from outside of the city - a fact ignored by many , both inside and out of the club...

Having said that, the city crest, or something distinctive that represents the city (like the suspension bridge) makes much more sense on the shirt than the simplistic "robin" symbol, which could be assigned to any club wearing red...

Couldn't agree more. If our club is going anywhere, then it needs to be more expansive, and see itself as THE club of the region.

Lots of fans come from outside of the city - a fact ignored by many , both inside and out of the club...

Having said that, the city crest, or something distinctive that represents the city (like the suspension bridge) makes much more sense on the shirt than the simplistic "robin" symbol, which could be assigned to any club wearing red...

I don't find the crest distinctive. It's association with other lower forms of sporting club is to it's detriment, along with its link to a "wonderous" council. Its dull and drab as a representation, unilke the City itself.

Bristol City are THE west country club and compared to others we are THE Robins. Quite liked the days of Hunter and Gow - Pride of the west when City were that West Country club, as you say drawing support from the around the region.

Archived