IGNORED

Current Squad Status. What Would You Do?

Harry

Reid in midfield who has made just one start ( if my memory is correct ) and that wasn't under McInnes. Only two goalkeepers, releasing Skuse ...... I didn't bother to read the rest.

Probably why you've completely misunderstood it then.

Harry - I agree with almost all of that. I'd just keep Adomah unless the offer was utterly ridiculous.

GK - Heaton

- Gerkin

- Carey

LB - cunningham

- Bryan

RB - Foster(or better replacement if sold)

- Edwards

CB - fontaine

- Bates

- NEW
- NEW

LM - NEW

- Anderson

CM - Reid

- Danns

- Skuse

- NEW (cisse style)

RM- Adomah

Ajala

ST - Baldock

- Davies

- Taylor

- Wes Burns(not sure how old he is but at the rate hes scoring who cares)

that would be my preferred squad come next season if we stay up

Davies as a left midfielder? Maybe as a left forward, but not midfield.

Yeah, it's reaching to cover left-wing slots and would be a massive waste of Davies. I suppose I was just looking to think about general cover.

Realistically we'll almost certainly keep one of Pearson or Woolford for next season, so I don't think it's a big issue.

I think you have absolutely no idea about what a squad should look like.

Reid in midfield who has made just one start ( if my memory is correct ) and that wasn't under McInnes. Only two goalkeepers, releasing Skuse ...... I didn't bother to read the rest.

Oh dear Robbo, not really sure what your game is here, but you are being rather obtuse, I feel.

If you had bothered to read the whole post you'd have noticed that I opened up by saying that it was in no way serious or was ever likely to happen. But since you have laid down the challenge, allow me to retort.

The final squad of 14 players which I have hypothetically ended with, for me does contain the makings of a good squad.

Heaton, Foster, Cunningham, Bates, Anderson, Davies & Baldock as 1st teamers, with Carey, Edwards, Fontaine, Bryan, Reid, Pearson & Taylor as backups.

That's a pretty decent 14 man squad to begin with. As I said, add to that a CB, CM, CM & RM as 1st teamers and you've got a good 18 man squad. Supplement that with 4 more squad players and a few young 'uns and we're looking good.

I see you challenged the fact that Reid was my only midfielder. That is because I personally think it's time we completely overhauled the midfield area and in my opinion we should rip this apart and get shot of Killa, Skuse, Marv & Morris and start from scratch. That means keeping hold of Reid, having Pearson as a backup (only due to contract length) and adding 2 quality CM's, one of which I would hope to be Danns.

If you weren't bothered to read and understand the opening post, why bother replying? Since you're here now though, would you care to share your thoughts, as everyone else has kindly done, or are you not gonna bother?

I'd do as you do, but Skuse would stay. (I really can't be ****** with the Skuse argument again though H, so lets leave it at that)

Agree JT - I think I've made my feelings clear on Skuse previously, so I won't go there again, ha ha.

Would you offer contracts/buy Mcmanus and or Danns?

I would love to see Danns here full time. McManus I'm not quite so convinced with, and due to his age and wage, I'd say no.

Skuse is a pretty simple footballer, he's liked alot because he's local and puts in a good tackle from time to time.. and he can play a few positions

From time to time pretty much sums him up.

He's poor at RB and ok(ish) in Midfield but I cant remember too many games that he has been good in, especially this season. Seems to enjoy ball watching and letting players run past him like he wasnt there.. people say we have a poor midfield? He is the weak link.

It seems likely Skuse will be offered a new contract, but probably on reduced wages ( in line with other high earners recently) rather than the hefty increase a prominent poster on here informed us he was holding out for.

If he rejects it and Crystal Palace, or any other club, are willing to meet his demands, then I agree 'so be it' and I trust the club would stand firm on this one.

Skuse is a pretty simple footballer, he's liked alot because he's local and puts in a good tackle from time to time.. and he can play a few positions

Partly right but his selection by successive City managers has nothing to do with where he's from, its all to do with his versatility, experience, stamina, tackling and heading ability plus his footballing skills.

You must be pretty simple if you can't see what he brings to the team.

It seems likely Skuse will be offered a new contract, but probably on reduced wages ( in line with other high earners recently) rather than the hefty increase a prominent poster on here informed us he was holding out for.

