IGNORED

Mick Harford

Eco

Certainly do.

He was absolutely immense in a very poor side, scoring about 15 in 30 odd games before being sold by the administrators as we went bust.

He was hard as nails, too, any centre half playing against him was in for an a horrible afternoon, as Mick wasn't exactly averse to leading with an elbow..

He then joined Brum from City, scoring something like 8 in 12 in the top flight as they stayed up despite being (I think) bottom when he joined.

When I read all the Dziekanowski myth nonsense I do wonder why a far greater contributor over a similarly shorter period like Mick Harford isn't better remembered.

Certainly do.

He was absolutely immense in a very poor side, scoring about 15 in 30 odd games before being sold by the administrators as we went bust.

He was hard as nails, too, any centre half playing against him was in for an a horrible afternoon, as Mick wasn't exactly averse to leading with an elbow..

He then joined Brum from City, scoring something like 8 in 12 in the top flight as they stayed up despite being (I think) bottom when he joined.

When I read all the Dziekanowski myth nonsense I do wonder why a far greater contributor over a similarly shorter period like Mick Harford isn't better remembered.

+1 especially the last sentence, especially given that he didn't want to and didn't need to leave us but did it for the greater good.

Anyone on here ever see him play for us ? A curious signing as I think we were basically broke when he signed for 175K. Only stayed for one season, 81/82, and scored a few goals, I remember Richard Latham rating him.

Best header of a football I have seen in my 40 years of watching City. I believe he scored with a header at Newport in that famous "last ever game".

Best header of a football I have seen in my 40 years of watching City. I believe he scored with a header at Newport in that famous "last ever game".

+ 1

Typical target man and definately the best header of the ball I have ever seen in a BCFC shirt.

BCAGFC

Once chatted to big Mick in a carvery in Wheathampstead in Hertfordshire. Was the manager of Luton at the time. He was a man of as few words as he could get away with. His teenage sons were both about 6 foot 6 - at a guess 15 and 17. Wonder if either of them are playing at any level?

Sometimes it's not how many a player scores or his contribution to a club going bust, it's how 1 player gives you pure entertainment for 90mins!

Right or wrongly that's what fans remember, jacki did that hence the worshiping

As I haven't been old enough to see Jacki play, all I have ever heard is fantastic stuff from him and a player all City fans would love to see in the Red shirt again!

There are many 6'6 strikers who score goals, but general view is that you will never get a player like Jacki back at the club!

Sometimes it's not how many a player scores or his contribution to a club going bust, it's how 1 player gives you pure entertainment for 90mins!

Right or wrongly that's what fans remember, jacki did that hence the worshiping

Jacki pure entertainment for 90 minutes, come on now even that is a real stretch even for the most hardened contributor to the Jacki myth, we all remember the Leicester away game and one or two others where he was almost unplayable, we also remember perhaps the dozen or so games where he did one or two things out of the ordinary but please don't forget that for most of his games he was disinterested, anonymous and hiding in full view.

Jacki pure entertainment for 90 minutes, come on now even that is a real stretch even for the most hardened contributor to the Jacki myth, we all remember the Leicester away game and one or two others where he was almost unplayable, we also remember perhaps the dozen or so games where he did one or two things out of the ordinary but please don't forget that for most of his games he was disinterested, anonymous and hiding in full view.

We agree on this one EMB. Jacki was dropped by Osman after a particularly anonymous performance and when questioned about why Osman replied ( para phrase) ' we need more than a few tricks and a thirty yard shot ' For once Osman was spot on.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Esmond Million's Bung" data-cid="1681140" data-time="1355564118"><p>

<br />

Jacki pure entertainment for 90 minutes, come on now even that is a real stretch even for the most hardened contributor to the Jacki myth, we all remember the Leicester away game and one or two others where he was almost unplayable, we also remember perhaps the dozen or so games where he did one or two things out of the ordinary but please don't forget that for most of his games he was disinterested, anonymous and hiding in full view.</p></blockquote>

Jacki wasn't a myth, back then, as you say, he could be anonymous for 89 mins, but would pull of something so outrageous it would be worth the entrance money alone.

