IGNORED

Has It Ever Got This Bad?

Dolman_Stand

I was once in a freezing away end with a friend and 2 others at Norwich around Christmas/ NewYear time, must have been about '78/79. Oddly the two other City fans had London accents.

Most matches around the country had been called off due to freezing weather and the Cats coaches had either not set off or turned back. We'd set out the day before to make a weekend of it.

I know there were at least 10 other City fans at Carrow Road though because we were in a group of 12, the others having taken refuge in other parts of the ground after refusing to go on the windswept and icy section reserved for away fans -.although it was under cover it was open at the back and the freezing wind was biting.

The end we were in was divided between home and away fans meaning their shouting mob were pressed up against the fence next to us, and hundreds of young Norwich fans gave the four of us no mercy at all during the match, and took great delight in our discomfort as the home side strolled to an easy win.

I'm sure we had one fan in the away end for an away match that went to a penalty shoot-out. The ref held the shoot-out at our end. May well have been away to Shrewsbury in the LDV. Early 2000s?

Think this might be a bit of a myth, i believe we had one fan on the terraces with the remainder in seats off to the side. When the television showed any action at the away end it looked like we had only one fan there, although i stand to be corrected.

Think this might be a bit of a myth, i believe we had one fan on the terraces with the remainder in seats off to the side. When the television showed any action at the away end it looked like we had only one fan there, although i stand to be corrected.

From memory, that's correct. But it was still only one fan on the terraces.

When we were in the 4th division I once went to an away game at Cambridge United, where pretty much the entire away following travelled in one less-than-full CATS coach. So about 30-40 of us I guess.

A couple of the lads managed an ironic pitch invasion to celebrate our consolation goal. Oh how we laughed on the 5 hour drive home.

It is a myth, the one person on the terrace that night was a ballboy. All of our fans were in the stands as Shrewsbury wouldn't open the terrace. I was there that night.

Damn it. I'm going to write a strongly-worded letter to 90 Minutes for inaccurate journalism. I'm pretty sure that's where I first read about it.

I was once in a freezing away end with a friend and 2 others at Norwich around Christmas/ NewYear time, must have been about '78/79. Oddly the two other City fans had London accents.

Most matches around the country had been called off due to freezing weather and the Cats coaches had either not set off or turned back. We'd set out the day before to make a weekend of it.

Was this the one where the team travelled by train because of the road conditions? I remember seeing some very familiar faces in First Class on the London train.

Was this the one where the team travelled by train because of the road conditions? I remember seeing some very familiar faces in First Class on the London train.

Don't know Aizoon, maybe they went up on the Friday too.

Mind you the roads were frozen on the way up then as well, but for whatever reason ground temperatures must have been slightly better in Norfolk.

Still absolutely freezing though with a devil of a wind.

Were you at the match then?

I've followed City away for twenty five years and the smallest following I remember was a Tuesday night game at Blackpool in the late eighties with neither team having anything to play for. City took two coaches and there was around 100 fans there. I can never remember City only have one coach for an away game. Coach one on CATS is full of people who go to every single game.

On the flip side, the smallest following coming to AG i remember was MK Dons in a JPT early round. Think we won 2-1 but remember their guy scoring an insane bycicle kick! They brought about 50 if that? Closely followed by Chesterfield on a friday night (was on sky we lost 3-2 i think) and i remember they brought about 60ish?

MK Dons in a JPT early round brought about 50 if that? Closely followed by Chesterfield on a friday night (was on sky we lost 3-2 i think) and i remember they brought about 60ish?

Nothing like 50 as I remember it - just one small group, 10 or less I'd say.

Going slightly off topic as in the funny shaped ball game, i was working for a company who were involved in getting the rec at barf ready for their first home game of the season many years ago, the game was originally scheduled for a saturday, but because it was a derby V Glooooster Sky decided to move it to a sunday kick off,,which was announced two or three weeks earlier.

We had finished our task at about midday and were having a beer and a chat in the pavillion bar when all eyes were drawn to a guy bedecked in gloster colours walking into the bar looking somewhat confused, it turned out he had got the days mixed up and when he had got to his usual pick up point for the coach it was deserted, thinking he had ****** up and missed the coach he invested all his money in his pockets for a one way rail ticket to bath, safe in the knowledge he could return home on the coach he had missed.....thats it

What about the opposite? I recall an away day (sunny) at Orient where there were MANY more City than Orient... must try and remember the year/date.

Has this happened to us more than once? I can't remember at the moment...

Smallest following I remember at AG was in the 1989/90 and Chester were the visitors on a wet Tuesday night in March. They had 3 fans stood on the old open end.

Archived