Skuse wants 2 grand more on his current salary. Why should he or any player take less when they've been a loyal servant and could get what they want financially at another club?

Didn't Carey do exactly that when he went to Coventry?

From time to time pretty much sums him up.

He's poor at RB and ok(ish) in Midfield but I cant remember too many games that he has been good in, especially this season. Seems to enjoy ball watching and letting players run past him like he wasnt there.. people say we have a poor midfield? He is the weak link.

I can understand why people don't like him, but imo he's certainly not the worst midfielder we have. When we're really under the cosh he seems to do a bit better, take his few goals at the end of last season. But he certainly needs to do alot more than taking the ball of a defender and passing it to a fullback.

Partly right but his selection by successive City managers has nothing to do with where he's from, its all to do with his versatility, experience, stamina, tackling and heading ability plus his footballing skills.

I think his selection by successive City managers is partly to do with keeping some continuity in an ever changing squad, plus the fact he's always been seen as one for the future.

He's now reached the stage where he is an experienced and highly paid player and is still extremely inconsistent and often ineffectual. He's never built up the strength and power to go with his undoubted stamina and thus is still often weak in the hurly burly of a Championship midfield.

Your description of him above makes him appear almost the perfect Championship midfielder - that being the case perhaps you could explain why City have never had a single bid for him?

A subtle dig there I see. Footbaling skills? He plays a side pass most of the time and as Cider Armyy says puts in the odd good tackle from time to time. Has the occasional good game but they are too few and far between, lacks consistency.

Skuse wants 2 grand more on his current salary. Why should he or any player take less when they've been a loyal servant and could get what they want financially at another club?

Didn't Carey do exactly that when he went to Coventry?

We're not paying the sort of wages the higher earners at AG are used to any longer. You glibly say he 'wants 2 grand more', as if that's very reasonable but that's two thousand pounds per week more, not per year. It's not doable in City's new era of austerity, at least I hope it's not.

If your figures are correct, why should Skuse have such a massive rise?

Would it be a reward for loyalty? - can't be the case because nobody else has bid for him.

If he can get it at another club, goodbye and good luck.

We're not paying the sort of wages the higher earners at AG are used to any longer. You glibly say he 'wants 2 grand more', as if that's very reasonable but that's two thousand pounds per week more, not per year. It's not doable in City's new era of austerity, at least I hope it's not.

If your figures are correct, why should Skuse have such a massive rise?

Would it be a reward for loyalty? - can't be the case because nobody else has bid for him.

If he can get it at another club, goodbye and good luck.

Skuse wants 2k per week rise to bring him closer to the highest earners at the club. Currently he gets 9k a week less than the highest paid player.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Harry" data-cid="1680763" data-time="1355435005"><p>

Now now chaps. Me and Jordan Tansley have both agreed we won't have the Skuse debate on this thread. Keep it tight boys.......</p></blockquote>

You need to get a bit more control over your threads, H! ;)

Hey JT. I've made the juvenile mistake of going out on my Christmas Party tonight and took my eye off the ball. Can't believe some of these folk are arguing the toss over Skuse when we all know he's useless (ha ha, did you see what I did there!!) Anyway, I must get to bed, but gotta finish watching my Cincinnati Bengals crucial fixture at Philly. I knew that recording Thursday Night Football was gonna be bad news the day of my party and having to get up early to sell the Bunter early doors at BS3.

By the way folks - don't forget to pick up your copy of the Bountyhunter v Derby!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Harry" data-cid="1681111" data-time="1355542549"><p>

Hey JT. I've made the juvenile mistake of going out on my Christmas Party tonight and took my eye off the ball. Can't believe some of these folk are arguing the toss over Skuse when we all know he's useless (ha ha, did you see what I did there!!) Anyway, I must get to bed, but gotta finish watching my Cincinnati Bengals crucial fixture at Philly. I knew that recording Thursday Night Football was gonna be bad news the day of my party and having to get up early to sell the Bunter early doors at BS3.<br />

By the way folks - don't forget to pick up your copy of the Bountyhunter v Derby!!</p></blockquote>

You bugger! I just got back too, had enough to put me off a pre match pint tomorrow, but I think I might get my first ever copy of the b'unter tomorrow!

And now to bed, dreaming of captain Skuse leading us to the prem in two years time, holding aloft a '**** you Harry' flag as he holds aloft the championship title!!! ;)

Archived