The guy was the most technically gifted player I have ever had the pleasure to watch, and when it all came together, virtually unplayabke.

Consistency, well non, pure outrageous skill, well I think you got at least 1 showing a match, even if he had a crap game.

And that is why people remember him, it is what makes legends, someone you remember so vividly, that would have you off your feet in astonishment.

He gets his legend status from me. I've seen hundreds more consistent and dedicated professionals at city, who didn't turn up for work pissed, but I won't remember them. Jacki I will. The bloke had a aura, and the ability to light up the most boring game.

As Motson said "they say he is from another country, on tonights performance, he is from another planet"

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Esmond Million's Bung" data-cid="1681140" data-time="1355564118"><p>

<br />

Jacki pure entertainment for 90 minutes, come on now even that is a real stretch even for the most hardened contributor to the Jacki myth, we all remember the Leicester away game and one or two others where he was almost unplayable, we also remember perhaps the dozen or so games where he did one or two things out of the ordinary but please don't forget that for most of his games he was disinterested, anonymous and hiding in full view.</p></blockquote>

Jacki wasn't a myth, back then, as you say, he could be anonymous for 89 mins, but would pull of something so outrageous it would be worth the entrance money alone.

The guy was the most technically gifted player I have ever had the pleasure to watch, and when it all came together, virtually unplayabke.

Consistency, well non, pure outrageous skill, well I think you got at least 1 showing a match, even if he had a crap game.

And that is why people remember him, it is what makes legends, someone you remember so vividly, that would have you off your feet in astonishment.

He gets his legend status from me. I've seen hundreds more consistent and dedicated professionals at city, who didn't turn up for work pissed, but I won't remember them. Jacki I will. The bloke had a aura, and the ability to light up the most boring game.

As Motson said "they say he is from another country, on tonights performance, he is from another planet"

That's as they say why reflection is quite often clouded, when people look in the mirror they don't always see what the rest of the world sees, I think it's more to do with the fact of how crap we were even back then and he very occasionally brightened those very dark days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JlcWF3cqQ

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Esmond Million's Bung" data-cid="1681166" data-time="1355570865"><p>

<br />

That's as they say why reflection is quite often clouded, when people look in the mirror they don't always see what the rest of the world sees, I think it's more to do with the fact of how crap we were even back then and he very occasionally brightened those very dark days.<br />

<br />

<a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JlcWF3cqQ'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JlcWF3cqQ</a></p></blockquote>we were crap, and he did lighten up games that is for sure. He was a absolute waster as well. But things he could do with a football, well that is what makes him a stand out player. Not your run of the mill Bristol City player. I am glad I was around to see him, he gave me entertainment, not only what he did with a ball, but also what he used to say to opposition players during a game.

The bloke was an enigma, I am glad we had him. From a football team perspective, Osman was 100% correct to drop him and boot him.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="The Bard" data-cid="1681084" data-time="1355520266"><p>

Once chatted to big Mick in a carvery in Wheathampstead in Hertfordshire. Was the manager of Luton at the time. He was a man of as few words as he could get away with. His teenage sons were both about 6 foot 6 - at a guess 15 and 17. Wonder if either of them are playing at any level?</p></blockquote>

Prolly about seven feet off the ground ;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BCAGFC" data-cid="1681079" data-time="1355519901"><p>

+ 1<br />

<br />

Typical target man and definately the best header of the ball I have ever seen in a BCFC shirt.<br />

<br />

BCAGFC</p></blockquote>

Never saw John Atyeo, then? Paul Cheesley was pretty good, too.

Mind you, he was a class player and one who would run through a brick walk if he sniffed the ball on the other side.

Archived