IGNORED

Heaton

Ciderstreet

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Super" data-cid="1682433" data-time="1355666070"><p>

You can't blame the keeper when we just invite crosses and fail to attempt to close anyone down.</p></blockquote>

How well does he organise his back 4. By sticking to his line the way he does, he puts his defence on the back foot.

He is a part of a poor defensive unit and must shoulder part of the blame.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GlennHumphrys1" data-cid="1682436" data-time="1355666187"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Super" data-cid="1682433" data-time="1355666070"><p><br />

You can't blame the keeper when we just invite crosses and fail to attempt to close anyone down.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

You can to an extent. It's partly his job to marshall the defence. And i've not seen him stopping many shots</p></blockquote>

You probably want to open your eyes a bit more then.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Super" data-cid="1682433" data-time="1355666070"><p>

You can't blame the keeper when we just invite crosses and fail to attempt to close anyone down.</p></blockquote>

You can to an extent. It's partly his job to marshall the defence. And i've not seen him stopping many shots

It's also his job to barge static dithering defenders out of the way if necessary and use his extra reach to deal with crosses.

We don't see Heaton being assertive very often - he seldom if ever seems to punch the ball - and he shows no semblance of commanding his box.

Overall he doesn't look as good a keeper as Gerken did at the end of last season.

Another world class save to add the list in the first half, pushing the flick past the post.

Probably partly at fault for the second, that ball should have been dealt with by someone.

Goalkeeping is about more than shot stopping. Heaton was at fault for BOTH goals yesterday - first one he should have pushed the back four out and collected a simple ball and the second was headed in about a yard from goal. Great shot stopper, mediocre Goalkeeper which explains why Malky Mackay didn't fancy him.

I'd have Gerken in Saturday.

He does seem immune from criticism from many on here but I also thought he should have done better for the second goal.

We do need a root and branch sort out of our defensive options* and although his early save was excellent (there was also a brilliant goal saving block by Foster around this time which of course has been forgotten by his many detractors) I'm not convinced Heaton is any better than Gerken overall.

In short he is more agile but less aerially dominant for me.

* With Mark Wilson and Bates out of contract in January and McManus and Danny Wilson's loans expiring then (Elokobi's does next week, too) we could conceivably move 5 defenders on if we liked.

Not sure I can see a case for any of them staying at present, though Danny Wilson may be the next Caulker for all we know...

Goalkeeping is about more than shot stopping. Heaton was at fault for BOTH goals yesterday - first one he should have pushed the back four out and collected a simple ball and the second was headed in about a yard from goal. Great shot stopper, mediocre Goalkeeper which explains why Malky Mackay didn't fancy him.

I'd have Gerken in Saturday.

I wouldn't have either of them!

I can't see how anyone can blame heaton for any goal so far, the first one mcmanus was marking fresh air and player had free header. second goal we didn't close down winger the ball crossed in had a low trejectory so can't see how heaton could of got there.

Both goals were created from adomah not tracking the winger

The first goal wasn't a header. It was booted in a foot above the ground with Heaton on his knees WAITING for the ball. It is also his responsibility to communicate and push his back four out further to make his job easier when the ball does get played in. In effect he was at fault TWICE for the opening goal.

The first goal wasn't a header. It was booted in a foot above the ground with Heaton on his knees WAITING for the ball. It is also his responsibility to communicate and push his back four out further to make his job easier when the ball does get played in. In effect he was at fault TWICE for the opening goal.

Didnt you know you are not allowed to criticise Heaton on here? Wait til Jordan reads this.........

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Keepers Grandad" data-cid="1682500" data-time="1355671925"><p>

<br />

The first goal wasn't a header. It was booted in a foot above the ground with Heaton on his knees WAITING for the ball. It is also his responsibility to communicate and push his back four out further to make his job easier when the ball does get played in. In effect he was at fault TWICE for the opening goal.</p></blockquote>

He is always telling the defence to push out what more can he do.

LAst season it was all James fault this season heaton, look at the players In front of them. Even cech and reina would struggle with that defence

Finally, people are starting to wake up to the fact that Tom Heaton isn't that great. Sure you can blame the defence If the opposition get through, but it's still the keepers responsibility to save at least a few of the shots. Heaton's positioning is poor, so when he makes a dive for the ball it looks like it isn't his fault, when he is actually to blame.

He needs to be dropped, give Gerken a run. Otherwise put a extra outfield player on the pitch and let someone else pick the balls out of the net.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Keepers Grandad" data-cid="1682500" data-time="1355671925"><p>

<br />

The first goal wasn't a header. It was booted in a foot above the ground with Heaton on his knees WAITING for the ball. It is also his responsibility to communicate and push his back four out further to make his job easier when the ball does get played in. In effect he was at fault TWICE for the opening goal.</p></blockquote>

LAst season it was all James fault this season heaton, look at the players In front of them. Even cech and reina would struggle with that defence

What more can he do? Come off his line now and again would be a start.....

<br />

The fact is that we had to replace James with Gerken last season to stay up and unless we replace Heaton with Gerken this season I think we'll concede far too many goals from crosses/set pieces to have any chance of staying up. Heaton has fooled people with some fantastic saves but all pro's are able to do that. The rest of his game is sub-standard for Championship football and that is why Cardiff were happy to get rid.

I started this topic weeks ago and got a fair bit of stick.Why has it taken so long for so many to finally realise-NOT GOOD ENOUGH by far.Gerken at brum controlled his box unlike concrete feet who time and time again will not come of his line.He is part of the jelly defence that has to go ,long before the fans will start returning.Another average signing from Del unfortunately.

I started this topic weeks ago and got a fair bit of stick.Why has it taken so long for so many to finally realise-NOT GOOD ENOUGH by far.Gerken at brum controlled his box unlike concrete feet who time and time again will not come of his line.He is part of the jelly defence that has to go ,long before the fans will start returning.Another average signing from Del unfortunately.

Maybe 9 months without a clean sheet is not long enough to decide?

I'm a big fan of Heaton but I'll admit he does stay glued to his line far too much. However, with the amount of shots we have against us, it's only natural that he's going to concede more goals.

He has definitely kept us in a lot of games and made some phenomenal saves. He's the only one that's vocal and if you listen to him during matches he's constantly trying to get our sheit defence organised - he did not stop shouting at Fontaine yesterday.

The other thing I think he does fantastically is how quickly he looks to get the ball distributed.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gerks is a good keeper too.

Just my opinion.

We have conceded 45 goals in 22 league games, more than the other 91 league clubs.

Yes, bad defending is an obvious reason,but most keepers control the penalty area,Heaton doesn't seem to control his 6 yard box.

Our good run at the end of last season coincided with Gerkin taking over from James.

8 games undefeated wasn't it ?..........

We have conceded 45 goals in 22 league games, more than the other 91 league clubs.

Yes, bad defending is an obvious reason,but most keepers control the penalty area,Heaton doesn't seem to control his 6 yard box.

Our good run at the end of last season coincided with Gerkin taking over from James.

8 games undefeated wasn't it ?..........

I'd say in coincided more with Andre Bikey! Although, I do remember Gerk keeping us in that Forest match!

Archived